using testing/stable/unstable names with cdebootstrap - Debian

This is a discussion on using testing/stable/unstable names with cdebootstrap - Debian ; Hi, Is there a reason to not use stable/testing/unstable as the names in config/suites file ? Currently it only has code names like etch/lenny/sid. Ritesh -- Ritesh Raj Sarraf RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com "Necessity is the mother of invention." -----BEGIN PGP ...

  1. using testing/stable/unstable names with cdebootstrap

    --
    Ritesh Raj Sarraf
    RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com
    "Necessity is the mother of invention."

  2. Re: using testing/stable/unstable names with cdebootstrap

    Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
    > Is there a reason to not use stable/testing/unstable as the names in
    > config/suites file ?

    > Currently it only has code names like etch/lenny/sid.

    Code names are stable over time, but "testing" refers to a different
    distribution now than it did two years ago.
    cu andreas
    so grateful to you.'

  3. Re: using testing/stable/unstable names with cdebootstrap

    Ritesh Raj Sarraf writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a reason to not use stable/testing/unstable as the names in
    > config/suites file ?
    >
    > Currently it only has code names like etch/lenny/sid.
    >
    > Ritesh

    Does it matter anywhere? You can use testing as suite name on
    invocation and it will see that testing currently is lenny and use
    that.

    MfG
    Goswin

  4. Re: using testing/stable/unstable names with cdebootstrap

    Vincent Danjean writes:

    > Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
    >> Ritesh Raj Sarraf writes:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Is there a reason to not use stable/testing/unstable as the names in
    >>> config/suites file ?
    >>>
    >>> Currently it only has code names like etch/lenny/sid.
    >>>
    >>> Ritesh

    >> Does it matter anywhere? You can use testing as suite name on
    >> invocation and it will see that testing currently is lenny and use
    >> that.

    > How will it know the corresponding between the 'hard' code name (ie etch)
    > and the logical code name (ie stable) ? Do not forget that this is the
    > *same* package that will be in unstable, then testing, stable and oldstable.
    > So this cannot be hardcoded in the program.
    > Perhaps cdebootstrap can look at somewhere on the net (I do not use
    > cdebootstrap myself, so I do not know). But this feature (allowing testing, ...)
    > cannot be solved just by adding aliases directly in the package itself.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Vincent

    That is really simple. You parse dists/testing/Release and got the
    codename. Cdebootstrap already does this just fine afaik. At least you
    can bootstrap a testing and it will use lenny and so on.

    MfG
    Goswin