Some KDE programs load extremely slowly after partial upgrade - Debian

This is a discussion on Some KDE programs load extremely slowly after partial upgrade - Debian ; Hi all, I'm using sarge and KDE 3.3.2 (custom 2.6.12 kernel from debian sources), but recently made substantial upgrades from etch, mainly for all the Xorg and gcc-4 stuff, but also udev, alsa-modules, and anything else that took my fancy ...

  1. Some KDE programs load extremely slowly after partial upgrade

    Hi all,

    I'm using sarge and KDE 3.3.2 (custom 2.6.12 kernel from debian sources), but
    recently made substantial upgrades from etch, mainly for all the Xorg and
    gcc-4 stuff, but also udev, alsa-modules, and anything else that took my
    fancy at the time!

    Subsequently there has been weird behaviour such as:

    - Konqueror, kwrite, kate and (and kmail when started from konqueror), among
    others, take over a minute to load, except for the first time they are loaded
    in a session.

    - Konqueror in superuser mode gradually loses the ability to call other
    programs as a session goes on.

    - If X is restarted, KDE gets stuck at the "initializing system services"
    stage and a reboot is necessary to get it up again

    There don't appear to be any runaway processes or excessive system load. Other
    programs seem to behave normally.

    Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

    Thanks,

    John O'Hagan

    p.s. Please CC me.

  2. Re: Some KDE programs load extremely slowly after partial upgrade

    Am Samstag 17 September 2005 02:04 schrieb John O'Hagan:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm using sarge and KDE 3.3.2 (custom 2.6.12 kernel from debian
    > sources), but recently made substantial upgrades from etch, mainly for
    > all the Xorg and gcc-4 stuff, but also udev, alsa-modules, and anything
    > else that took my fancy at the time!

    [...]

    > Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

    Hello John,

    might be mixed up packages versions in one sub system you updated. Did you
    made sure you got all of the X11 related packages when you updated to
    X.org? "export COLUMNS ; dpkg -l | grep XFree86-Version-Number" in a
    wide Konsole window might help you to find old XFree86 related packages.

    Is there any CPU usage when you wait for an KDE application to be started
    (check with "top")?

    Delays without CPU usage in KDE can be caused by non functional DCOP
    communication or ICE communication or non functional KLauncher / kdeinit
    stuff. Its a bit difficult to track down, and I often started with
    deleting session files related to that kind of communication.

    You could try whether logging out, doing rm ~/.DCOPserver* and logging in
    again helps. I do not think its ICE communication since that would delay
    logging into KDE as well when there is some stale session, but you could
    try "rm .ICEauthority" as well.

    Did you try with moving ".kde" to somewhere else to get a clean KDE setup?
    But you didn't update to KDE 3.4,2 anyway? Well still, this test is often
    a good idea.

    It might even make sense just a setup a new test user with "adduser" and
    try with that test user. If it works there you at least now, that there
    is something in your home directory triggering this trouble. If it
    doesn't work with that test user, you now its something global .

    I think you need to play Sherlock Holmes on that by excluding possible
    causes for the problems unless there is nothing more left than the actual
    cause.

    Regards,