Getting latest KDE (Quanta) in testing - Debian

This is a discussion on Getting latest KDE (Quanta) in testing - Debian ; I've had a bunch of problems with Quanta in testing (etch), and have learned that some of them may be solved in later versions. So I'm interested in running Quanta 3.4, or even the soon to be 3.5 in testing, ...

  1. Getting latest KDE (Quanta) in testing

    I've had a bunch of problems with Quanta in testing (etch), and have
    learned that some of them may be solved in later versions. So I'm
    interested in running Quanta 3.4, or even the soon to be 3.5 in
    testing, which is currently at KDE 3.3.

    There were messages about backports recently, but they, and the Kalyxo
    project it references, appear to be about backports to stable
    (sarge). Also, they concern backports of the entire KDE system; I
    would prefer to get just the one package.

    I believe testing has already diverged significantly from stable
    because it has made, or is in the middle of, the transition to g++ 4.
    So I don't think backports to stable will work for testing.

    I see that 3.4 is in unstable (sid), but if I try to pull it in I will
    also get lots of other sid stuff, KDE and otherwise. If possible, I'd
    like to avoid being that bleeding edge.

    Does it make any sense to think about building Quanta (or other KDE
    apps) in an earlier KDE environment, or is that just a bad idea?

    Any recommendations about how best to proceed? Basically, my goal is
    to get a cutting edge Quanta with minimal necessary disruption to the
    rest of the system.

    Thanks.

    Ross Boylan

    P.S. I've seen some references to the Kalyxo project having changed
    it's name. Not sure what's that about, and don't see mention of it at
    http://kalyxo.mornfall.net/.

    My problems with Quanta have included being confused by the choices in
    the new project wizard, some of which apparently have been eliminated,
    and being unable to up or download sites via ftp, which may be some
    general kio issue.

  2. Re: Getting latest KDE (Quanta) in testing

    Ross Boylan wrote:
    > Does it make any sense to think about building Quanta (or other KDE
    > apps) in an earlier KDE environment, or is that just a bad idea?

    The most simple way is to update to KDE 3.4.1 from this repository (add this
    to /etc/apt/sources.list and then aptitude update;aptitude dist-upgrade):

    deb http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.1/ ./

    and then you can compile 3.4.2 quanta if you wish and if Quanta 3.3 (which
    is in that repository) is not good enough for you.

    Matej

    If Patrick Henry thought that taxation without representation was
    bad, he should see how bad it is with representation.