disappearing koffice - Debian

This is a discussion on disappearing koffice - Debian ; Hello. I wanted to upgrade my kde from the 3.3 that I had been using to 3.4. I did a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' thinking that this would do the job completely. It did for the most part except now all of ...

  1. disappearing koffice

    Hello.

    I wanted to upgrade my kde from the 3.3 that I had been using to 3.4. I
    did a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' thinking that this would do the job
    completely. It did for the most part except now all of the koffice
    applications are gone. Could anybody explain what I need to do to get
    them back. Nothing I've tried in 'aptitude' makes any difference. I
    get messages such as the following if I try to install kspread on its
    own:

    kspread: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.3.2-4.0.2) but it is not
    installable
    Depends: koffice-libs (>= 1:1.3.5-0) but it is not going to
    be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.3.4) but it is not installable
    E: Broken packages

    I'm running 2.4.25-1-386 kernel and my /etc/apt/sources.list looks like
    ------------- start --------------
    deb http://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib
    deb-src http://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib

    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
    ------------- end --------------

    Thanks,
    Patrick Healy
    --
    http://www.gd2005.org/ http://support.csis.ul.ie/~healyp/

  2. Re: disappearing koffice

    On Sunday 04 September 2005 03:55 pm, Patrick Healy wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I wanted to upgrade my kde from the 3.3 that I had been using to 3.4. I
    > did a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' thinking that this would do the job
    > completely. It did for the most part except now all of the koffice
    > applications are gone. Could anybody explain what I need to do to get
    > them back. Nothing I've tried in 'aptitude' makes any difference. I
    > get messages such as the following if I try to install kspread on its
    > own:

    > kspread: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.3.2-4.0.2) but it is not
    > installable
    > Depends: koffice-libs (>= 1:1.3.5-0) but it is not going to
    > be installed
    > Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.3.4) but it is not installable
    > E: Broken packages
    >
    > I'm running 2.4.25-1-386 kernel and my /etc/apt/sources.list looks like
    > ------------- start --------------
    > deb http://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib
    > deb-src http://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib
    >
    > deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
    > ------------- end --------------
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Patrick Healy
    > --

    Patrick,

    koffice needs to be recompiled with the new kdelibs of 3.4.2 in unstable. It
    may happen quickly or it may take some time.

    Adeodata Simo posted an overview of the transition from 3.3 to 3.4 on 8/9/05.
    You may want to look in the mailing list archives about the warning he gave
    on doing a dist-upgrade and its effects on any packages that haven't been
    recompiled with the new kdelibs4c2.

    John

  3. Re: disappearing koffice

    On Sunday 04 September 2005 05:55 pm, Patrick Healy wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I wanted to upgrade my kde from the 3.3 that I had been using to 3.4. I
    > did a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' thinking that this would do the job
    > completely. It did for the most part except now all of the koffice
    > applications are gone. Could anybody explain what I need to do to get
    > them back. Nothing I've tried in 'aptitude' makes any difference. I
    > get messages such as the following if I try to install kspread on its
    > own:

    How badly do you need koffice in the next week? It has not yet been rebuilt
    against kde 3.4.2, but I expect that to happen sometime during this coming
    week. So, as far as I can tell, these are your options:

    If you need koffice now:
    1) Build it yourself:
    apt-get source koffice
    apt-get build-dep koffice
    cd koffice-VERSION
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
    *Note: I'm not certain this will work, as some build-deps may need to be
    changed.
    2) Downgrade kde to the version in testing. This *might* be possible by
    setting /etc/apt/preferences to pin testing at 1001, and the apt-get
    install kde. But, I'm not sure.

    If you can wait a few days to a week, I would recommend you just wait
    instead.

    Josh

  4. Re: disappearing koffice

    On September 4, 2005 09:52 pm, Josh Metzler wrote:
    > How badly do you need koffice in the next week? *It has not yet been
    > rebuilt against kde 3.4.2, but I expect that to happen sometime during this
    > coming week. *So, as far as I can tell, these are your options:

    KOffice 1.3.5 won't rebuild against KDE 3.4.2. I just tried it using the
    unstable version with a clean sid pbuilder chroot and it errored out. I am
    building custom-made packages based on KOffice 1.4.1 and so far, it's going
    good. It's further along in the compile stage than before, so hopefully
    everything works

+ Reply to Thread