device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy) - Debian

This is a discussion on device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy) - Debian ; I have a longstanding multiuser problem with aRts. It happens to me often that when another user on my host has been using an application that makes sound, my sound won't work. If I try to start an application (such ...

  1. device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)

    I have a longstanding multiuser problem with aRts. It happens to me often
    that when another user on my host has been using an application that makes
    sound, my sound won't work. If I try to start an application (such as a
    movie player) that makes sound, sometimes it will block or hang, and
    sometimes it will start but not play movies, or will play movies but
    without sound. So I go to the Control Center to restart the sound server,
    and when I try, an error dialog pops up with the following message:

    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

    In the old days I used to be able to find out which application had grabbed
    control of the sound device by running 'lsof /dev/dsp'. That doesn't work
    now with aRts, but I don't know what the corresponding device file or
    command is.

    I know that my other users are the source of the problem, because if I slay
    them all then eventually I get my sound server back. Sometimes I can get
    it back by just killing other sound-using applications, but sometimes I
    can't and have to slay the users.

    All users have "Auto-suspend if idle" turned on and set to 3 seconds.

    I'm using ALSA with kernel 2.6.10, a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card
    (cs46xx driver), and a bt878 video capture card.

    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Andrew.

  2. Re: device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)

    Andrew Schulman wrote:

    >I have a longstanding multiuser problem with aRts. It happens to me often
    >that when another user on my host has been using an application that makes
    >sound, my sound won't work. If I try to start an application (such as a
    >movie player) that makes sound, sometimes it will block or hang, and
    >sometimes it will start but not play movies, or will play movies but
    >without sound. So I go to the Control Center to restart the sound server,
    >and when I try, an error dialog pops up with the following message:
    >
    >Error while initializing the sound driver:
    >device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)
    >The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
    >
    >In the old days I used to be able to find out which application had grabbed
    >control of the sound device by running 'lsof /dev/dsp'. That doesn't work
    >now with aRts, but I don't know what the corresponding device file or
    >command is.
    >
    >I know that my other users are the source of the problem, because if I slay
    >them all then eventually I get my sound server back. Sometimes I can get
    >it back by just killing other sound-using applications, but sometimes I
    >can't and have to slay the users.
    >
    >All users have "Auto-suspend if idle" turned on and set to 3 seconds.
    >
    >I'm using ALSA with kernel 2.6.10, a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card
    >(cs46xx driver), and a bt878 video capture card.
    >
    >Any help appreciated.
    >Thanks,
    >Andrew.

    I might be totally wrong, but killing artsd has solved my problems with
    apps taking sound with them.

    ps aux | grep artsd
    kill -9