Just wondering... - Debian

This is a discussion on Just wondering... - Debian ; Hi there, I am currently running Debian 3.1 and have no major problems except one: Sometimes I am in the middle of an application, whether it be a game, OpenOffice doing some work, or even chatting using xChat 2.4.3 my ...

  1. Just wondering...

    Hi there,

    I am currently running Debian 3.1 and have no major problems except one:

    Sometimes I am in the middle of an application, whether it be a game,
    OpenOffice doing some work, or even chatting using xChat 2.4.3 my system
    logs me off and I go back to the logon screen. Like I said, it doesn't
    matter what I'm running. This happens at periodic times of the day and
    applications are varied on what I'm running. Any idea why this could be
    happening?

    Thanks...

  2. Sudden logouts (was: Just wondering...)

    On Wednesday 17 August 2005 15:55, Richard Wegner wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am currently running Debian 3.1 and have no major problems except one:
    >
    > Sometimes I am in the middle of an application, whether it be a game,
    > OpenOffice doing some work, or even chatting using xChat 2.4.3 my system
    > logs me off and I go back to the logon screen. Like I said, it doesn't
    > matter what I'm running. This happens at periodic times of the day and
    > applications are varied on what I'm running. Any idea why this could be
    > happening?

    I have no idea, but I seem to replicate the problem. I was just doing some
    work around the house, having xmms running on a net radio. Suddenly the music
    stops, and I off course blame the net radio.

    However, when I return to my system, I see that I've been logged out. I am not
    exactly sure of the time it happened, but in the syslog this entry seems
    suspicious:

    Aug 18 23:04:23 localhost kernel: agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant device
    at 0000:00:00.0.
    Aug 18 23:04:23 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at
    0000:00:00.0 into 1x mode
    Aug 18 23:04:23 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at
    0000:01:00.0 into 1x mode
    Aug 18 23:04:24 localhost kernel: [drm] Loading R200 Microcode

    Does something like this happen to you, Richard?

    Regards, Anders Breindahl.

  3. Re: Just wondering...

    Gaskavahkku, borgemánu 17. b. 2005 15:55, Richard Wegner čálii:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am currently running Debian 3.1 and have no major problems except one:
    >
    > Sometimes I am in the middle of an application, whether it be a game,
    > OpenOffice doing some work, or even chatting using xChat 2.4.3 my system
    > logs me off and I go back to the logon screen. Like I said, it doesn't
    > matter what I'm running. This happens at periodic times of the day and
    > applications are varied on what I'm running. Any idea why this could be
    > happening?
    >
    > Thanks...

    I had the same problem a while ago, but that was using x.org.

    If I had the following setup in my xorg.conf file, X would log me out if I
    used gtk1 apps.

    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

    Børre

  4. Re: Sudden logouts (was: Just wondering...)

    El Jueves, 18 de Agosto de 2005 23:27, Anders Breindahl escribi:
    > On Wednesday 17 August 2005 15:55, Richard Wegner wrote:

    [...]
    > I have no idea, but I seem to replicate the problem. I was just doing some
    > work around the house, having xmms running on a net radio. Suddenly the
    > music stops, and I off course blame the net radio.
    >
    > However, when I return to my system, I see that I've been logged out. I am
    > not exactly sure of the time it happened, but in the syslog this entry
    > seems suspicious:
    >
    > Aug 18 23:04:23 localhost kernel: agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant
    > device at 0000:00:00.0.
    > Aug 18 23:04:23 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at
    > 0000:00:00.0 into 1x mode
    > Aug 18 23:04:23 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at
    > 0000:01:00.0 into 1x mode
    > Aug 18 23:04:24 localhost kernel: [drm] Loading R200 Microcode
    >
    > Does something like this happen to you, Richard?

    Those sudden logout are mostly due to your X Window System crashing, and
    given that xdm/kdm is respawning, a new instance of xdm/kdm is launched and
    you see the log-in screen. Check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log,

    Best regards,

    Ender.
    --
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.