kdm resets on login - Debian

This is a discussion on kdm resets on login - Debian ; Salutations, After making the jump and upgrading to KDE 3.4.2, I cannot login through KDM anymore. The kdm login screen disappears, then I wait a few seconds for the kde splash to appear, then X resets, and back to the ...

  1. kdm resets on login

    Salutations,

    After making the jump and upgrading to KDE 3.4.2, I cannot login
    through KDM anymore.
    The kdm login screen disappears, then I wait a few seconds for the kde
    splash to appear, then X resets, and back to the login screen. This
    happens whichever session I choose (of KDE, Larswm, or failsafe).

    Starting a session through startx from a console works, however, and
    brings me to KDE (btw: oooh shiny! ahem).

    Of course, I tweaked the config file, and purged and reinstalled KDM,
    all to no avail.

    I've rummaged through some logs I could think of, without very
    interesting results:

    'tail -n 200 /var/log/syslog |grep kdm' gives me uninteresting information:
    Sep 1 16:13:11 localhost kdm_greet[4432]: Can't open default user face
    Sep 1 22:32:17 localhost kdm_greet[6547]: Can't open default user face
    Sep 1 22:32:34 localhost kdm_greet[6614]: Can't open default user face
    and auth.log gives:
    Sep 1 22:32:25 localhost kdm: :0[6534]: (pam_unix) session opened for
    user john by (uid=0)
    Sep 1 22:32:31 localhost kdm: :0[6534]: (pam_unix) session closed for userjohn

    in kdm.log, I have this:
    (...)
    QImage::convertDepth: Image is a null image
    QImage::smoothScale: Image is a null image
    Could not init font path element tcp/localhost:7110, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo, removing from list!
    QImage::convertDepth: Image is a null image
    QImage::smoothScale: Image is a null image
    AUDIT: Thu Sep 1 22:35:48 2005: 6533 X: client 4 rejected from local host
    Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1

    I don't worry about the QImage stuff, though the last two lines do intrigueme.

    Xorg.0.log[.old] have nothing unusual that I notice...

    Does anybody have any pointers on how to fix this, or, failing that,
    where to search for some more useful information in debugging why
    launching my session with KDM fails?

    John

  2. Re: kdm resets on login

    On Friday 02 September 2005 00:05, Jean de Largentaye wrote:
    > Salutations,
    >
    > After making the jump and upgrading to KDE 3.4.2, I cannot login
    > through KDM anymore.
    > The kdm login screen disappears, then I wait a few seconds for the kde
    > splash to appear, then X resets, and back to the login screen. This
    > happens whichever session I choose (of KDE, Larswm, or failsafe).

    My wife couldn't start 3.4.2 on Kubuntu through KDM due to some bug that
    affects X startup when the user's shell is tcsh (not sh or bash). Debian had
    some bug report about it, the bug is almost a year old, but I can't find it
    right now. Logging in worked when she changed her shell to bash.

    --
    Jan Ekholm
    jan.ekholm@plenware.com

  3. Re: kdm resets on login

    On 9/2/05, Jan Ekholm wrote:
    > On Friday 02 September 2005 00:05, Jean de Largentaye wrote:
    > > Salutations,
    > >
    > > After making the jump and upgrading to KDE 3.4.2, I cannot login
    > > through KDM anymore.
    > > The kdm login screen disappears, then I wait a few seconds for the kde
    > > splash to appear, then X resets, and back to the login screen. This
    > > happens whichever session I choose (of KDE, Larswm, or failsafe).

    > My wife couldn't start 3.4.2 on Kubuntu through KDM due to some bug that
    > affects X startup when the user's shell is tcsh (not sh or bash). Debian had
    > some bug report about it, the bug is almost a year old, but I can't find it
    > right now. Logging in worked when she changed her shell to bash.

    Well, I'm using bash, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

    Previously, in the kdm.log, it had an error about the :0 display being
    alread occupied (can't remember the exact wording). This has
    disappeared however, in favor of the message i reported in my previous
    mail.

    John

  4. Re: kdm resets on login

    Jean de Largentaye wrote:

    > After making the jump and upgrading to KDE 3.4.2, I cannot login
    > through KDM anymore.
    > The kdm login screen disappears, then I wait a few seconds for the
    > kde splash to appear, then X resets, and back to the login screen.
    > This happens whichever session I choose (of KDE, Larswm, or
    > failsafe).
    >
    > Starting a session through startx from a console works, however, and
    > brings me to KDE (btw: oooh shiny! ahem).

    I had the same problem, and traced it to the following in
    my .bash_profile (which is now sourced by /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession):

    if [ -z "$SSH_AGENT_PID" ]; then
    exec ssh-agent bash --login
    fi

    This was turning my X session into a vanilla bash login shell which was
    exiting immediately (I'm guessing because there was no stdin or
    something, but this is where my knowledge fails me).

    So check your shell's login scripts.

    I guess technically this was my fault since I was assuming login shells
    are also always interactive shells, and now I see the bash man page
    says otherwise (and kdm/Xsession is taking advantage of this fact).
    Though I wonder how many other people are going to get bit by the same
    assumption.

    Perhaps a NEWS.Debian is needed? Or am I the only one doesn't know how
    to use his .bash_profile? :-)

    Brian

  5. Re: kdm resets on login

    On 9/6/05, Brian Kimball wrote:
    > Jean de Largentaye wrote:
    >
    > > After making the jump and upgrading to KDE 3.4.2, I cannot login
    > > through KDM anymore.
    > > The kdm login screen disappears, then I wait a few seconds for the
    > > kde splash to appear, then X resets, and back to the login screen.
    > > This happens whichever session I choose (of KDE, Larswm, or
    > > failsafe).
    > >
    > > Starting a session through startx from a console works, however, and
    > > brings me to KDE (btw: oooh shiny! ahem).

    > I had the same problem, and traced it to the following in
    > my .bash_profile (which is now sourced by /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession):
    >
    > if [ -z "$SSH_AGENT_PID" ]; then
    > exec ssh-agent bash --login
    > fi
    >
    > This was turning my X session into a vanilla bash login shell which was
    > exiting immediately (I'm guessing because there was no stdin or
    > something, but this is where my knowledge fails me).
    >
    > So check your shell's login scripts.

    Yup, that was it! I just commented out all my bastard login scripts
    and it works now!
    I din't have anything as evident as an 'exec' however. maybe the 'eval
    dircolors'? Anyhow, the problem is identified. Thanks a lot!

    > Perhaps a NEWS.Debian is needed? Or am I the only one doesn't know how
    > to use his .bash_profile? :-)

    I agree Without your pointer, I never would have found the problem
    for my user. (And you're not the only one...-_- )

    John

+ Reply to Thread