does superkaramba suck? - Debian

This is a discussion on does superkaramba suck? - Debian ; Is it just me, or does superkaramba suck? All of the superkaramba propaganda talks about how great it is, so I decided to try it. I install the Debian package, and run the program. The little bomb appears. So far, ...

  1. does superkaramba suck?

    Is it just me, or does superkaramba suck?

    All of the superkaramba propaganda talks about how great it is, so I decided
    to try it. I install the Debian package, and run the program. The little
    bomb appears. So far, so good.

    Problem #1: Every time I complete an action-- e.g. trying to open a theme,
    then cancelling when I don't find any themes stored locally; or closing the
    welcome screen-- superkaramba exits. I have to restart it.

    Problem #2: superkaramba comes packaged with exactly zero themes. When I
    go to download one, I get a .skz file, which superkaramba doesn't
    recognize. So okay, I figure out pretty easily that it's just a stupidly
    named zip archive. I _manually_ create a directory and unpack the contents
    there. Now superkaramba recognizes the .theme file. superkaramba can't do
    this work on its own?

    Problem #3: I decide to try liquid weather. It sounds cool, and is the
    _very first_ theme listed on the download page. I coax superkaramba to use
    it as I described above. But when I do, I get

    Call to initWidget failed
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "liquid_weather.py", line 2432, in initWidget
    initTranslation(widget)
    File "liquid_weather.py", line 420, in initTranslation
    lang = karamba.language(widget)
    AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'language'

    So, here's the score so far:

    Time spent so far with superkaramba: 20 minutes.
    Amount of eye candy appearing on my desktop: zero.

    If I persist will I be rewarded, or will I just be throwing good time after
    bad? And, does superkaramba suck?

    A.

  2. Re: does superkaramba suck?

    On Friday, 9 September 2005 12:19, Andrew Schulman wrote:
    > If I persist will I be rewarded, or will I just be throwing good time after
    > bad? And, does superkaramba suck?

    1. Yes, the fact that superkaramba doesn't bundle any theme sucks.
    2. IIRC the .skz format is supported by the new version of superkaramba, still
    not released.
    3. You should check the required version for the themes you're trying, Liquid
    Weather has versions for both the current version of superkaramba in Debian
    and the "unreleased" version. Both work correctly when used with the
    appropiate superkaramba version.
    4. I like Liquid Weather a lot

    Best regards

    --