How do I upgrade non-KDE stuff? - Debian

This is a discussion on How do I upgrade non-KDE stuff? - Debian ; Hello! I do apt-get update and upgrade daily to get the latest updates. Recently I was also hit by the KDE v3.4 bug (lost KDE menus) and had to reinstall a KDE component (dpgk -i ./kdelibs-data_3.3.2-6.1_all.deb) manually. See http://tinyurl.com/d7yvm or ...

  1. How do I upgrade non-KDE stuff?

    Hello!

    I do apt-get update and upgrade daily to get the latest updates. Recently I was also hit by the KDE v3.4 bug
    (lost KDE menus) and had to reinstall a KDE component (dpgk -i ./kdelibs-data_3.3.2-6.1_all.deb) manually. See
    http://tinyurl.com/d7yvm or
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...%26rnum%3D6%26
    for the full details. Since I won't be able to upgrade KDE for a while until these conflicts are resolved, how
    can I install and upgrade non-KDE packages?

    Here's the problem with apt-get commands after updating:

    # apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    kdelibs: Depends: kdelibs-data (>= 4:3.3.2-7) but 4:3.3.2-6.1 is installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

    # apt-get -f install
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    arts kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2 libarts1c2 libartsc0 libopenexr2c2 libqt3-mt qt3-dev-tools
    Suggested packages:
    libqt3-mt-psql libqt3-mt-mysql libqt3-mt-odbc
    Recommended packages:
    perl-suid libqt3-mt-dev libqt3-dev
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    akode ark artsbuilder dbus-qt-1 dcoprss eyesapplet fifteenapplet guarddog juk k3b k3blibs kaboodle
    kappfinder kate kate-plugins
    kaudiocreator kcalc kcharselect kcmlinuz kcoloredit kcontrol kcron kdat kde-core kdeaddons-kfile-plugins
    kdeadmin
    kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdeartwork-style kdeartwork-theme-window kdebase kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins
    kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs4 kdelirc kdemultimedia kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data
    kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins
    kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork kdenetwork-filesharing kdepasswd kdepim-kio-plugins kdeprint kdesktop
    kdessh kdeutils
    kdewebdev kdf kdict kdvi kedit kfilereplace kfind kfloppy kgamma kget kghostview kgpg khelpcenter khexedit
    kicker
    kicker-applets kiconedit kimagemapeditor kjots klaptopdaemon klinkstatus klipper kmenuedit kmid kmilo kmix
    kmoon kmrml
    knewsticker kolourpaint kommander konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kopete korn kpackage
    kpager kpdf
    kpersonalizer kpf kpovmodeler kppp krdc krec kregexpeditor krfb kruler kscd kscreensaver
    kscreensaver-xsavers ksig ksim ksirc
    ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash ksvg ksysguard ksysv ktimer ktip ktnef ktux kuickshow kuser kview kviewshell
    kwalletmanager
    kweather kwifimanager kwin kxsldbg libarts1 libarts1-audiofile libarts1-mpeglib libarts1-xine libcvsservice0
    libkcddb1
    libkdenetwork2 libkonq4 libopenexr2 libqt3c102-mt librss1 licq licq-plugin-qt mpeglib noatun noatun-plugins
    pinentry-qt
    qtparted quanta secpolicy vimpart
    kdelibs4c2 libarts1c2 libopenexr2c2 libqt3-mt
    arts kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data libartsc0 qt3-dev-tools
    6 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 142 to remove and 12 not upgraded.
    Need to get 22.9MB of archives.
    After unpacking 200MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
    Abort.
    --
    "Did the ant fall off the toilet seat because she was pissed off?" --unknown
    /\___/\
    \ _ / E-mail: philpi@earthlink.net or ant@zimage.com
    ( )

  2. Re: How do I upgrade non-KDE stuff?

    * Phillip Pi [Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:10:24 -0700]:

    > Here's the problem with apt-get commands after updating:

    > # apt-get upgrade
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > Building dependency tree... Done
    > You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    > kdelibs: Depends: kdelibs-data (>= 4:3.3.2-7) but 4:3.3.2-6.1 is installed
    > E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

    Install the kdelibs-data matching your kdelibs4, that is:

    % wget http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2....3.2-7_all.deb
    % dpkg -i kdelibs-data_3.3.2-7_all.deb

    --
    Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

    Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence.
    -- Dijkstra

  3. Re: How do I upgrade non-KDE stuff?

    On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 01:14:47AM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
    > * Phillip Pi [Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:10:24 -0700]:
    >
    > > Here's the problem with apt-get commands after updating:

    > > # apt-get upgrade
    > > Reading package lists... Done
    > > Building dependency tree... Done
    > > You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    > > kdelibs: Depends: kdelibs-data (>= 4:3.3.2-7) but 4:3.3.2-6.1 is installed
    > > E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

    > Install the kdelibs-data matching your kdelibs4, that is:
    >
    > % wget http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2....3.2-7_all.deb
    > % dpkg -i kdelibs-data_3.3.2-7_all.deb

    Thank you Adeodato. Iguess I downloaded the wrong build when I tried to downgrade last week or so. Now, I can
    upgrade other stuff:

    Preparing to replace kdelibs-data 4:3.3.2-6.1 (using kdelibs-data_3.3.2-7_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement kdelibs-data ...
    Setting up kdelibs-data (3.3.2-7) ...
    ANTian:/home/ant/download# apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    arts dosemu kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data libtunepimp-bin qt3-dev-tools
    debconf debconf-i18n libartsc0 libimlib2 libopenal0 libwxgtk2.6-0 openoffice.org openoffice.org-bin
    openoffice.org-l10n-en
    tasksel ttf-opensymbol
    11 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
    Need to get 70.3MB of archives.
    After unpacking 59.6MB of additional disk space will be used.

    I hope I don't run into new problems.
    --
    "Did the ant fall off the toilet seat because she was pissed off?" --unknown
    /\___/\
    \ _ / E-mail: philpi@earthlink.net or ant@zimage.com
    ( )

  4. Unmet dependencies

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Phillip Pi wrote:
    > Here's the problem with apt-get commands after updating:
    >
    > # apt-get upgrade
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > Building dependency tree... Done
    > You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    > kdelibs: Depends: kdelibs-data (>= 4:3.3.2-7) but 4:3.3.2-6.1 is installed
    > E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

    I hacked around this problem by editing the kdelibs entry in
    /var/lib/dpkg/status so that...

    Depends: kdelibs-data (>= 4:3.3.2-6)
    ^^^
    ....which was:

    * quick, only one entry needed to be changed
    * easy, as in keeping the system happy with an existing situation
    vs. forcing the system to do something it doesn't want to do
    * automatically reversed, when the new kdelibs got installed

    Generally, one does not want to manually edit the status file.
    However, if the required hack is "quick", "easy" and a one-time thing
    why not, eh.

    - Bruce