device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy) - Debian

This is a discussion on device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy) - Debian ; I have a longstanding multiuser problem with aRts. It happens to me often that when another user on my host has been using an application that makes sound, my sound won't work. If I try to start an application (such ...

  1. device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)

    I have a longstanding multiuser problem with aRts. It happens to me often
    that when another user on my host has been using an application that makes
    sound, my sound won't work. If I try to start an application (such as a
    movie player) that makes sound, sometimes it will block or hang, and
    sometimes it will start but not play movies, or will play movies but
    without sound. So I go to the Control Center to restart the sound server,
    and when I try, an error dialog pops up with the following message:

    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

    In the old days I used to be able to find out which application had grabbed
    control of the sound device by running 'lsof /dev/dsp'. That doesn't work
    now with aRts, but I don't know what the corresponding device file or
    command is.

    I know that my other users are the source of the problem, because if I slay
    them all then eventually I get my sound server back. Sometimes I can get
    it back by just killing other sound-using applications, but sometimes I
    can't and have to slay the users.

    All users have "Auto-suspend if idle" turned on and set to 3 seconds.

    I'm using ALSA with kernel 2.6.10, a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card
    (cs46xx driver), and a bt878 video capture card.

    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Andrew.

  2. Re: device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)

    You should probably disable arts and use alsa instead. I've did it about 1,5
    month ago and now I'm very happy - no more sound delays and corruptions and
    so on.

    > I have a longstanding multiuser problem with aRts. It happens to me often
    > that when another user on my host has been using an application that makes
    > sound, my sound won't work. If I try to start an application (such as a
    > movie player) that makes sound, sometimes it will block or hang, and
    > sometimes it will start but not play movies, or will play movies but
    > without sound. So I go to the Control Center to restart the sound server,
    > and when I try, an error dialog pops up with the following message:
    >
    > Error while initializing the sound driver:
    > device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)
    > The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
    >
    > In the old days I used to be able to find out which application had grabbed
    > control of the sound device by running 'lsof /dev/dsp'. That doesn't work
    > now with aRts, but I don't know what the corresponding device file or
    > command is.
    >
    > I know that my other users are the source of the problem, because if I slay
    > them all then eventually I get my sound server back. Sometimes I can get
    > it back by just killing other sound-using applications, but sometimes I
    > can't and have to slay the users.
    >
    > All users have "Auto-suspend if idle" turned on and set to 3 seconds.
    >
    > I'm using ALSA with kernel 2.6.10, a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card
    > (cs46xx driver), and a bt878 video capture card.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Andrew.

  3. Re: device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)

    On Friday 26 August 2005 15:59, serja wrote:
    > You should probably disable arts and use alsa instead. I've did it about
    > 1,5 month ago and now I'm very happy - no more sound delays and corruptions
    > and so on.

    He is using ALSA, so artsd is just another ALSA capable player

    Cheers,
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread