Kaffeine 0.7.1 findings - Debian

This is a discussion on Kaffeine 0.7.1 findings - Debian ; Hello, I installed Kaffeine 0.7.1 and found the following problems: 1) xine engine doesn't work at all. Whenever I open a movie for playing, Kaffeine crashes or at least exits silently. These are the last signs of live: kaffeine: PostFilter: ...

  1. Kaffeine 0.7.1 findings

    Hello,

    I installed Kaffeine 0.7.1 and found the following problems:

    1) xine engine doesn't work at all. Whenever I open a movie for playing,
    Kaffeine crashes or at least exits silently. These are the last signs of
    live:

    kaffeine: PostFilter: Set parameter 'method' to value 'LinearBlend'
    kaffeine: PostFilter: tvtime Apply integer value 2 on offset 0
    kaffeine: PostFilter: Set parameter 'enabled' to value '1'
    kaffeine: PostFilter: tvtime Apply integer value 1 on offset 4
    kaffeine: PostFilter: Set parameter 'pulldown' to value 'none'
    kaffeine: PostFilter: tvtime Apply integer value 0 on offset 8
    kaffeine: PostFilter: Set parameter 'framerate_mode' to value 'half_top'
    kaffeine: PostFilter: tvtime Apply integer value 1 on offset 12
    kaffeine: PostFilter: Set parameter 'judder_correction' to value '0'
    kaffeine: PostFilter: tvtime Apply integer value 0 on offset 16
    kaffeine: PostFilter: tvtime Apply integer value 0 on offset 16
    kaffeine: PostFilter: Set parameter 'use_progressive_frame_flag' to value
    '1'
    kaffeine: PostFilter: tvtime Apply integer value 1 on offset 20
    kaffeine: PostFilter: Set parameter 'chroma_filter' to value '0'
    kaffeine: PostFilter: tvtime Apply integer value 0 on offset 24
    kaffeine: PostFilter: Set parameter 'cheap_mode' to value '1'
    kaffeine: PostFilter: tvtime Apply integer value 1 on offset 28
    kaffeine: PostFilter: tvtime Apply integer value 1 on offset 28
    kaffeine: KXineWidget: Deinterlace enabled: 1
    kaffeine: PostFilter: Get output
    kaffeine: PostFilter: Get input
    kaffeine: KXineWidget: Playing: /home/martin/Filme/Jennifer Lopez - If You
    had My Love.mpg
    kaffeine: KXineWidget: Start event loop...

    I have:

    ii libxine1 1.0.1-1

    2) gstreamer engine with artssink only plays the movie. I do not hear any
    sound. The loud speaker beside the volume control is shown disabled and I
    see no way to change that.

    It tells me it uses artsdsink:

    kaffeine: GStreamerPart: Using audio driver: artsdsink
    kaffeine: GStreamerPart: Using video driver: xvimagesink
    kaffeine: GStreamerPart: Using visualization plugin: goom

    But I do not hear any sound. artsd is running nicely and playing the test
    sound in KDE control center works.

    I am using:

    ii gstreamer0.8-artsd 0.8.8-3 aRtsd plugin for
    GStreamer

    Hmmm, I tried around a bit. I do not know exactly what I changed, but now
    I get a running gstreamer alsasink concurrently to KDE control center
    playing the test sound via artsd. I am quite a bit confused by this,
    cause artsd should take complete control over the sound hardware while
    playing sounds (and also during those 20 seconds I set after playing the
    last sound). Thus gstreaminer using alsasink shouldn't be able to play a
    sound concurrently to artsd. Does gstreamer switch over to artsdsink when
    alsasink doesn't work?

    It told me is uses

    kaffeine: GStreamerPart: Using audio driver: artsdsink

    tough and did not tell me that it changed its mind. And on my first tests
    it told me the error I stated above (no default ALSA device) instead of
    playing. AudaCity can't initialize ALSA, so how on earth does gstreamer
    use alsasink if it really does?

    Actually I have no clue whats going on here and would like to hear
    feedback from others on this issue.

    3) gstreamer engine with alsasink gives 'ALSA device "default" does not
    exist'. Even even I made sure that artsd gone in "suspend mode", which I
    set to go into after 20 seconds without a sound being played through it.

    Well when I start with "killall artsd ; kaffeine" I get sound.

    Well further testing yields that this seems to be a problem with my KDE
    setup. Audacity can't initialize ALSA as well even when I wait rather
    more than those 20 seconds in which artsd should be automatically
    inactivated. This doesn't seem to work well anymore, but it used to work
    just one week before.

    I am using:

    ii arts 1.4.2-4 sound system from the
    official KDE release
    ii gstreamer0.8-artsd 0.8.8-3 aRtsd plugin for
    GStreamer
    ii libarts1-mpeglib 3.4.2-2 mpeglib plugin for
    aRts, supporting mp3 and mpeg audio/video
    ii libarts1-xine 3.4.2-2 aRts plugin enabling
    xine support
    ii libarts1c2 1.4.2-4 aRts sound system core
    components
    ii libartsc0 1.4.2-4 aRts sound system C
    support library

    ii gstreamer0.8-alsa 0.8.8-3 ALSA plugin for
    GStreamer

    4) Using KPlayer Media part does not work. I get an error that
    "libkplayerpart.la" cannot be found in my PATH. Well how true since
    KPlayer only includes these binary files:

    /.
    /usr
    /usr/bin
    /usr/bin/kplayer
    /usr/lib
    /usr/lib/kde3
    /usr/lib/kde3/libkplayerpart.so
    /usr/lib/kde3/kfile_kplayer.so

    5) The Kaffeine dialog for checking the installations comes up *every*
    time I start Kaffeine. It should only come up for the first time I think
    like it used to be before.

    I made all this findings with a clean kaffeine setup. I
    deleted .kde/share/config/kaffeinerc as well as .kde/share/apps/kaffeine
    directory with contents.

    I would like to hear feedback and I am willing to provide bug reports when
    those issues could not be cleared up easily.

    Actually all of this is not really that urgent as I can use KPlayer for
    media files and xine-ui or Totem player for menu driven DVDs. But before
    next Debian release these findings should be cleared up IMHO

    Sometimes I wished there would be exactly one *stable* media framework
    that is used from all desktop environments. Or at least ONE low level
    framework for *direct* hardware access (sound server, low level video
    display) used by all media players.

    Zack, this is not to put you down. I think you did a great job. I think
    its more the involved software itself not handling the whole lot of
    different combinations of audio driver low level layer (ALSA, OSS), sound
    server (artsd, esd, jackd), audio driver high level framework (gstreamer
    and xine audio plugins for artsd, alsa, oss, esd, jackd whatever), video
    driver low level layer (XV, SDL whatever plugins in gstreamer, xine,
    mplayer) and high level media framework (mplayer, gstreamer, xine) really
    well.

    I believe that reducing complexity here and supporting one or at maximum
    two frameworks properly instead of all at once, could help. I also
    believe that authors of the different frameworks should sit together and
    possibly merge projects that just provide the very same functionality.

    Actually a user IMHO doesn't give a bit about whether it used whatever
    framework when the player plays want he/she wants. Whether you like it or
    not, proprietary software at the moment may have some advantages here
    (just one Windows Media Player and one QuickTime). But still I wouldn't
    like to switch since I like free software and free standards ;-).

    Regards,

  2. Re: Kaffeine 0.7.1 findings

    Hi,

    I add the following items with new kaffeine.
    I hesitate to report that upstream because there are quite some patches in the
    debian package:
    * gstreamer cannot be used since it cannot find xvimagesink video driver
    (whatever that means), this is with x.org radeon driver and xine's xv works
    just fine
    * if I change from engine gstreamer to engine xine, kaffeine crashes, this
    probably on the gstreamer unloading routine
    * kaffeine cannot create the desktop icon because ~/Desktop is hardcoded but I
    move mine to a more FHS-conforming location (~/.kde/Desktop)

    Bug reports will follow, once I configure reportbug right to use kmail.

    Am Samstag, 17. September 2005 09:52 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
    > 1) xine engine doesn't work at all. Whenever I open a movie for playing,
    > Kaffeine crashes or at least exits silently. These are the last signs of
    > live:

    works here

    > 4) Using KPlayer Media part does not work. I get an error that
    > "libkplayerpart.la" cannot be found in my PATH. Well how true since
    > KPlayer only includes these binary files:

    KPlayer is NOT kaffeine

    > 5) The Kaffeine dialog for checking the installations comes up *every*
    > time I start Kaffeine. It should only come up for the first time I think
    > like it used to be before.

    I see this, too. Very annoying.

    > different combinations of audio driver low level layer (ALSA, OSS), sound

    It would probably help a LOT if you could handle OSS-like drivers with the
    alsa libs, means only using alsa framework without depending on the alsa
    drivers. The application could then forget about OSS completely.

    HS

    PS: are there other ways to report bugs than with reportbug? Preferably
    something that pipes through kmail.

  3. Re: Kaffeine 0.7.1 findings

    On Saturday 17 September 2005 10:59, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
    > PS: are there other ways to report bugs than with reportbug? Preferably
    > something that pipes through kmail.

    You can always try the kaffeine user mailing list for kaffeine specific bugs,
    but I must say I have not seen any of the issues you guys are seeing. I am
    using kaffine compiled from cvs though.

    Anders

    --
    - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.2 - KMail 1.8.2 -

  4. Re: Kaffeine 0.7.1 findings

    On Saturday 17 September 2005 09:52, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
    > Hmmm, I tried around a bit. I do not know exactly what I changed, but now
    > I get a running gstreamer alsasink concurrently to KDE control center
    > playing the test sound via artsd. I am quite a bit confused by this,
    > cause artsd should take complete control over the sound hardware while
    > playing sounds (and also during those 20 seconds I set after playing the
    > last sound). Thus gstreaminer using alsasink shouldn't be able to play a
    > sound concurrently to artsd. Does gstreamer switch over to artsdsink when
    > alsasink doesn't work?

    As far as I know, this is not entirely accurate. artsd reserves one channel
    for it's own output. On sound cards that support multiple channels, arts
    sound should work fine next to other sources until there are no more
    available output channels.

    Anders

    --
    - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.2 - KMail 1.8.2 -

  5. Re: Kaffeine 0.7.1 findings

    Le Saturday 17 September 2005 09:52, Martin Steigerwald(Martin
    Steigerwald ) disait:
    > Hello,

    Hi,

    > I installed Kaffeine 0.7.1 and found the following problems:
    >
    > 1) xine engine doesn't work at all. Whenever I open a movie for
    > playing, Kaffeine crashes or at least exits silently. These are
    > the last signs of live:

    Try to reinstall 'kaffeine-xine'?

    > 5) The Kaffeine dialog for checking the installations comes up
    > *every* time I start Kaffeine. It should only come up for the
    > first time I think like it used to be before.

    It's a bug (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=329177).
    The wizzard fails to create
    '~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/wizard_stamp_v0.7.1' after the first
    run.
    'touch ~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/wizard_stamp_v0.7.1' may solve the
    issue !

    --
    Glennie
    "La vie offre toujours deux pentes. On grimpe ou on se laisse

  6. Re: Kaffeine 0.7.1 findings

    Am Sonntag, 25. September 2005 12:39 schrieb Glennie Vignarajah:
    > > 5) The Kaffeine dialog for checking the installations comes up
    > > *every* time I start Kaffeine. It should only come up for the
    > > first time I think like it used to be before.

    > It's a bug (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=329177).
    > The wizzard fails to create
    > '~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/wizard_stamp_v0.7.1' after the first
    > run.
    > 'touch ~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/wizard_stamp_v0.7.1' may solve the
    > issue !

    Thanks a lot, maybe add that to the bug report?

    Anything for the "kaffeine-0.7 crashes when closed" bug?

    HS

  7. Re: Kaffeine 0.7.1 findings

    Le Sunday 25 September 2005 17:29, Hendrik Sattler(Hendrik Sattler
    ) disait:

    Hi,
    > maybe add that to the bug report?

    Done.

    --
    Glennie
    "La vie offre toujours deux pentes. On grimpe ou on se laisse
    glisser."

  8. Re: Kaffeine 0.7.1 findings

    El Domingo, 25 de Septiembre de 2005 17:29, Hendrik Sattler escribió:
    > Anything for the "kaffeine-0.7 crashes when closed" bug?

    I've downloaded the debian source and reverse-patched the debian diff, and it
    doesn't crash on closing anymore...

    Rafael Rodríguez

  9. Re: Kaffeine 0.7.1 findings

    Erm.. In fact i've just reapplied the patch, and again works. So i have two
    scenarios:

    1) I build the debian source with 'fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -b'. It
    crashes on closing

    2) building with the typical "./configure --enable-debug=full; make". It won't
    crash

    Rafael Rodríguez

    El Domingo, 25 de Septiembre de 2005 18:50, Rafael Rodríguez escribió:
    > El Domingo, 25 de Septiembre de 2005 17:29, Hendrik Sattler escribió:
    > > Anything for the "kaffeine-0.7 crashes when closed" bug?

    > I've downloaded the debian source and reverse-patched the debian diff, and
    > it doesn't crash on closing anymore...
    >
    > Rafael Rodríguez

+ Reply to Thread