SV: Problems with kaffeine (no, I don't have sid here!) - Debian

This is a discussion on SV: Problems with kaffeine (no, I don't have sid here!) - Debian ; > Fra: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org]Pa vegne af Matej Cepl > as a parallel question to the current discussions about compiling > kaffeine, > may I ask one question about already installed one. I have here KDE 3.4.1 > from alioth and ...

  1. SV: Problems with kaffeine (no, I don't have sid here!)

    > Fra: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org]Pa vegne af Matej Cepl

    > as a parallel question to the current discussions about compiling
    > kaffeine,
    > may I ask one question about already installed one. I have here KDE 3.4.1
    > from alioth and kaffeine from main repository for testing. Unfortunately,
    > there is something seriously broken with it -- I cannot play even OGG
    > stream http://www.rozhlas.cz/audio/download/ddur_maxogg.m3u

    I had this problem a while back. It was a libogg bug caused by a change in
    the ogg file format IIRC. It is fixed in the latest versions, and works fine
    in pure sid.

    Anders

  2. Re: SV: Problems with kaffeine (no, I don't have sid here!)

    Anders E. Andersen wrote:
    >> as a parallel question to the current discussions about compiling
    >> kaffeine,
    >> may I ask one question about already installed one. I have here KDE 3.4.1
    >> from alioth and kaffeine from main repository for testing. Unfortunately,
    >> there is something seriously broken with it -- I cannot play even OGG
    >> stream http://www.rozhlas.cz/audio/download/ddur_maxogg.m3u

    > I had this problem a while back. It was a libogg bug caused by a change in
    > the ogg file format IIRC. It is fixed in the latest versions, and works
    > fine in pure sid.

    Well, I really don't know, but it seems to me that the problem is not in OGG
    library -- kaffeine can happily play OGG file from the local drive (yes, of
    course, OGG stream is probably not the same thing as OGG file, but still)
    and it cannot read other streams either (MP3, RealPlayer, or WMA), all of
    which could be played by kplayer (but I would really prefer kaffeine).

    Matej

    A day without sunshine is like night.

  3. Re: SV: Problems with kaffeine (no, I don't have sid here!)

    On Wednesday 14 September 2005 17:02, Matej Cepl wrote:
    > > I had this problem a while back. It was a libogg bug caused by a change
    > > in the ogg file format IIRC. It is fixed in the latest versions, and
    > > works fine in pure sid.

    > Well, I really don't know, but it seems to me that the problem is not in
    > OGG library -- kaffeine can happily play OGG file from the local drive
    > (yes, of course, OGG stream is probably not the same thing as OGG file, but
    > still) and it cannot read other streams either (MP3, RealPlayer, or WMA),
    > all of which could be played by kplayer (but I would really prefer
    > kaffeine).

    Hmm.. It works for me.. Using up to date sid.. I was at work earlier and
    could't really say for sure if it worked but I am just testing it right now
    and it seems to work fine.

    Anders

    --
    - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.1 - KMail 1.8.1 -

  4. Re: SV: Problems with kaffeine (no, I don't have sid here!)

    Anders Ellensh?j Andersen wrote:
    > Hmm.. It works for me.. Using up to date sid.. I was at work earlier and
    > could't really say for sure if it worked but I am just testing it right
    > now and it seems to work fine.

    It is getting more and more strange -- I have compiled sid package (0.7.1)
    from incoming.debian.org, everything went smoothly, but I still cannot play
    http://www.wbur.org/listen/feed/shoutcast.pls, although apparently kaffeine
    is able to decipher, that what it really needs to play is
    http://wbur-sc.streamguys.com:80/. When I put the latter URL into kaboodle,
    then even that is able to play that stream. It really doesn't make a sense
    to me.

    Any thoughts?

    Matej

    P.S.: Cross-posting also to gmane.comp.video.kaffeine.devel and
    gmane.comp.video.xine.user groups. The beginning of this thread is
    available at gmane.linux.debian.user.kde (see for example
    ).

    His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork.
    -- Mae West

  5. Re: SV: Problems with kaffeine (no, I don't have sid here!)

    On Friday 16 September 2005 03:11, Matej Cepl wrote:
    > It is getting more and more strange -- I have compiled sid package (0.7.1)
    > from incoming.debian.org, everything went smoothly, but I still cannot play
    > http://www.wbur.org/listen/feed/shoutcast.pls, although apparently kaffeine
    > is able to decipher, that what it really needs to play is
    > http://wbur-sc.streamguys.com:80/. When I put the latter URL into kaboodle,
    > then even that is able to play that stream. It really doesn't make a sense
    > to me.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Have you tried plain xine-ui to see if it works there?

    Anders

    --
    - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.1 - KMail 1.8.1 -

  6. Re: SV: Problems with kaffeine (no, I don't have sid here!)

    Matej Cepl wrote:
    > It is getting more and more strange -- I have compiled sid package (0.7.1)
    > from incoming.debian.org, everything went smoothly, but I still cannot
    > play http://www.wbur.org/listen/feed/shoutcast.pls, although apparently
    > kaffeine is able to decipher, that what it really needs to play is
    > http://wbur-sc.streamguys.com:80/. When I put the latter URL into
    > kaboodle, then even that is able to play that stream. It really doesn't
    > make a sense to me.

    OK, I think I've got it: mplayer maintainers decided that some codecs are
    not that essential and removed from essential-20050412.tar.bz2 package many
    older codecs, which are unfortunately exactly those which kaffeine wants to
    use (e.g., cook.so.6.0 -- mplayer probably survives with cook.so, but
    that's apparently not good enough for libxine 1.0.1). When I installed
    http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/rel...050412.tar.bz2
    package, things improved immensly both WBUR (shown above) and BBC now
    works. BTW, the same question was answered on
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/355189 .

    Best,

    Matej

    God is not worried about my financial situation.