X and 'unstable' (04 Sep 2005) - Debian

This is a discussion on X and 'unstable' (04 Sep 2005) - Debian ; Over the weekend I attempted to do an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' on 'unstable'. I had some problems with koffice (which I can live with for a while) but far worse is the fact that although there is kdm process running I ...

  1. X and 'unstable' (04 Sep 2005)

    Over the weekend I attempted to do an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' on
    'unstable'. I had some problems with koffice (which I can live with for a
    while) but far worse is the fact that although there is kdm process
    running I can't start up X. The messages below came fomr the
    syslog.

    I'd be really grateful if somebody could help me bail out of this one.

    I'm told rolling back from unstable to stable isn't an option. Greed,
    greed, greed.

    Clearly I shouldn't be using 'unstable'

    Sep 5 16:06:26 foiche kdm[855]: X server "/usr/X11R6/bin/X" cannot be executed
    Sep 5 16:06:26 foiche kdm[842]: X server for display :0 can't be started, session disabled

    Thanks a lot,
    Patrick Healy
    --
    http://www.gd2005.org/ http://support.csis.ul.ie/~healyp/

  2. Re: X and 'unstable' (04 Sep 2005)

    On Tuesday 06 September 2005 09:15 am, Patrick Healy wrote:
    > Over the weekend I attempted to do an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' on
    > 'unstable'. *I had some problems with koffice (which I can live with for a
    > while) but far worse is the fact that although there is kdm process
    > running I can't start up X. *The messages below came fomr the
    > syslog.

    > Sep 5 16:06:26 foiche kdm[855]: X server "/usr/X11R6/bin/X" cannot be
    > executed

    IT sounds to me like there is no xserver installed. Maybe xserver-xfree86 got
    removed during the dist-upgrade, and xserver-xorg did not get installed?

    I would try

    apt-get install xserver-xorg

    (probably with the -s switch to apt-get first to make sure you like what it's
    going to do).

    Josh

  3. Re: X and 'unstable' (04 Sep 2005)

    Op Tuesday 06 September 2005 15:15, schreef Patrick Healy:
    > Over the weekend I attempted to do an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' on
    > 'unstable'. I had some problems with koffice (which I can live with for a
    > while) but far worse is the fact that although there is kdm process
    > running I can't start up X. The messages below came fomr the
    > syslog.
    >
    > I'd be really grateful if somebody could help me bail out of this one.
    >
    > I'm told rolling back from unstable to stable isn't an option. Greed,
    > greed, greed.
    >
    > Clearly I shouldn't be using 'unstable'
    >
    > Sep 5 16:06:26 foiche kdm[855]: X server "/usr/X11R6/bin/X" cannot be
    > executed Sep 5 16:06:26 foiche kdm[842]: X server for display :0 can't be
    > started, session disabled

    Try logging in on text-console, and run /usr/X11R6/bin/X, and show us the
    output this generates, 'cannot be executed' is not a really comprehensive
    explanation (not your fault, though)

    I'm running unstable myself, and, since today I'm running the debian-packaged
    kde, and everything seems to work again.

    Regards,

    Peter Palm