X.org and kde 3.4 upgrade - Debian

This is a discussion on X.org and kde 3.4 upgrade - Debian ; I'm currently running kde 3.3.2 and XF86 on sid, and am planning on upgrading to X.org. Is this safe to do now? Would it be better to first upgrade to kde 3.4 and then do the migration to X.org? (I've ...

  1. X.org and kde 3.4 upgrade

    I'm currently running kde 3.3.2 and XF86 on sid, and am planning on upgrading
    to X.org. Is this safe to do now? Would it be better to first upgrade to kde
    3.4 and then do the migration to X.org? (I've been delaying my kde upgrade
    until koffice is available.) I also have installed ati's fglrx driver, and
    was wondering if this would be automatically copied into X.org's
    configuration when I upgrade.

    TIA,

    Tim

  2. Re: X.org and kde 3.4 upgrade

    > I'm currently running kde 3.3.2 and XF86 on sid, and am planning on upgrading
    > to X.org. Is this safe to do now?

    If there's not any untransitioned application that you _need_...

    > Would it be better to first upgrade to kde
    > 3.4 and then do the migration to X.org?

    I'd upgrade to X.org first, and then KDE.

    --
    Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

    When all is summed up, a man never speaks of himself without loss; his
    accusations of himself are always believed; his praises never.
    -- Michel de Montaigne

  3. Re: X.org and kde 3.4 upgrade

    If you plan to upgrade to x.org be sure to first uninstall fglrx driver
    (it's for xfree), then install xorg, and last install fglrx driver for xorg.
    I use packages from
    http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.sta...installer.html

    A last note: with my mobile radeon 9700 fglrx 8.16.20 doesn't work, I
    use 8.14.13...

    Bye

    Adeodato Simó ha scritto:

    >>I'm currently running kde 3.3.2 and XF86 on sid, and am planning on upgrading
    >>to X.org. Is this safe to do now?
    >>

    > If there's not any untransitioned application that you _need_...
    >

    >>Would it be better to first upgrade to kde
    >>3.4 and then do the migration to X.org?
    >>

    > I'd upgrade to X.org first, and then KDE.

  4. Re: X.org and kde 3.4 upgrade

    On Sunday 18 September 2005 21:44, Adeodato Simó wrote:
    > > I'm currently running kde 3.3.2 and XF86 on sid, and am planning on
    > > upgrading to X.org. Is this safe to do now?

    > If there's not any untransitioned application that you _need_...
    >
    > > Would it be better to first upgrade to kde
    > > 3.4 and then do the migration to X.org?

    > I'd upgrade to X.org first, and then KDE.

    I second this.

    Anders

    --
    - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.2 - KMail 1.8.2 -

  5. Re: X.org and kde 3.4 upgrade

    On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 13:09 -0600, Tim Folger wrote:
    > I'm currently running kde 3.3.2 and XF86 on sid, and am planning on upgrading
    > to X.org. Is this safe to do now? Would it be better to first upgrade to kde
    > 3.4 and then do the migration to X.org? (I've been delaying my kde upgrade
    > until koffice is available.) I also have installed ati's fglrx driver, and
    > was wondering if this would be automatically copied into X.org's
    > configuration when I upgrade.

    I upgraded to X.org awhile before I upgraded KDE. I'd say upgrading to
    X.org first is the best way to go.

    Rick
    --
    Rick's Law: What cannot be imagined will be accomplished by a fool.

  6. Re: X.org and kde 3.4 upgrade

    > I'd upgrade to X.org first, and then KDE.
    >If you plan to upgrade to x.org be sure to first uninstall fglrx driver

    (it's for xfree), then install xorg, and last install fglrx driver for xorg.
    I use packages from
    > I second this.

    Thanks very much for the advice.

    Tim