Upgrade 3.3.2->3.4.2 - Debian

This is a discussion on Upgrade 3.3.2->3.4.2 - Debian ; Hi, I upgrade in Etch some packages by getting them from Sid. This upgrade (together with change to x.org) went pretty smooth but I want to note some drawbacks: - no new kaffeine, yet, so my media player is gone ...

  1. Upgrade 3.3.2->3.4.2

    Hi,

    I upgrade in Etch some packages by getting them from Sid.
    This upgrade (together with change to x.org) went pretty smooth but I want to
    note some drawbacks:
    - no new kaffeine, yet, so my media player is gone
    - ALL toolbars get reset! This _really_ sucks because there is absolutely no
    reason for this!
    - if you use skype, you have to switch to the statically linked version, else
    it silently fails
    - there is still no normal way to disable the spell-checking thing :-(

    Others (small) problems are (probably bugs):
    - kicker: minimal height for normal icons changed from 36 to 38 for no reason
    - kmail: you cannot delete keyboard shortcuts, once assigned (e.g. for own
    filters)
    - kmail: it says that it now supports kwallet but the passwords are not all
    moved into the wallet (yes, I like kwallet

    Still, I enjoy the new version because there are lots of fixed bugs (kopete,
    knode, etc.).

    Is there a way to get the device URL working without installing udev? Or can
    udev be configured to use a static /dev tree?

    HS

  2. Re: Upgrade 3.3.2->3.4.2

    Am Donnerstag 08 September 2005 20:55 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:
    > Hi,

    > - kmail: it says that it now supports kwallet but the passwords are not
    > all moved into the wallet (yes, I like kwallet

    Hello Hendrik,

    this worked here since KDE 3.4.0 from an inofficial source and also with
    KDE 3.4.1 from alioth and now works with KDE 3.4 from sid. Well at least
    passwords are saved in KWallet, I never checked whether they actually got
    moved (deleted out of kmailrc or where they have been stored before).

    > Is there a way to get the device URL working without installing udev?
    > Or can udev be configured to use a static /dev tree?

    Try media:/, devices:/ is not supported any more.

    I am not absolutely sure whether it needs udev. I always thought it would.

    It uses pmount which needs at least libhal0 and dbus. pmount has no direct
    and as far as I checked also no indirect dependency to udev tough.

    Regards,

  3. Re: Upgrade 3.3.2->3.4.2

    Am Donnerstag, 8. September 2005 22:16 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
    > Am Donnerstag 08 September 2005 20:55 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > - kmail: it says that it now supports kwallet but the passwords are not
    > > all moved into the wallet (yes, I like kwallet

    > this worked here since KDE 3.4.0 from an inofficial source and also with
    > KDE 3.4.1 from alioth and now works with KDE 3.4 from sid. Well at least
    > passwords are saved in KWallet, I never checked whether they actually got
    > moved (deleted out of kmailrc or where they have been stored before).

    Strange, finally they are in the wallet but not right from the start. Strange.

    > > Is there a way to get the device URL working without installing udev?
    > > Or can udev be configured to use a static /dev tree?

    > Try media:/, devices:/ is not supported any more.

    Ok, that was due to the sidebar in the file browser view which still had the
    devices tab. This one gets not reset to system defaults (you have to do this
    manually) but the toolbars are killed by the update.

    > I am not absolutely sure whether it needs udev. I always thought it would.
    >
    > It uses pmount which needs at least libhal0 and dbus. pmount has no direct
    > and as far as I checked also no indirect dependency to udev tough.

    pmount does not require the hal package. Currently, media:/ only shows devices
    from /etc/fstab, not even all mounted devices (my usb stick is mounted using
    pmount directly).

    HS

  4. Re: Upgrade 3.3.2->3.4.2

    Am Donnerstag 08 September 2005 22:40 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:

    > > this worked here since KDE 3.4.0 from an inofficial source and also
    > > with KDE 3.4.1 from alioth and now works with KDE 3.4 from sid. Well
    > > at least passwords are saved in KWallet, I never checked whether they
    > > actually got moved (deleted out of kmailrc or where they have been
    > > stored before).

    > Strange, finally they are in the wallet but not right from the start.
    > Strange.

    Hello Hendrik,

    Maybe KMail makes the change when you exit it.

    > > Try media:/, devices:/ is not supported any more.

    > Ok, that was due to the sidebar in the file browser view which still
    > had the devices tab. This one gets not reset to system defaults (you
    > have to do this manually) but the toolbars are killed by the update.

    Exactly. I stumpled upon this, too

    > > It uses pmount which needs at least libhal0 and dbus. pmount has no
    > > direct and as far as I checked also no indirect dependency to udev
    > > tough.

    > pmount does not require the hal package. Currently, media:/ only shows
    > devices from /etc/fstab, not even all mounted devices (my usb stick is
    > mounted using pmount directly).

    Yes, not the hal package itself, but at least libhal0 ;-)

    Well might be that you have to install the whole shebang before KDE
    recognizes when an USB stick is inserted. I have hal, dbus, udev and here
    it works for USB drives with or without partitions on it. Before that I
    also used pmount.

    I have still some USB drives configured manually in /etc/fstab to have
    them mounted without "sync" option which gives faster, cached writing.
    Hmmm, but I might be wrong about that since the manual page of pmount
    says:

    " -s, --sync

    Mount the device with the sync option, i. e. without write caching.
    Default is async (write-back). With this ption, write operations are
    much slower and due to the massive increase of updates of inode/FAT
    structures, flash devices may suffer heavily if you write large
    files. This option is intended to make it safe to just rip out USB drives
    without proper unmounting."

    So it seems async is standard for pmount. I thought this has been sync
    some time before.

    Regards,

  5. Re: Upgrade 3.3.2->3.4.2

    Am Donnerstag 08 September 2005 22:40 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:

    > > It uses pmount which needs at least libhal0 and dbus. pmount has no
    > > direct and as far as I checked also no indirect dependency to udev
    > > tough.

    > pmount does not require the hal package. Currently, media:/ only shows
    > devices from /etc/fstab, not even all mounted devices (my usb stick is
    > mounted using pmount directly).

    Hello Henrik,

    do you have hotplug installed? Without hotplug necessary kernel modules to
    support an external USB drive might not be loaded.

    New hardware should be recognized from the kernel anyway and be reported
    via sysfs.

    But there needs to be someone who plugs into the hotplug hook for new
    hardware and I highly doubt that this will be KDE media:// itself.

    Its a modular design and right now on my machine its udevsend who plugs
    into the kernel hotplug hook:

    martin@deepdance:/ -> cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
    /sbin/udevsend

    I am pretty sure something must plugin in there or newly added hardware
    won't be dealt with automatically.

    Anyway I would install udev. Yes, there are issues with it, that it won't
    setup some device files automatically. Like for isdn4linux (I can send
    you an init script that does it). And might be issues when doing a backup
    via rsync. But apart from that it works quite nicely.

    Regards,