usb storage problems - Debian

This is a discussion on usb storage problems - Debian ; I continue to be stumped by USB storage devices in KDE. Only once with some older version of Knoppix did a USB stick appear automatically on the desktop when plugged in. I don't need this, but I do need at ...

  1. usb storage problems

    I continue to be stumped by USB storage devices in KDE. Only once with some
    older version of Knoppix did a USB stick appear automatically on the desktop
    when plugged in. I don't need this, but I do need at least to know under
    which name the device can be mounted. Even without other SCSI devices, the
    devices seem to vary from sda1 through sda5 to sdd1. I did once in a fit of
    frenzy create 20 different lines in /etc/fstab in order to find the right
    device, but it didn't really work. Years ago I could find the right device
    in /proc somewhere, but this no longer seems possible.

    People have recommended pmount, but all I get is:
    "find_sysfs_device: looking for sysfs directory for device 8:1
    Fehler: konnte sysfs-Verzeichnis nicht erfragen"

    People have recommended hal, but I am loathe to install this, because it would
    involve the deinstallation of about 20 packages on my system.

    People have recommended a 2.6 kernel, but my system with a 2.6 kernel has the
    same problems as with the 2.4 kernel.

    Looking through the internet I see a great many questions of this nature, but
    no simple answers. Also even worse, often when having found the right device
    name, it is impossible to mount because the system claims that it has the
    wrong file type or a damaged superblock even when this is definately not the
    case.

    Very occasionally when trying these things, KDE and even the whole system
    freeze up completely so that the machine must be rebooted by removing the
    power.

    Surely it must be possible in this day and age to get where Macintosh was 10
    years ago with SCSI, even if it wasn't hot-pluggable then. Devices appeared
    automatically on the desktop or could be easily mounted with some utility. I
    don't even need hot-plugable, but I do need a simple method to mount my
    camera, SD-cards, and external USB drive. Anybody got any ideas how to
    proceed?

    Theo Schmidt

  2. Re: usb storage problems

    > I continue to be stumped by USB storage devices in KDE. Only once with some
    > older version of Knoppix did a USB stick appear automatically on the desktop
    > when plugged in. I don't need this, but I do need at least to know under
    > which name the device can be mounted. Even without other SCSI devices, the
    > devices seem to vary from sda1 through sda5 to sdd1. I did once in a fit of
    > frenzy create 20 different lines in /etc/fstab in order to find the right
    > device, but it didn't really work. Years ago I could find the right device
    > in /proc somewhere, but this no longer seems possible.
    >
    > People have recommended pmount, but all I get is:
    > "find_sysfs_device: looking for sysfs directory for device 8:1
    > Fehler: konnte sysfs-Verzeichnis nicht erfragen"
    >
    > People have recommended hal, but I am loathe to install this, because it would
    > involve the deinstallation of about 20 packages on my system.
    >
    > People have recommended a 2.6 kernel, but my system with a 2.6 kernel has the
    > same problems as with the 2.4 kernel.
    >
    > Looking through the internet I see a great many questions of this nature, but
    > no simple answers. Also even worse, often when having found the right device
    > name, it is impossible to mount because the system claims that it has the
    > wrong file type or a damaged superblock even when this is definately not the
    > case.
    >
    > Very occasionally when trying these things, KDE and even the whole system
    > freeze up completely so that the machine must be rebooted by removing the
    > power.
    >
    > Surely it must be possible in this day and age to get where Macintosh was 10
    > years ago with SCSI, even if it wasn't hot-pluggable then. Devices appeared
    > automatically on the desktop or could be easily mounted with some utility. I
    > don't even need hot-plugable, but I do need a simple method to mount my
    > camera, SD-cards, and external USB drive. Anybody got any ideas how to
    > proceed?

    I wanted to get all of this stuff working when I upgraded to the new KDE. I
    first of all installed udev, hal and pmount, but it still didn't work. Finally
    I spotted that udev needed a 2.6.12 kernel (I had 2.6.10 before), I upgraded
    to this and everything seems to be working fine. I can now plug in a memory
    stick or put in a new CD, the device icon appears on the desktop and clicking
    on the icon mounts the device :-)

    FYI: Pure Sid and the stock kernel.

    Cheers

    James Wells

  3. Re: usb storage problems

    Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 11:03 schrieb Theo Schmidt:
    > I continue to be stumped by USB storage devices in KDE. Only once with some
    > older version of Knoppix did a USB stick appear automatically on the
    > desktop when plugged in. I don't need this, but I do need at least to know
    > under which name the device can be mounted. Even without other SCSI
    > devices, the devices seem to vary from sda1 through sda5 to sdd1. I did
    > once in a fit of frenzy create 20 different lines in /etc/fstab in order to
    > find the right device, but it didn't really work. Years ago I could find
    > the right device in /proc somewhere, but this no longer seems possible.

    That's how I currently do this (Debian Etch with X and KDE from Sid):
    $ cat /proc/partitions
    [...]
    8 0 256000 sda
    8 1 255984 sda1
    $ pmount /dev/sda1

    That's it, it is now available as /media/sda1. No fstab entries, not root
    login, no udev and with linux-2.6.11.
    Instead, you can also look at the dmesg output.
    Or you become root and look at:
    sg_scan -i
    sg_map -sd

    However: linux-2.6 brings you some advantage: if you only have one memory
    stick to take care of, it is always the same device (for me: /dev/sda).

    All this didn't change in quite a while. Personally, I like a static /dev.

    HS

  4. Re: usb storage problems

    I had a similar question maybe ten days ago and it is now working
    flawlessly. I have:

    Linux 2.6.12
    udev
    pmount
    hal
    KDE 3.4.2

    All I had to do was configure the desktop and select Behavior then the
    Device icons tab and enable Show device icons. From there I selected
    the ones I want to show. My CDs and DVDs appear as well as my USB
    stick and camera (USB mass storage). None of them mount automatically
    which is what I prefer as it is easy enough to right click the icon and
    mount the device.

    This functionality rocks!

    - Nate >>

    --
    Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
    Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.

  5. Re: usb storage problems

    Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 12.32 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:
    > > I continue to be stumped by USB storage devices in KDE...

    > That's how I currently do this (Debian Etch with X and KDE from Sid):
    > $ cat /proc/partitions
    > [...]
    > 8 0 256000 sda
    > 8 1 255984 sda1

    Thank you for this tip, Hendrik. I get:

    theo@tbox:~$ cat /proc/partitions
    major minor #blocks name

    8 0 1048575 sda (this cannot be correct)
    3 0 6297480 hda
    3 1 305203 hda1
    3 2 5992245 hda2

    Only *10 minutes later* did sda1 show up:

    major minor #blocks name

    8 0 31360 sda
    8 1 31280 sda1
    3 0 6297480 hda
    3 1 305203 hda1
    3 2 5992245 hda2

    > $ pmount /dev/sda1

    theo@tbox:~$ pmount -d /dev/sda1
    resolved /dev/sda1 to device /dev/sda1
    mount point to be used: /media/sda1
    no iocharset given, current locale encoding is ISO-8859-15
    Cleaning lock directory /var/lock/pmount/_dev_sda1
    device_whitelist: checking /etc/pmount.allow...
    device_whitlisted(): nothing matched, returning 0
    find_sysfs_device: looking for sysfs directory for device 8:1
    Fehler: konnte sysfs-Verzeichnis nicht erfragen

    There is absolutely nothing in my folder /sys.

    > Instead, you can also look at the dmesg output.

    hub.c: new USB device 00:02.2-1, assigned address 2
    usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0xd7d/0x240) is not claimed by any active
    driver.
    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
    Vendor: Model: USB Card Reader Rev: 1.05
    Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
    sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
    Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
    Additional sense indicates Medium not present
    sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
    sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
    I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
    ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed.
    I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
    unable to read partition table
    WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
    USB Mass Storage device found at 2
    USB Mass Storage support registered.
    sda: Write Protect is off
    sda: sda1

    > Or you become root and look at:
    > sg_scan -i

    /dev/sg0: scsi0 channel=0 id=0 lun=0 [em]
    LG CD-ROM CRD-8322B 1.07 [rmb=1 cmdq=0 pqual=0 pdev=0x5]
    /dev/sg1: scsi1 channel=0 id=0 lun=0 [em]
    USB Card Reader 1.05 [rmb=1 cmdq=0 pqual=0 pdev=0x0]

    The card itself simply does not show up.

    > sg_map -sd

    /dev/sg0
    /dev/sg1 /dev/sda

    ditto.

    Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 11.11 schrieb David Pastern:
    > > method to mount my camera, SD-cards, and external USB drive...

    > My advice is to be running (as root):
    >
    > tail -n 50 /var/log/messages
    >
    > and then plug the usb device in. It should show, and show the
    > device ;-)

    Thanks, David.

    Could the uhci problems below be part of my problems?

    Sep 18 09:50:58 tbox pci.agent[543]: eepro100: already loaded
    Sep 18 09:50:58 tbox pci.agent[543]: e100: can't be loaded
    Sep 18 09:50:59 tbox pci.agent[543]: missing kernel or user mode driver e100
    Sep 18 09:50:59 tbox pci.agent[543]: usb-uhci: blacklisted
    Sep 18 09:50:59 tbox kernel: uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface
    driver v1.1
    Sep 18 09:50:59 tbox pci.agent[543]: uhci: can't be loaded
    Sep 18 09:50:59 tbox pci.agent[543]: missing kernel or user mode driver uhci
    Sep 18 09:51:03 tbox usb.agent[632]: usbcore: already loaded

    The rest of the output is similar to the dmesg output at the beginning of this
    mail.

    Thanks also for the messages indicating that with the newest kernel my
    problems will be over. I live in hope! (I'm still using 2.4.20-xfs because
    I'm wary of replacing the kernel, having had problems with this in the past.)

    Theo Schmidt

  6. Re: usb storage problems

    > theo@tbox:~$ pmount -d /dev/sda1
    > resolved /dev/sda1 to device /dev/sda1
    > mount point to be used: /media/sda1
    > no iocharset given, current locale encoding is ISO-8859-15
    > Cleaning lock directory /var/lock/pmount/_dev_sda1
    > device_whitelist: checking /etc/pmount.allow...
    > device_whitlisted(): nothing matched, returning 0
    > find_sysfs_device: looking for sysfs directory for device 8:1
    > Fehler: konnte sysfs-Verzeichnis nicht erfragen
    >
    > There is absolutely nothing in my folder /sys.

    Did you have:
    none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    in your /etc/fstab?

    --
    Petr Balį¹ - petr at balas dot cz

  7. Re: usb storage problems

    Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 21:34 schrieb Petr BalĆ”Å”:
    > > theo@tbox:~$ pmount -d /dev/sda1
    > > resolved /dev/sda1 to device /dev/sda1
    > > mount point to be used: /media/sda1
    > > no iocharset given, current locale encoding is ISO-8859-15
    > > Cleaning lock directory /var/lock/pmount/_dev_sda1
    > > device_whitelist: checking /etc/pmount.allow...
    > > device_whitlisted(): nothing matched, returning 0
    > > find_sysfs_device: looking for sysfs directory for device 8:1
    > > Fehler: konnte sysfs-Verzeichnis nicht erfragen
    > >
    > > There is absolutely nothing in my folder /sys.

    > Did you have:
    > none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    > in your /etc/fstab?

    Simply install the sysfsutils and you don't need that line.

    HS

  8. Re: usb storage problems

    Op zondag 18 september 2005 14:47, schreef Nate Bargmann:
    > I had a similar question maybe ten days ago and it is now working
    > flawlessly. I have:
    >
    > Linux 2.6.12
    > udev
    > pmount
    > hal
    > KDE 3.4.2
    >
    > All I had to do was configure the desktop and select Behavior then the
    > Device icons tab and enable Show device icons. From there I selected
    > the ones I want to show. My CDs and DVDs appear as well as my USB
    > stick and camera (USB mass storage). None of them mount automatically
    > which is what I prefer as it is easy enough to right click the icon and
    > mount the device.

    There is no need to right click, (double) left click and it gets mounted and
    opened automagical...

    > This functionality rocks!
    >
    > - Nate >>
    >
    > --
    > Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
    > Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
    > http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/ | "Debian, the choice of
    > My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @ | a GNU generation!"
    > http://www.networksplus.net/n0nb/ | http://www.debian.org

  9. Re: usb storage problems

    On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 01:04 +1000, Theo Schmidt wrote:

    > Thanks, David.
    >
    > Could the uhci problems below be part of my problems?
    >
    > Sep 18 09:50:58 tbox pci.agent[543]: eepro100: already loaded
    > Sep 18 09:50:58 tbox pci.agent[543]: e100: can't be loaded
    > Sep 18 09:50:59 tbox pci.agent[543]: missing kernel or user mode driver e100
    > Sep 18 09:50:59 tbox pci.agent[543]: usb-uhci: blacklisted
    > Sep 18 09:50:59 tbox kernel: uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface
    > driver v1.1
    > Sep 18 09:50:59 tbox pci.agent[543]: uhci: can't be loaded
    > Sep 18 09:50:59 tbox pci.agent[543]: missing kernel or user mode driver uhci
    > Sep 18 09:51:03 tbox usb.agent[632]: usbcore: already loaded
    >
    > The rest of the output is similar to the dmesg output at the beginning of this
    > mail.
    >
    > Thanks also for the messages indicating that with the newest kernel my
    > problems will be over. I live in hope! (I'm still using 2.4.20-xfs because
    > I'm wary of replacing the kernel, having had problems with this in the past.)
    >
    > Theo Schmidt

    See if you can load the uhci module via:

    modprobe uhci

    If not, it's not built into your kernel. To be honest, I'm not sure if
    uhci will have anything to do with this or not. I've seen my iPod mini
    do similar things (admittedly it's definitely a piece of faulty hardware
    in my case). There are 3 types of USB systems as far as I can remember
    - ehci, uhci, ohci. I generally make sure that any kernel that I have
    has all 3 compiled.

    You're using a very old kernel now as well - 2.4.20 is ancient. I'd
    really recommend upgrading to a newer kernel, more than likely one of
    the Debian 2.6 kernel images that are available. I noticed that you're
    using xfs as well - I have no experience with xfs, so I can't say if
    that's possibly something to do with this (I doubt it though to be
    honest).

    Hope this helps,

    Dave

  10. Re: usb storage problems

    * Henk Loke [2005 Sep 18 15:28 -0500]:

    > There is no need to right click, (double) left click and it gets mounted and
    > opened automagical...

    True, but I don't normally use Konquerer. I'm still a Midnight
    Commander fan.

    - Nate >>

    --
    Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
    Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
    http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/ | "Debian, the choice of
    My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @ | a GNU generation!"
    http://www.networksplus.net/n0nb/ | http://www.debian.org

  11. Re: usb storage problems

    Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 21.34 schrieb Petr Balį¹:
    > > theo@tbox:~$ pmount -d /dev/sda1

    > > find_sysfs_device: looking for sysfs directory for device 8:1
    > > Fehler: konnte sysfs-Verzeichnis nicht erfragen
    > >
    > > There is absolutely nothing in my folder /sys.

    > Did you have:
    > none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    > in your /etc/fstab?

    No. I have added it, but pmount still doesn't work.

    Hendrik wrote:
    > Simply install the sysfsutils and you don't need that line.

    I see this won't work with the 2.4 kernel.

    Dave wrote:
    > See if you can load the uhci module via:
    >
    > modprobe uhci

    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/usb/uhci.o: insmod uhci failed

    > If not, it's not built into your kernel....You're using a very old kernel
    > now as well - 2.4.20 is ancient. I'd
    > really recommend upgrading to a newer kernel, more than likely one of
    > the Debian 2.6 kernel images that are available.

    OK, I guess I'll have to now. It still seems strange to me that I can't geta
    decent USB mounting system going with a 2.4 kernel, given that Sarge still
    installs a 2.4 kernel unless you specificly ask for the 2.6 one.

    > I noticed that you're
    > using xfs as well - I have no experience with xfs, so I can't say if
    > that's possibly something to do with this (I doubt it though to be
    > honest).

    No idea why the kernel is called that. I don't use xfs.

    Thanks everybody for the help. I want to solve this once and for all. At the
    moment I have to wait ten minutes, then I can mount manually only one of my
    three cards as root and use it only as root. KDE will find and mount it only
    if it is included and correctly configured in /etc/fstab.

    Theo Schmidt

  12. Re: usb storage problems

    > Thanks everybody for the help. I want to solve this once and for all. At the
    > moment I have to wait ten minutes, then I can mount manually only one of my
    > three cards as root and use it only as root. KDE will find and mount it only
    > if it is included and correctly configured in /etc/fstab.

    To be able to use pmount as user you need to add it to the 'plugdev' group in /etc/group.

    Regards,

    Serge

  13. Re: usb storage problems

    On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 10:55:14AM +0200, Theo Schmidt wrote:

    > OK, I guess I'll have to now. It still seems strange to me that I can't get a
    > decent USB mounting system going with a 2.4 kernel, given that Sarge still
    > installs a 2.4 kernel unless you specificly ask for the 2.6 one.

    The kernel that ships with sarge (2.6.8) is not the best of the 2.6
    series, fetch 2.6.11, at least. Then all will work wonderfully. I had
    the same problem, with usb, that was not working properly (with
    2.6.8), until I solved it by switching to 2.6.11.
    Also, see this article:
    http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/126 (for usb
    administration)
    and
    http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/202 (for kernels)

  14. Re: usb storage problems

    Am Montag, 19. September 2005 11.37 schrieb Antonio Rodriguez:
    > The kernel that ships with sarge (2.6.8) is not the best of the 2.6
    > series, fetch 2.6.11, at least. Then all will work wonderfully. I had
    > the same problem, with usb, that was not working properly (with
    > 2.6.8), until I solved it by switching to 2.6.11.

    Thanks, Tony. I'm now running 2.6.12-1-686. pmount now works for my
    CompactFlash card (Serge wrote: "To be able to use pmount as user you need to
    add it to the 'plugdev' group in /etc/group..": Done that, thanks). Getting
    there slowly. I still can't mount or even find my SecureDigital cards.

    After pmounting, the device shows up on the desktop and in the KDE devices
    applet and opens in Konqueror on click.

    Question: how can I umount (easily)? pmount doesn't have a umounting option
    and the standard umount requires root. Right-clicking in KDE gives WTTE "only
    root can umount".

    Theo Schmidt

  15. Re: usb storage problems

    On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 02:51:20PM +0200, Theo Schmidt wrote:

    > Question: how can I umount (easily)? pmount doesn't have a umounting option
    > and the standard umount requires root. Right-clicking in KDE gives WTTE "only

    Check your /etc/fstab file, and add a line containing the mounting
    point for the device where the device gets mounted, taking care of the
    fstab column where users are indicated (do cat /etc/fstab to see whats
    going on, look for the line for the floppy for clues, see info fstab)

  16. Re: usb storage problems

    If you're using pmount you don't need to touch the /etc/fstab file.
    pmount does have an unmounting option: 'pumount' but this is automatically by KDE.

    Regards,

    Serge

    On Monday 19 September 2005 15:15, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
    > On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 02:51:20PM +0200, Theo Schmidt wrote:
    >
    > > Question: how can I umount (easily)? pmount doesn't have a umounting option
    > > and the standard umount requires root. Right-clicking in KDE gives WTTE "only

    > Check your /etc/fstab file, and add a line containing the mounting
    > point for the device where the device gets mounted, taking care of the
    > fstab column where users are indicated (do cat /etc/fstab to see whats
    > going on, look for the line for the floppy for clues, see info fstab)

  17. Re: usb storage problems

    Am Montag, 19. September 2005 15.15 schrieb Antonio Rodriguez:
    > > Question: how can I umount (easily)? pmount doesn't have a umounting
    > > option and the standard umount requires root. Right-clicking in KDE gives
    > > WTTE "only

    > Check your /etc/fstab file, and add a line containing the mounting
    > point for the device where the device gets mounted, taking care of the
    > fstab column where users are indicated (do cat /etc/fstab to see whats
    > going on, look for the line for the floppy for clues, see info fstab)

    Well, I started using pmount as suggested earlier in this thread in order to
    avoid an orgy of /dev/sdxy (x=a to e, y=1 to 5) entries in fstab.

    I understand what you are saying, Tony: for a known device adding the correct
    line in /etc/fstab everything will work fine.

    However I'm not bugging you all so thoroughly and slightly OT with this
    never-ending thread just for myself: I want to know the best answer when some
    beginner says: "I cannot connect my camera/USB stick." I can't tell him to
    edit fstab or install hal. Pmount might just be within the capabilities of
    joe_average if I can tell him how to umount the device as well. Otherwise
    Derek's advice of using Kubuntu may be the only option, or wait for Etch.

    Theo Schmidt

  18. Re: usb storage problems [somewhat solved]

    Am Montag, 19. September 2005 15.41 schrieb Serge Koganovitsch:
    > If you're using pmount you don't need to touch the /etc/fstab file.
    > pmount does have an unmounting option: 'pumount' but this is automatically
    > by KDE.

    Super, that's the missing puzzle piece!

    So here is a micro-howto on USB storage devices, using some of everybody's
    suggestions:

    1) See if pmount is available and install it if it isn't. Become root and type
    adduser plugdev
    2) Check /etc/fstab for the line
    none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    Add this (as root) if not there. Make sure there is a carriage return (empty
    line) at the end of /etc/fstab. If you have sysfsutils installed you don't
    need this line.
    3) Plug in device.
    4) Type the command pmount /dev/sda1 or pmount -d /dev/sda1
    5) Open /media/sda1 in Konqueror. An icon for this will be in the KDE applet
    "devices" or on the desktop if you have set up KDE this way.
    6) If this doesn't work, try pmount /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1, etc.
    7) If this doesn't work, start QTparted, which will show all partitions and
    their exact names.
    8) Before removing the device, type pumount /dev/sda1 or pumount /media/sda1
    (use the correct partition if it isn't sda1)

    For the above to work properly, you may need a kernel newer than 2.6.11

    If you can install udev and hal, the above may work automatically, not
    requiring pmount.

    Good sumup?

    Theo Schmidt