Missing kde menus - Debian

This is a discussion on Missing kde menus - Debian ; Hi, For some unknown reason practically all my KDE settings have vanished. I no longer have any application menu entries (I have log out and run etc) on the kicker (I think that's what it's called). All the application file ...

  1. Missing kde menus

    Hi,

    For some unknown reason practically all my KDE settings have vanished. I no
    longer have any application menu entries (I have log out and run etc) on the
    kicker (I think that's what it's called). All the application file type
    associations have been lost as well.

    I found this thread that seemed to be somewhat related
    (http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2.../msg00100.html) but the solution
    mentioned in there (removing and re-adding a blank ~/.config/menus folder)
    didn't work. Any ideas what might be wrong and how I can fix it. I am running
    unstable so I suppose I should have expected this ).

    I have a back up of my home directory from a few days ago when the menu system
    was working so if push comes to shove I suppose I could copy the menu files
    over. Trouble is I don't know which files.

    Many thanks,

    Graham

  2. Re: Missing kde menus

    On Saturday, 20 August 2005 14:08, Graham Smith wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > For some unknown reason practically all my KDE settings have vanished. I no
    > longer have any application menu entries (I have log out and run etc) on
    > the kicker (I think that's what it's called). All the application file type
    > associations have been lost as well.
    >
    > I found this thread that seemed to be somewhat related
    > (http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2.../msg00100.html) but the solution
    > mentioned in there (removing and re-adding a blank ~/.config/menus folder)
    > didn't work. Any ideas what might be wrong and how I can fix it. I am
    > running unstable so I suppose I should have expected this ).

    Have you read http://bugs.debian.org/323747 ?

    You should check reported bugs before asking

    Downgrading kdelibs-data should fix your problem.

    Best regards

    --
    Isaac Clerencia at Warp Networks, http://www.warp.es
    Work: | Debian:

  3. Re: Missing kde menus

    On Saturday 20 August 2005 13:13, Isaac Clerencia wrote:
    > On Saturday, 20 August 2005 14:08, Graham Smith wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > For some unknown reason practically all my KDE settings have vanished. I
    > > no longer have any application menu entries (I have log out and run etc)
    > > on the kicker (I think that's what it's called). All the application file
    > > type associations have been lost as well.
    > >
    > > I found this thread that seemed to be somewhat related
    > > (http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2.../msg00100.html) but the
    > > solution mentioned in there (removing and re-adding a blank
    > > ~/.config/menus folder) didn't work. Any ideas what might be wrong and
    > > how I can fix it. I am running unstable so I suppose I should have
    > > expected this ).

    > Have you read http://bugs.debian.org/323747 ?
    >
    > You should check reported bugs before asking
    >
    > Downgrading kdelibs-data should fix your problem.
    >
    > Best regards

    Thanks, I found a thread about it just after I posted and am trying to
    downgrade now.

    Graham.

  4. Re: Missing kde menus

    On Saturday 20 August 2005 13:13, Isaac Clerencia wrote:
    > On Saturday, 20 August 2005 14:08, Graham Smith wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > For some unknown reason practically all my KDE settings have vanished. I
    > > no longer have any application menu entries (I have log out and run etc)
    > > on the kicker (I think that's what it's called). All the application file
    > > type associations have been lost as well.
    > >
    > > I found this thread that seemed to be somewhat related
    > > (http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2.../msg00100.html) but the
    > > solution mentioned in there (removing and re-adding a blank
    > > ~/.config/menus folder) didn't work. Any ideas what might be wrong and
    > > how I can fix it. I am running unstable so I suppose I should have
    > > expected this ).

    > Have you read http://bugs.debian.org/323747 ?
    >
    > You should check reported bugs before asking
    >
    > Downgrading kdelibs-data should fix your problem.
    >
    > Best regards

    Sorry to be a pain but I don't have kdelibs-data_4:3.3.2-7_all.deb (or any 3.3
    version for that matter) in my apt archive. I have grabbed
    kdelibs-data_3.3.2-6.1_all.deb from
    http://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64...ain/k/kdelibs/

    Is this the right package to downgrade with (I'm running the AMD64 port)? I
    notice it is missing a leading 4: on the version but there aren't any 4:
    containing packages in the repository.

    Many thanks,

    Graham

  5. Re: Missing kde menus

    * Graham Smith [Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:34:42 +0100]:

    > Sorry to be a pain but I don't have kdelibs-data_4:3.3.2-7_all.deb (or any 3.3
    > version for that matter) in my apt archive. I have grabbed
    > kdelibs-data_3.3.2-6.1_all.deb from
    > http://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64...ain/k/kdelibs/

    > Is this the right package to downgrade with (I'm running the AMD64 port)?

    Yes. Both kdelibs-data 3.3.2-7 and 3.3.2-6.1 are fine.

    --
    Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

    Beauty, brains, availability, personality: pick any two.