Xine error - Debian

This is a discussion on Xine error - Debian ; Hello Everyone, Please help me. I have debian installed on my laptop, the unstable version. I have been trying to get xine working for a long time, but I never managed. My machine is voyage 64 3200+ A list from ...

  1. Xine error

    Hello Everyone,

    Please help me. I have debian installed on my laptop, the unstable
    version. I have been trying to get xine working for a long time, but I
    never managed. My machine is voyage 64 3200+ A list from Evesham.

    The following is the output from dmesg:

    ATAPI device hdc:
    Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
    Incompatible medium installed -- (asc=0x30, ascq=0x00)
    The failed "Read Cd/Dvd Capacity" packet command was:
    "25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "

    Does anyone know what is wrong with xine, or is it my machine.

    Thanks.

    Larinia

  2. Re: Xine error

    I don't think that is an XINE problem. I have several DVDs which
    get exactly the same error.

    However, recovering WinXP on the same hardware read the DVDs
    without problems.

    When I reinstalled Debian, I did so from as close to complete
    Unstable as I could, to avoid the missing KDElib4 that had
    plagued me when trying to keep unstable after the Sarge release.

    Now I can read some of the DVDs which were giving the error, but
    not all of them. The ones that fail give the error you provide
    below.

    Curt-

    On Saturday 17 September 2005 18:29, larinia was heard to say:

    --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  3. Re: Xine error

    On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 20:25 +1000, larinia wrote:
    > Well, I have done lots of Googling myself for the last few months.

    OK, that's great!

    > Most post started ok, but has no solution to it. Some post has no
    > reply.

    Yeah I noticed. But - several of the posts that I saw led to faulty
    hardware. A few suspected the kernel, but no proof.

    > I have tried all sorts of thing, I have also libdvdcss, but nothing
    > worked (for all types of DVD).

    libdvdcss won't have anything to do with this. It's not reading the
    disk at all.

    > I have a feeling it is a faulty drive.

    So do I.

    > Is there a way to prove it is the drive that is faulty?

    There probably is, cos I use a desktop pc, and not a laptop (the scum of
    proprietary hardware imho and I avoid them like the proverbial plague
    for those reasons), I'd usually swap the drive over. That quickly tells
    me if I'm right. Unfortunately, with the nature of laptops, that's not
    so easily done.

    You could try a few things:

    1. Update the kernel

    2. Update the firmware for the dvd device (if at all possible, which I
    doubt with a laptop). Not easy to do anyways, since most firmware
    updaters are either dos or windows based.

    3. Make sure that the DVD disks are ok (try them in a known working dvd
    rom drive etc).

    4. If you have the ability, try an external dvd rom drive (preferably
    firewire), it'd be slow, but if it works, then it'd disprove a kernel
    issue I feel.

    5. What does lspci show? Does it show seek errors for that drive?

    6. Check that you're a member of the audio and video groups, check the
    permissions on the dvd drom device etc etc. Basic permissions stuff.

    7. Does the disk play normal audio CDs and/or data CDs ok? For audio
    CDs i'd suggest using kscd - I feel that as long as the audio cable goes
    to the dvd rom drive, and you have the permissions correct, and the
    right device selected in kscd, if it fails to still play, it's a
    hardware issue.

    Is the machine still under warranty? If so, I'd return it for testing.
    Make the manufacturer earn their $$$.

    > I am quite new to Debian, so any help will be appreciated.

    That's OK. I've been using Debian or Debian based distros now for 3,
    nearly 4 years, and I'm still learning every day.

    > Larinia

    Best wishes,

    Dave

  4. Re: Xine error

    On Sunday 18 September 2005 07:39, larinia was heard to say:
    > Thanks Dave, I'll give them a try and see how it goes,
    > otherwise I will re-install wondows (last resort). The next
    > computer I buy won't be a laptop for sure!
    >
    > Larinia

    Mine, also, is a laptop. Unless I can get the problem to reoccur
    in Windows, the place I bought it won't service it. That's why I
    wasn't sure if it was driver based or not, since I did put
    Windows on it, and the "failing" DVDs were able to be read.

    Worse, the warrantee specifies that if I install anything over
    the WinXP that the laptop came with, my hardware warrantee is
    void.

    The service people had it for a month, because of a DVD drive
    failure, I only got it back a week ago. But the drive they put
    in isn't exactly the same as the one that was in it before. The
    lens configuration is different. But, like I said, if I cannot
    get it to fail in Windows then I just have to put up and shut
    up.

    The Microsoft OEM stranglehold must be broken!

    Curt-

    --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  5. Re: Xine error

    Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 14:11 schrieb Curt Howland:
    > Worse, the warrantee specifies that if I install anything over
    > the WinXP that the laptop came with, my hardware warrantee is
    > void.

    Hmm, vendors often write things that are not compliant with local law (they
    try anyway), e.g. the above statement would probably be meaningless in
    Germany.

    HS

  6. Re: Xine error

    On Sunday 18 September 2005 08:53, Hendrik Sattler was heard to
    say:
    > Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 14:11 schrieb Curt Howland:
    > > Worse, the warrantee specifies that if I install anything
    > > over the WinXP that the laptop came with, my hardware
    > > warrantee is void.

    > Hmm, vendors often write things that are not compliant with
    > local law (they try anyway), e.g. the above statement would
    > probably be meaningless in Germany.

    Quite likely. Governments do tend to interfere with freedom of
    contract.

    It's been "in the shop" three times, the second time the DVD
    drive failed so badly that I couldn't get the Windows recovery
    disks to read. I thought they would notice it booted Linux, but
    sure enough it came back with WinXP.

    Backups are a GoodThing(tm), one never knows when they might be
    needed.

    Curt-

    --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  7. Re: Xine error

    On Sunday 18 September 2005 15:26, Curt Howland wrote:
    > > Hmm, vendors often write things that are not compliant with
    > > local law (they try anyway), e.g. the above statement would
    > > probably be meaningless in Germany.

    > Quite likely. Governments do tend to interfere with freedom of
    > contract.

    Ohhh riiight!! It's all good in the name of freedom of contract. Get the f.
    out of here with that ..

    I buy a piece of hardware, it's my universal right to do whatever the hell I
    want with it.

    Anders

    --
    - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.2 - KMail 1.8.2 -

  8. Re: Xine error

    Good sir, please, don't misunderstand me. I agree with you
    completely, in theory.

    However, just like people choosing to publish their works under
    the GPL, the hardware manufacturer may specify any limitations
    they wish. Opening the case, dropping it in water, for that
    matter dropping it at all, will all void the hardware warentee.
    They may still fix it, but they will charge me for their labors.

    I do not like it any more than you do, but then I didn't know
    about it until after it was purchased.

    Curt-

    On Sunday 18 September 2005 10:05 it was so written:
    > On Sunday 18 September 2005 15:26, Curt Howland wrote:
    > > > Hmm, vendors often write things that are not compliant
    > > > with local law (they try anyway), e.g. the above statement
    > > > would probably be meaningless in Germany.

    > > Quite likely. Governments do tend to interfere with freedom
    > > of contract.

    > Ohhh riiight!! It's all good in the name of freedom of
    > contract. Get the f. out of here with that ..
    >
    > I buy a piece of hardware, it's my universal right to do
    > whatever the hell I want with it.
    >
    > Anders
    >

    > --
    > - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.2 - KMail 1.8.2 -

    --
    September 11th, 2001
    planning advocates in American history

  9. Re: Xine error

    On Sunday 18 September 2005 17:36, Curt Howland wrote:
    > Good sir, please, don't misunderstand me. I agree with you
    > completely, in theory.

    Sorry. It is easy to get the wrong idea in a written discussion.

    Anders

    --
    - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.2 - KMail 1.8.2 -

  10. Re: Xine error

    On Sunday 18 September 2005 11:25, larinia wrote:
    > Well, I have done lots of Googling myself for the last few months. Most
    > post started ok, but has no solution to it. Some post has no reply. I
    > have tried all sorts of thing, I have also libdvdcss, but nothing worked
    > (for all types of DVD). I have a feeling it is a faulty drive. Is there
    > a way to prove it is the drive that is faulty? I am quite new to Debian,
    > so any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Larinia

    Try a different linux distribution, or, even, windows.

    If nothing can play the dvd, it's probably a reasonable assumption to blame
    the drive. Alternatively, drives are REALLY cheap now, so you could pick up
    a nice new DVD drive and see

    David

  11. Re: Xine error

    Hendrik Sattler wrote:
    > Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 14:11 schrieb Curt Howland:
    >
    >>Worse, the warrantee specifies that if I install anything over
    >>the WinXP that the laptop came with, my hardware warrantee is
    >>void.

    > Hmm, vendors often write things that are not compliant with local law (they
    > try anyway), e.g. the above statement would probably be meaningless in
    > Germany.

    Not only in Germany but in the whole European Union. All hardware has a
    2 year guarantee by law (for the first six months problems are assumed
    to be caused by manufacturing errors and must be replaced, for the next
    18 months it is the client who must prove that the piece is faulty).
    Certain companies may offer a longer "straightforward" guarantee time,
    but that's what the European Directive ("Directiva Europea" in Spanish,
    I'm not sure about the translation).

    So the guarantee about installing anything other than WinXP on you
    laptop probably refers to the computer as a whole; but if you live in
    Europe then the RAM modules, processor, DVD drive, etc etc are still
    under legal guarantee if the two years aren't up. If that is the case,
    I'd recommend visiting a Consummers Office to get more accurate
    information as to what to do next.
    --
    Lu.

    ------------------------------------
    I will live forever or die trying.
    ------------------------------------

  12. Re: Xine error

    Curt Howland wrote:

    > Good sir, please, don't misunderstand me. I agree with you
    > completely, in theory.
    >
    > However, just like people choosing to publish their works under
    > the GPL, the hardware manufacturer may specify any limitations
    > they wish. Opening the case, dropping it in water, for that
    > matter dropping it at all, will all void the hardware warentee.
    > They may still fix it, but they will charge me for their labors.
    >
    > I do not like it any more than you do, but then I didn't know
    > about it until after it was purchased.

    And that's precisely why governments do (and should) "interfere" in freedom
    of contract. It's one thing to have a freely entered contract, it's
    something completely different when the contract is supposedly in force as
    soon as you open the box - even though you have had no chance to read said
    contract.
    --
    derek

  13. Re: Xine error

    On Monday 19 September 2005 10:48, Derek Broughton was heard to
    say:
    > And that's precisely why governments do (and should)
    > "interfere" in freedom of contract.

    Not at all. I should have read it. The fault is entirely mine.

    > It's one thing to have a
    > freely entered contract, it's something completely different
    > when the contract is supposedly in force as soon as you open
    > the box - even though you have had no chance to read said
    > contract.

    I didn't say I didn't have the chance. I said I hadn't read it
    prior to purchasing the machine. It was there, fully visible
    right along with the rest of the exclusions, like dropping,
    crushing, immersion.

    It does, however, ensure that I will never buy Sony hardware
    without reading the warrantee explicitly again. That is the
    power of the "free" market, which does indeed require me to take
    care of my self since BigMommyGovernment won't. Not that she
    ever does take care of anyone but herself anyway. If she did,
    there wouldn't be any Consumer Reports, Underwriters Labs, or
    private security agencies of any kind.

    I can suggest the articles on http://www.mises.org/ for
    information on quite a wide range of topics.

    Also, Emperor Linux and LinuxCertified both sell laptops
    comparable to this rather remarkable machine with Linux
    preinstalled, so there won't be any need to buy a "WinXP" only
    machine in the future. That is something I'm very happy about,
    and I wish I had known about them prior to this purchase.

    If you would like to continue the discussion, shall we go
    off-list?

    > derek

    Curt-