KDE menu applications gone - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE menu applications gone - Debian ; Hi, I'm running SID and have just done an update on my system, unfortunately this appears to have broken things. KDE is at 3.3.2-7, I am holding kdelibs abd kdelibs-bin untill the rest of the kde progs are updated to ...

  1. KDE menu applications gone

    Hi,
    I'm running SID and have just done an update on my system, unfortunately
    this appears to have broken things. KDE is at 3.3.2-7, I am holding
    kdelibs abd kdelibs-bin untill the rest of the kde progs are updated to
    3.4.2

    The KMenu has no applications in it, there is only bookmarks, quick
    browser, run command, lock session and logout showing
    If I try running kcontrol from a konsole i get WARNING: No K menu group
    with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found ! Defaulting to Settings/
    and no icons are shown in the kcontrol window.

    I've moved my .kde directorys away so that kde starts fresh but the
    problem doesn't go away.
    I've done some searching but everything I've found doesn't appear to fix
    it. (checking libqt versions and setting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and
    XDG_DATA_DIRS in the .bashrc)
    Is there anything else I can try or is this a package problem that is
    being worked on?

    Many thanks
    Barney

  2. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    ;-) that happened to me this morning as well (my heart stopped beating for a
    while).

    Just downgrade kdelibs-data to 4:3.3.2-7 and everything is in place again.
    (After that, I restarted kde with /etc/init.d/kdm stop and start).

    I found the old kdelibs-data with the apt-get archive, so I just had to
    dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-7_all.deb

    and thats it.

    Greetings, Tim

    Am Donnerstag, 18. August 2005 15:36 schrieb Barney Garrett:
    > Hi,
    > I'm running SID and have just done an update on my system, unfortunately
    > this appears to have broken things. KDE is at 3.3.2-7, I am holding
    > kdelibs abd kdelibs-bin untill the rest of the kde progs are updated to
    > 3.4.2
    >
    > The KMenu has no applications in it, there is only bookmarks, quick
    > browser, run command, lock session and logout showing
    > If I try running kcontrol from a konsole i get WARNING: No K menu group
    > with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found ! Defaulting to Settings/
    > and no icons are shown in the kcontrol window.
    >
    > I've moved my .kde directorys away so that kde starts fresh but the
    > problem doesn't go away.
    > I've done some searching but everything I've found doesn't appear to fix
    > it. (checking libqt versions and setting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and
    > XDG_DATA_DIRS in the .bashrc)
    > Is there anything else I can try or is this a package problem that is
    > being worked on?
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Barney
    >

    > --

    listmaster@lists.debian.org

  3. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    Phew ... I'd not noticed that one getting upgraded.
    I didn't have 3.3.2 in my archive but I managed to download it and
    everything is fixed again.

    Many Thanks

    Barney

    Tim Ruehsen wrote:
    > ;-) that happened to me this morning as well (my heart stopped beating for a
    > while).
    >
    > Just downgrade kdelibs-data to 4:3.3.2-7 and everything is in place again.
    > (After that, I restarted kde with /etc/init.d/kdm stop and start).
    >
    > I found the old kdelibs-data with the apt-get archive, so I just had to
    > dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-7_all.deb
    >
    > and thats it.
    >
    > Greetings, Tim
    >
    > Am Donnerstag, 18. August 2005 15:36 schrieb Barney Garrett:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I'm running SID and have just done an update on my system, unfortunately
    >>this appears to have broken things. KDE is at 3.3.2-7, I am holding
    >>kdelibs abd kdelibs-bin untill the rest of the kde progs are updated to
    >>3.4.2
    >>
    >>The KMenu has no applications in it, there is only bookmarks, quick
    >>browser, run command, lock session and logout showing
    >>If I try running kcontrol from a konsole i get WARNING: No K menu group
    >>with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found ! Defaulting to Settings/
    >>and no icons are shown in the kcontrol window.
    >>
    >>I've moved my .kde directorys away so that kde starts fresh but the
    >>problem doesn't go away.
    >>I've done some searching but everything I've found doesn't appear to fix
    >>it. (checking libqt versions and setting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and
    >>XDG_DATA_DIRS in the .bashrc)
    >>Is there anything else I can try or is this a package problem that is
    >>being worked on?
    >>
    >>Many thanks
    >>Barney
    >>

    >>--

    > listmaster@lists.debian.org

  4. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    Barney Garrett wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm running SID and have just done an update on my system,
    > unfortunately this appears to have broken things. KDE is at 3.3.2-7,
    > I am holding kdelibs abd kdelibs-bin untill the rest of the kde progs
    > are updated to 3.4.2

    Hi,
    please read this
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2.../msg00089.html . You should
    avoid upgrading KDE stuffs until the mail from the KDE mantainers

    MC

  5. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    Hi Marco,

    > > I am holding kdelibs abd kdelibs-bin untill the rest of the kde progs
    > > are updated to 3.4.2

    > http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2.../msg00089.html . You should
    > avoid upgrading KDE stuffs until the mail from the KDE mantainers

    The document says 'do apt-get upgrade' and/or hold kdelibs4. It did not
    mention kdelibs-data. This is why Barney and me rushed into that problem.
    Ok, maybe I have still been in sleep mode ;-)

    Tim

  6. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    * Tim Ruehsen [Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:21:12 +0200]:

    > The document says 'do apt-get upgrade' and/or hold kdelibs4. It did not
    > mention kdelibs-data. This is why Barney and me rushed into that problem.

    Correct. There is a _real_ bug here, #323747, that will be fixed in
    the next upload.

    --
    Adeodato Simˇ
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

    One way to make your old car run better is to look up the price of a new model.

  7. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    Sorry, could you elaborate on how you did an apt-get of an older
    version of the .deb file? I am in exactly the same boat - I just
    downgraded to testing, and kcontrol shows up with no icons at all.

    On 8/18/05, Tim Ruehsen wrote:
    > ;-) that happened to me this morning as well (my heart stopped beating for a
    > while).
    >
    > Just downgrade kdelibs-data to 4:3.3.2-7 and everything is in place again..
    > (After that, I restarted kde with /etc/init.d/kdm stop and start).
    >
    > I found the old kdelibs-data with the apt-get archive, so I just had to
    > dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-7_all.deb
    >
    > and thats it.
    >
    > Greetings, Tim
    >
    > Am Donnerstag, 18. August 2005 15:36 schrieb Barney Garrett:
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm running SID and have just done an update on my system, unfortunately
    > > this appears to have broken things. KDE is at 3.3.2-7, I am holding
    > > kdelibs abd kdelibs-bin untill the rest of the kde progs are updated to
    > > 3.4.2
    > >
    > > The KMenu has no applications in it, there is only bookmarks, quick
    > > browser, run command, lock session and logout showing
    > > If I try running kcontrol from a konsole i get WARNING: No K menu group
    > > with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found ! Defaulting to Settings/
    > > and no icons are shown in the kcontrol window.
    > >
    > > I've moved my .kde directorys away so that kde starts fresh but the
    > > problem doesn't go away.
    > > I've done some searching but everything I've found doesn't appear to fix
    > > it. (checking libqt versions and setting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and
    > > XDG_DATA_DIRS in the .bashrc)
    > > Is there anything else I can try or is this a package problem that is
    > > being worked on?
    > >
    > > Many thanks
    > > Barney
    > >

    > > --

    > listmaster@lists.debian.org
    > >

    > --

  8. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    2005/8/22, Alan Ezust :
    > Sorry, could you elaborate on how you did an apt-get of an older
    > version of the .deb file? I am in exactly the same boat - I just
    > downgraded to testing, and kcontrol shows up with no icons at all.

    see http://snapshot.debian.net/

    Bj÷rn

  9. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    I also uninstalled kde unintentionally. Out of interest, is there an
    approximate time when kde will be working in unstable again? I just
    need to weigh up whether it is worth me installing it from testing or
    not or whether I should wait.

    Thanks alot,
    Paul

    On 8/22/05, Alan Ezust wrote:
    > Sorry, could you elaborate on how you did an apt-get of an older
    > version of the .deb file? I am in exactly the same boat - I just
    > downgraded to testing, and kcontrol shows up with no icons at all.
    >

    > On 8/18/05, Tim Ruehsen wrote:
    > > ;-) that happened to me this morning as well (my heart stopped beating for a
    > > while).
    > >
    > > Just downgrade kdelibs-data to 4:3.3.2-7 and everything is in place again.
    > > (After that, I restarted kde with /etc/init.d/kdm stop and start).
    > >
    > > I found the old kdelibs-data with the apt-get archive, so I just had to
    > > dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-7_all.deb
    > >
    > > and thats it.
    > >
    > > Greetings, Tim
    > >
    > > Am Donnerstag, 18. August 2005 15:36 schrieb Barney Garrett:
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I'm running SID and have just done an update on my system, unfortunately
    > > > this appears to have broken things. KDE is at 3.3.2-7, I am holding
    > > > kdelibs abd kdelibs-bin untill the rest of the kde progs are updated to
    > > > 3.4.2
    > > >
    > > > The KMenu has no applications in it, there is only bookmarks, quick
    > > > browser, run command, lock session and logout showing
    > > > If I try running kcontrol from a konsole i get WARNING: No K menu group
    > > > with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found ! Defaulting to Settings/
    > > > and no icons are shown in the kcontrol window.
    > > >
    > > > I've moved my .kde directorys away so that kde starts fresh but the
    > > > problem doesn't go away.
    > > > I've done some searching but everything I've found doesn't appear to fix
    > > > it. (checking libqt versions and setting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and
    > > > XDG_DATA_DIRS in the .bashrc)
    > > > Is there anything else I can try or is this a package problem that is
    > > > being worked on?
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks
    > > > Barney
    > > >

    > > > --

    > > listmaster@lists.debian.org
    > > >

    > > --

  10. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    * Squarris [Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:29:50 +0100]:

    > I also uninstalled kde unintentionally. Out of interest, is there an
    > approximate time when kde will be working in unstable again? I just
    > need to weigh up whether it is worth me installing it from testing or
    > not or whether I should wait.

    I recommend that you install from testing (3.3.2) or alioth (3.4.1).

    --
    Adeodato Simˇ
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

    Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one
    instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every
    program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work.

  11. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    On Monday 22 August 2005 02:29 pm, Squarris wrote:
    > I also uninstalled kde unintentionally. Out of interest, is there an
    > approximate time when kde will be working in unstable again? I just
    > need to weigh up whether it is worth me installing it from testing or
    > not or whether I should wait.

    They said "real soon now" two weeks ago, and then someone just today re-posted
    that two-week old message as a news item to draw better attention to it.

    Draw your own conclusions from this observation.

    --
    Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
    http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

  12. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    * Silvan [Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:15:59 -0400]:

    > On Monday 22 August 2005 02:29 pm, Squarris wrote:
    > > I also uninstalled kde unintentionally. Out of interest, is there an
    > > approximate time when kde will be working in unstable again? I just
    > > need to weigh up whether it is worth me installing it from testing or
    > > not or whether I should wait.

    > They said "real soon now" two weeks ago,

    That was referred to when it would start, not to when would it finish.

    --
    Adeodato Simˇ
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

    Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one
    instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every
    program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work.

  13. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    Alan Ezust wrote:

    > Sorry, could you elaborate on how you did an apt-get of an older
    > version of the .deb file? I am in exactly the same boat - I just
    > downgraded to testing, and kcontrol shows up with no icons at all.

    Just download kdelibs-data_3.3.2-6.1_all.deb from www.debian.org (search
    packages).
    After download, as root, do:

    dpgk -i ./kdelibs-data_3.3.2-6.1_all.deb

    from the directory where you put the downloaded file. dpkg will now
    downgrade your kde-libs data.
    You should be aware however that from then on in you will be bugged about a
    broken package, but you'll have a working kde until you can upgrade it
    properly.

    Jan
    --
    ** Do not use the reply-to address. It'll end up in the trash can
    ** Mail me at: janATschledermann.or"REMOVE_THIS"g

  14. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    On 8/23/05, Jan Schledermann wrote:
    > Alan Ezust wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry, could you elaborate on how you did an apt-get of an older
    > > version of the .deb file? I am in exactly the same boat - I just
    > > downgraded to testing, and kcontrol shows up with no icons at all.
    > >

    > Just download kdelibs-data_3.3.2-6.1_all.deb from www.debian.org (search
    > packages).
    > After download, as root, do:
    >
    > dpgk -i ./kdelibs-data_3.3.2-6.1_all.deb

    thanks for the tip, those of us not debian gurus suffer with this bugs :-)

    Max
    --
    Linux garaged 2.6.9-rc1-mm1 #3 SMP Mon Aug 30 12:14:50 CDT 2004 i686
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

  15. Re: Re: KDE menu applications gone

    > > I am holding kdelibs abd kdelibs-bin untill the rest of the kde progs
    > > are updated to 3.4.2

    > http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2.../msg00089.html . You should
    > avoid upgrading KDE stuffs until the mail from the KDE mantainers

    > The document says 'do apt-get upgrade' and/or hold kdelibs4. It did
    > not
    > mention kdelibs-data. This is why Barney and me rushed into that
    > problem.
    > Ok, maybe I have still been in sleep mode ;-)

    I was just in sleep mode. Normally I do double checks of version
    numbers but I just missed that one.

    Barney

  16. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    Well, the first reply indicated I should use kdelibs-3.3.2-7.1 but I
    couldn't find that one anywhere.

    I already had 3.3.2-6.1, but I tried dpkg -i to reinstall both that and
    kcontrol, but it had no effect - I am still unable to see any menus inside
    kcontrol.

    My problem was not related to the KDE menu though - it was related to the
    kcontrol menu groups. Any other suggestions on how to get kcontrol items
    back after a downgrade?

    On 8/23/05, garaged wrote:

    > On 8/23/05, Jan Schledermann wrote:
    > > Alan Ezust wrote:
    > >
    > > > Sorry, could you elaborate on how you did an apt-get of an older
    > > > version of the .deb file? I am in exactly the same boat - I just
    > > > downgraded to testing, and kcontrol shows up with no icons at all.
    > > >

    > > Just download kdelibs-data_3.3.2-6.1_all.deb from www.debian.org(search
    > > packages).
    > > After download, as root, do:
    > >
    > > dpgk -i ./kdelibs-data_3.3.2-6.1_all.deb
    > >

    > thanks for the tip, those of us not debian gurus suffer with this bugs :-)
    >
    > Max
    > --
    > Linux garaged 2.6.9-rc1-mm1 #3 SMP Mon Aug 30 12:14:50 CDT 2004 i686
    > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
    > gpg-key: http://garaged.homeip.net/gpg-key.txt

  17. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    did that. I still get this message:

    kcontrol: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found !
    Defaulting to Settings/

    And no items in the KControl menu.

    Any other ideas?

    On 8/28/05, Josh Metzler wrote:

    > Yes - the important package is kdelibs-data:

    > Josh

  18. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    On Wednesday 31 August 2005 03:02 pm, Alan Ezust wrote:
    > did that. I still get this message:
    >
    > kcontrol: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found !
    > Defaulting to Settings/
    >
    > And no items in the KControl menu.
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    Yes, kdebase-data has the same bug and causes all kcontrol entries to
    disappear. See bug #325592.

    If you still have kdebase-data in apt's archive, you can do this:
    dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data_4%3a3.3.2-1_all.deb

    Or, if you have testing in your sources.list, you can do
    apt-get install kdebase-data/testing

    Otherwise, download kdebase-data_3.3.2-1_all.deb from Debian's website, and
    install it using dpkg -i kdebase-data_3.3.2-1_all.deb.

    Josh

  19. Re: KDE menu applications gone

    Josh Metzler wrote:

    >On Wednesday 31 August 2005 03:02 pm, Alan Ezust wrote:
    >

    >>did that. I still get this message:
    >>
    >>kcontrol: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found !
    >>Defaulting to Settings/
    >>
    >>And no items in the KControl menu.
    >>
    >>Any other ideas?
    >>

    >Yes, kdebase-data has the same bug and causes all kcontrol entries to
    >disappear. See bug #325592.

    I think I would just like to add here that I have succesfully migrated
    to an all 3.4.2 desktop with pure sid packages. A lot of stuff is
    missing, like kdepim and I get by with mozilla-thunderbird as my mail
    client for now.

    The point is that this works for me with absolutely no issues
    whatsoever. The K-menu is fully populated and KControl works fine as well.

    Anders