Removable media icon(s) on desktop? - Debian

This is a discussion on Removable media icon(s) on desktop? - Debian ; Hi All. I transitioned to KDE 3.4.2 yesterday evening (I just couldn't wait anymore) on my Sid partition--so far very good! Based on my limited experience with KNOPPIX 3.9, I know that KDE can dynamically add an icon to the ...

  1. Removable media icon(s) on desktop?

    Hi All.

    I transitioned to KDE 3.4.2 yesterday evening (I just couldn't wait
    anymore) on my Sid partition--so far very good! Based on my limited
    experience with KNOPPIX 3.9, I know that KDE can dynamically add an
    icon to the desktop when a memory stick or other USB mass-storage
    device is inserted.

    I installed the dbus, hal, and pmount packages and Konquerer
    dynamically displays icons for my memory stick and camera upon
    insertion and removal. Now, I would like these icons to pop up on the
    desktop instead of just in Konquerer. I know KNOPPIX does some
    interesting stuff with UNIONFS and I'm not sure if that is involved
    here.

    Also, it seems as though Konquerer uses an internal mount point as I
    was unable to find a traditional mount point with the mount command.
    How then might I be able to access the device such as through Midnight
    Commander?

    Thnaks!

    - Nate >>

    --
    Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
    Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.

  2. Re: Removable media icon(s) on desktop?

    On Wednesday 07 September 2005 19:40, Sven Krahn wrote:
    > Hi Nate -
    >
    > > I installed the dbus, hal, and pmount packages and Konquerer
    > > dynamically displays icons for my memory stick and camera upon
    > > insertion and removal. Now, I would like these icons to pop up on the
    > > desktop instead of just in Konquerer. I know KNOPPIX does some
    > > interesting stuff with UNIONFS and I'm not sure if that is involved
    > > here.

    > just recently I figured that out for myself and documented it for my files.
    > Have a look here:
    > http://www.svenkrahn.de/linux/my_deb...03.html#d0e659
    >
    > Based on hal, udev, and hotplugging I use the usb-storage script of hotplug
    > to copy the icons on my Desktop (on plugin of camera, stick etc.) and
    > remove the icon upon unplug. This even allows me to display different
    > icons, e.g. camera, USB stick, external drive.

    Weird. I didn't have to do any of this - i just have the packages installed
    (hal/udev/dbus/...) and KDE automagically pops up an icon if i plug in my
    stick, and removes it when i remove it.

    Jan

    --
    Q: How many IBM 370's does it take to execute a job?
    A: Four, three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.

  3. Re: Removable media icon(s) on desktop?

    Am Mittwoch, 7. September 2005 19:16 schrieb Nate Bargmann:
    > I transitioned to KDE 3.4.2 yesterday evening (I just couldn't wait
    > anymore) on my Sid partition--so far very good! Based on my limited
    > experience with KNOPPIX 3.9, I know that KDE can dynamically add an
    > icon to the desktop when a memory stick or other USB mass-storage
    > device is inserted.
    >
    > I installed the dbus, hal, and pmount packages and Konquerer
    > dynamically displays icons for my memory stick and camera upon
    > insertion and removal. Now, I would like these icons to pop up on the
    > desktop instead of just in Konquerer. I know KNOPPIX does some
    > interesting stuff with UNIONFS and I'm not sure if that is involved
    > here.
    >
    > Also, it seems as though Konquerer uses an internal mount point as I
    > was unable to find a traditional mount point with the mount command.
    > How then might I be able to access the device such as through Midnight
    > Commander?

    As you said: you installed pmount. So read its manpage.

    HS

  4. Re: Removable media icon(s) on desktop?

    * Sven Krahn [2005 Sep 07 12:42 -0500]:
    > Hi Nate -
    >
    > I installed the dbus, hal, and pmount packages and Konquerer
    > dynamically displays icons for my memory stick and camera upon
    > insertion and removal. Now, I would like these icons to pop up on the
    > desktop instead of just in Konquerer. I know KNOPPIX does some
    > interesting stuff with UNIONFS and I'm not sure if that is involved
    > here.
    >
    > just recently I figured that out for myself and documented it for my
    > files. Have a look here:
    > http://www.svenkrahn.de/linux/my_deb...03.html#d0e659

    Thank you, Sven.

    Very nicely done. I will definitely give your pages some serious
    study.

    - Nate >>

    --
    Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
    Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
    http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/ | "Debian, the choice of
    My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @ | a GNU generation!"
    http://www.networksplus.net/n0nb/ | http://www.debian.org

  5. Re: Removable media icon(s) on desktop?

    * Jan De Luyck [2005 Sep 07 13:03 -0500]:
    > On Wednesday 07 September 2005 19:40, Sven Krahn wrote:
    > > Hi Nate -
    > >
    > > > I installed the dbus, hal, and pmount packages and Konquerer
    > > > dynamically displays icons for my memory stick and camera upon
    > > > insertion and removal. Now, I would like these icons to pop up on the
    > > > desktop instead of just in Konquerer. I know KNOPPIX does some
    > > > interesting stuff with UNIONFS and I'm not sure if that is involved
    > > > here.

    > > just recently I figured that out for myself and documented it for my files.
    > > Have a look here:
    > > http://www.svenkrahn.de/linux/my_deb...03.html#d0e659
    > >
    > > Based on hal, udev, and hotplugging I use the usb-storage script of hotplug
    > > to copy the icons on my Desktop (on plugin of camera, stick etc.) and
    > > remove the icon upon unplug. This even allows me to display different
    > > icons, e.g. camera, USB stick, external drive.

    > Weird. I didn't have to do any of this - i just have the packages installed
    > (hal/udev/dbus/...) and KDE automagically pops up an icon if i plug in my
    > stick, and removes it when i remove it.

    Jan, did you have an earlier version of KDE installed? Or did you just
    install it from the 3.4.2 packages within the past day or so? I wonder
    if there is some configuration issue here.

    - Nate >>

    --
    Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
    Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
    http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/ | "Debian, the choice of
    My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @ | a GNU generation!"
    http://www.networksplus.net/n0nb/ | http://www.debian.org

  6. Re: Removable media icon(s) on desktop?

    On Wednesday 07 September 2005 20:37, Nate Bargmann wrote:

    > > Weird. I didn't have to do any of this - i just have the packages
    > > installed (hal/udev/dbus/...) and KDE automagically pops up an icon if i
    > > plug in my stick, and removes it when i remove it.

    > Jan, did you have an earlier version of KDE installed? Or did you just
    > install it from the 3.4.2 packages within the past day or so? I wonder
    > if there is some configuration issue here.

    I've been a steady upgrader, now coming from the alioth 3.4.1 packages. The
    only things i can see is that I have enabled "Show device icons" and checked
    all the devices listed in the list below. They show up when I plug them in.

    Jan

    --
    Journalism is literature in a hurry.
    -- Matthew Arnold

  7. Re: Removable media icon(s) on desktop?

    * Jan De Luyck [2005 Sep 07 13:48 -0500]:
    > On Wednesday 07 September 2005 20:37, Nate Bargmann wrote:
    >
    > > > Weird. I didn't have to do any of this - i just have the packages
    > > > installed (hal/udev/dbus/...) and KDE automagically pops up an icon if i
    > > > plug in my stick, and removes it when i remove it.

    > > Jan, did you have an earlier version of KDE installed? Or did you just
    > > install it from the 3.4.2 packages within the past day or so? I wonder
    > > if there is some configuration issue here.

    > I've been a steady upgrader, now coming from the alioth 3.4.1 packages. The
    > only things i can see is that I have enabled "Show device icons" and checked
    > all the devices listed in the list below. They show up when I plug them in.

    Yeah, whaddayaknow! I got back to my laptop and found that option as
    well. Everything works perfectly. D'oh!!

    Thanks for all the info everyone.

    - Nate >>