polish characters - Debian

This is a discussion on polish characters - Debian ; Would somebody please point out how to set up a polish keyboard in KDE? I tried configuring the keyboard layout in control center, selected the polish keyboard layout, but cannot find where all the language-specific characters are. In fact, it ...

  1. polish characters

    Would somebody please point out how to set up a polish keyboard in
    KDE? I tried configuring the keyboard layout in control center,
    selected the polish keyboard layout, but cannot find where all the
    language-specific characters are. In fact, it seems that the US layout
    is still being used. It would help to have some application that
    shows where each character is on the keyboard. Macs have something
    where you shown a keyboard layout and the keys change colors,
    depending on which one you press, as well as showing the modified keys
    after shift, ctrl, alt. Anyone know an equivalent of that?

    Thanks in advance for any help,
    --
    Sebastian P. Luque

  2. Re: polish characters

    On Wednesday 10 August 2005 08:51 pm, Sebastian Luque wrote:
    > Would somebody please point out how to set up a polish keyboard in
    > KDE? I tried configuring the keyboard layout in control center,
    > selected the polish keyboard layout, but cannot find where all the
    > language-specific characters are. In fact, it seems that the US layout
    > is still being used. It would help to have some application that
    > shows where each character is on the keyboard. Macs have something
    > where you shown a keyboard layout and the keys change colors,
    > depending on which one you press, as well as showing the modified keys
    > after shift, ctrl, alt. Anyone know an equivalent of that?

    Unless I'm way off base here (and I certainly could be), Polish uses an
    accented Latin alphabet, so the standard X Compose stuff would work. Go into
    KControl -> Regional & Accessibility, Keyboard Layout, select the Xkb Options
    tab, and check one of the options under Compose Key in the big
    list-o-checkboxes. I use Right Alt. Then you can compose accented characters
    with key combos, e.g.:

    compose+slash, l = ł
    compose+single-quote, o = ó
    compose+semicolon, e = ę

    ...and so on. I have this handy shellscript that lets me paste a letter from
    KCharSelect, and it will show the key combo to enter it:

    #!/bin/sh
    dir=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale
    dir="$dir/`sed -n "s#\([^/]*\)/.*:.*$LANG#\1#p" \
    < $dir/locale.dir`"
    grep -F $1 $dir/Compose

    just run it and pass it a single character as an argument, e.g.:

    $ ./compose.sh é
    : "é" eacute # LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE
    : "é" eacute # LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE
    : "é" eacute # LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE
    : "é" eacute # LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE
    $

    Those are the possible combos for entering that character - you're interested
    in the Multi_key sequences.

    Hope this helps.

  3. Re: polish characters

    Ian Eure wrote:
    > On Wednesday 10 August 2005 08:51 pm, Sebastian Luque wrote:

    [...]

    > Unless I'm way off base here (and I certainly could be), Polish uses an
    > accented Latin alphabet, so the standard X Compose stuff would work. Go into
    > KControl -> Regional & Accessibility, Keyboard Layout, select the Xkb Options
    > tab, and check one of the options under Compose Key in the big
    > list-o-checkboxes. I use Right Alt. Then you can compose accented characters
    > with key combos, e.g.:

    > compose+slash, l = ł
    > compose+single-quote, o = ó
    > compose+semicolon, e = ę

    Thanks a lot Ian. I didn't have anything checked on the 'compose' key
    option of the Xkb tab, but never had any problems using other layouts
    with accented characters. e.g. I often use the spanish and french
    layouts which I'm fairly familiar with, so to write é, I simply type
    (assuming the keyboard itself has an english layout) the double quotes
    followed immediately by the letter e. I guess using a 'compose' key
    would help in cases where you're not familiar with a keyboard layout
    (as in my current case!). But what do you do when a letter can have
    more than one type of accent? I'd imagine you use your script below.

    > ...and so on. I have this handy shellscript that lets me paste a letter from
    > KCharSelect, and it will show the key combo to enter it:

    The problem is that I can't even find the polish accented characters
    in KCharSelect. I haven't looked at all the fonts, but doing that
    everytime I need to find a character seems extremely inefficient to
    me. Do you use KCharSelect in a better way?

    Your script looks great for other cases where I /can/ find the
    character!

    Thanks once again,

    --
    Sebastian P. Luque

  4. Re: polish characters

    On Thursday 11 August 2005 07:29 am, Sebastian Luque wrote:
    > Ian Eure wrote:
    > > On Wednesday 10 August 2005 08:51 pm, Sebastian Luque wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    > > Unless I'm way off base here (and I certainly could be), Polish uses an
    > > accented Latin alphabet, so the standard X Compose stuff would work. Go
    > > into KControl -> Regional & Accessibility, Keyboard Layout, select the
    > > Xkb Options tab, and check one of the options under Compose Key in the
    > > big
    > > list-o-checkboxes. I use Right Alt. Then you can compose accented
    > > characters with key combos, e.g.:
    > >
    > > compose+slash, l = ł
    > > compose+single-quote, o = ó
    > > compose+semicolon, e = ę

    > Thanks a lot Ian. I didn't have anything checked on the 'compose' key
    > option of the Xkb tab, but never had any problems using other layouts
    > with accented characters. e.g. I often use the spanish and french
    > layouts which I'm fairly familiar with, so to write é, I simply type
    > (assuming the keyboard itself has an english layout) the double quotes
    > followed immediately by the letter e. I guess using a 'compose' key
    > would help in cases where you're not familiar with a keyboard layout
    > (as in my current case!). But what do you do when a letter can have
    > more than one type of accent? I'd imagine you use your script below.

    I found most of the combos out just by fooling around, i.e.:

    compose+single-quote, e = é
    compose+backtick, e = è
    compose+double-quote, e = ë
    compose+tilde, e = ẽ
    compose+carat, e = ê

    The modifiers are pretty standard, i.e. compose+double-quote, some-letter will
    put umlauts over that character; same goes for the grave accents.

    > > ...and so on. I have this handy shellscript that lets me paste a letter
    > > from KCharSelect, and it will show the key combo to enter it:

    > The problem is that I can't even find the polish accented characters
    > in KCharSelect. I haven't looked at all the fonts, but doing that
    > everytime I need to find a character seems extremely inefficient to
    > me. Do you use KCharSelect in a better way?

    I just visually scan the contents of the tables. Table 0 seems to have mostof
    the accented Latin-1 characters.

    You may also be able to find a character by googling it's name on the site:
    fileformat.info. They have a map of all of Unicode, and you should be able to
    turn up what you're looking for.

    > Your script looks great for other cases where I /can/ find the
    > character!

    It's not actually mine, I found it online somewhere. But you're welcome
    nonetheless.

  5. Re: polish characters

    On Thursday 11 August 2005 10:29 am, Sebastian Luque wrote:

    > option of the Xkb tab, but never had any problems using other layouts
    > with accented characters. e.g. I often use the spanish and french

    Playing now in Polish mode...

    Are these Polish characters? It seems the way to get them is to use the
    "Alt-Gr" key. I think out of the box it is supposed to be right Alt, but
    that has never worked here for some reason. I redefined it in the KDE
    keyboard setup thingie (on the Xkb Options tab) as Right Alt + Right Ctrl,
    so, to get ł I type Right Alt+Right Ctrl+w, or for capital, add a shift Ł

    Tedious. I try to avoid the Alt-Gr thing. If you're forced to use it more
    often, perhaps you can assign it to caps lock or something less involved.

    As a silly aside (and feel free to respond privately, if you prefer), can I
    ask why you use the French layout at all? I use the Spanish layout for both
    Spanish and French. Spanish has all the right bits for both languages (ç ê
    etc.), but French doesn't have ñ or ¡ and whatnot, so the Spanishlayout
    seems to be the best bang for the buck.

    --
    Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
    http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

  6. Re: polish characters

    Sorry, but I've missed the beginning of this discussion. Are you use X.org?If
    yes, it has some broken layouts.

    > On Thursday 11 August 2005 10:29 am, Sebastian Luque wrote:
    > > option of the Xkb tab, but never had any problems using other layouts
    > > with accented characters. e.g. I often use the spanish and french

    > Playing now in Polish mode...

    > Are these Polish characters? It seems the way to get them is to use the
    > "Alt-Gr" key. I think out of the box it is supposed to be right Alt, but
    > that has never worked here for some reason. I redefined it in the KDE
    > keyboard setup thingie (on the Xkb Options tab) as Right Alt + Right Ctrl,
    > so, to get ł I type Right Alt+Right Ctrl+w, or for capital, add a shift Ł
    >
    > Tedious. I try to avoid the Alt-Gr thing. If you're forced to use it more
    > often, perhaps you can assign it to caps lock or something less involved.
    >
    > As a silly aside (and feel free to respond privately, if you prefer), canI
    > ask why you use the French layout at all? I use the Spanish layout for
    > both Spanish and French. Spanish has all the right bits for both languages
    > (ç ê etc.), but French doesn't have ñ or ¡ and whatnot, so the Spanish
    > layout seems to be the best bang for the buck.

  7. Re: polish characters

    Silvan wrote:

    [...]

    > As a silly aside (and feel free to respond privately, if you prefer), can I
    > ask why you use the French layout at all? I use the Spanish layout for both
    > Spanish and French. Spanish has all the right bits for both languages (
    > etc.), but French doesn't have or and whatnot, so the Spanish layout
    > seems to be the best bang for the buck.

    The keyboard layout is certainly different (i.e. the position of the keys
    are different), and some characters are not shared between the two
    languages, as you pointed out. I haven't tried if you can create accent
    grave in a spanish keyboard layout. But basically, it's a question of
    familiarity. My keyboard has a "physical" english layout, but when I'm
    writing in french, I like to use it as if it was a french keyboard, and
    likewise with spanish. For instance, to get "" (in french) I would type
    the number 2 on my keyboard (this is where it is physically on a french
    keyboard), and to get "" (in spanish) I'd hit the single quote key (this
    is where the accent is physically on a spanish keyboard) followed by the
    letter e, and so on.

    Now, I don't speak, write, or understand a word of polish, but I would
    have expected my keyboard to turn onto a polish keyboard upon selecting
    that layout on the quick launch bar, as it is for the other languages. In
    other words, I doubt (please correct me if I'm wrong) the polish need to
    type complicated key sequences involving Alt-Gr or some 'compose' key in
    order to write their characters!

    The following looks relevant and will have a look over the weekend:

    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue53/sipos.html

    but any further tips or suggestions are most welcome.

    Thanks so far,

    --
    Sebastian P. Luque