"dropouts" when playing multimedia - Debian

This is a discussion on "dropouts" when playing multimedia - Debian ; Hello, I am using KDE 3.3.2 on Debian Sid. Recently the following problem has cropped up. Whenever playing back multimedia (audio and/or video) there are brief pauses. This happens with XMMS, and also Xine. There is no problem if I ...

  1. "dropouts" when playing multimedia

    Hello,

    I am using KDE 3.3.2 on Debian Sid. Recently the following problem has cropped
    up. Whenever playing back multimedia (audio and/or video) there are brief
    pauses. This happens with XMMS, and also Xine.

    There is no problem if I use the Gnome desktop. I guess I will be switching to
    Gnome for now because I cannot figure out what is causing this. If anyone has
    a better suggestion or knows anything about the problem, please get back.

    Thanks in advance,
    James

  2. Re: "dropouts" when playing multimedia

    What audio card do you have? Do you use OSS or ALSA? Do you use esd
    sound server in gnome (probably yes, it's enabled by default)?
    Have you changed something in your configuration recently?
    Bye

    James Hirschorn ha scritto:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am using KDE 3.3.2 on Debian Sid. Recently the following problem has cropped
    >up. Whenever playing back multimedia (audio and/or video) there are brief
    >pauses. This happens with XMMS, and also Xine.
    >
    >There is no problem if I use the Gnome desktop. I guess I will be switching to
    >Gnome for now because I cannot figure out what is causing this. If anyone has
    >a better suggestion or knows anything about the problem, please get back.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >James

  3. Re: "dropouts" when playing multimedia

    Am Samstag, 10. September 2005 03:00 schrieb James Hirschorn:
    > I am using KDE 3.3.2 on Debian Sid. Recently the following problem has
    > cropped up. Whenever playing back multimedia (audio and/or video) there are
    > brief pauses. This happens with XMMS, and also Xine.
    >
    > There is no problem if I use the Gnome desktop. I guess I will be switching
    > to Gnome for now because I cannot figure out what is causing this. If
    > anyone has a better suggestion or knows anything about the problem, please
    > get back.

    KDE starts a process that only a preemptible kernel could handle with proper
    latency for your audio player? Did you try to take a look at 'top'?

    HS

  4. Re: "dropouts" when playing multimedia

    I use ALSA, and I use the oss plugin for xmms. The sound server is not
    relevant, because the same thing happens when the server is off. I don't
    think my hardware is relevant either, because I have had the system for over
    a year, and this started less than a week ago. The only thing that might have
    changed on my system recently are upgrades from using apt-get.

    Looking at "top", the only thing I notice is that under KDE the 'kded' program
    is high up in both memory and CPU usage. Under Gnome there is a kded process
    but it does not appear on the top list. I have no idea what kded is. Could
    this possibly be the culprit?

    Cheers,
    James

    On Saturday 10 September 2005 10:00, James Hirschorn wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using KDE 3.3.2 on Debian Sid. Recently the following problem has
    > cropped up. Whenever playing back multimedia (audio and/or video) there are
    > brief pauses. This happens with XMMS, and also Xine.
    >
    > There is no problem if I use the Gnome desktop. I guess I will be switching
    > to Gnome for now because I cannot figure out what is causing this. If
    > anyone has a better suggestion or knows anything about the problem, please
    > get back.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > James

  5. Re: "dropouts" when playing multimedia

    Am Samstag, 10. September 2005 13:32 schrieb James Hirschorn:
    > I use ALSA, and I use the oss plugin for xmms. The sound server is not
    > relevant, because the same thing happens when the server is off. I don't
    > think my hardware is relevant either, because I have had the system for
    > over a year, and this started less than a week ago. The only thing that
    > might have changed on my system recently are upgrades from using apt-get.
    >
    > Looking at "top", the only thing I notice is that under KDE the 'kded'
    > program is high up in both memory and CPU usage. Under Gnome there is a
    > kded process but it does not appear on the top list. I have no idea what
    > kded is. Could this possibly be the culprit?

    Yes, this could be the problem. Something makes it go mad and your kernel
    cannot handle that well enough to give you a constant audio stream. With
    low-latency it probably could but finding out why kded uses so much CPU would
    solve the problem, too.

    HS