.ICEauthority in other WM than KDE - Debian

This is a discussion on .ICEauthority in other WM than KDE - Debian ; Hi, I'm using Xfce4 on my laptop which have few memory, but I like Kde apps When I launch konqueror for exemple I have a message like: kdeinit: Aborting. No write access to '/home/jody/.ICEauthority' This file belongs to root: -rw------- ...

  1. .ICEauthority in other WM than KDE

    Hi,

    I'm using Xfce4 on my laptop which have few memory, but I like Kde apps
    When I launch konqueror for exemple I have a message like:

    kdeinit: Aborting. No write access to '/home/jody/.ICEauthority'

    This file belongs to root:
    -rw------- 1 root root 358 2005-08-07 18:24 /home/jody/.ICEauthority

    Could someone explain what this file does and why it belongs to root not
    me ?

    Thanks,

    Ps: I'm using KDE 3.4.1-1 from Alioth repository.

    Jody

  2. Re: .ICEauthority in other WM than KDE

    Hi,
    Isaac Clerencia a écrit :
    [...]
    > It's possible that a program that has been run with sudo has created it, as is
    > usually the case with kppp.

    You are right:
    - I 've tried start new desktop session, .ICEauthority is not destroyed
    after closing session
    - I removed it, then start new session of XFCE4: the file is not created
    - Launch konqueror as user, the file is create with user rights
    - Launch sudo konqueror, the file is always mine
    - close both konqueror, start another sudo konqueror: file is created
    with root's rights and so could not be erased by mine konqueror.

    I know now that this file is created by "Kde", I believed that Xfce4 was
    creating its own and don't want to share it :P

    Thanks,

    Jody