gmail in kmail - Debian

This is a discussion on gmail in kmail - Debian ; Today I've got a gmail e-mail account and now want to setup it in kmail. The receiving part through pop3 work just fine, but the sending through smtp don't work: the sending process freeze and nothing actually happen. I've read ...

  1. gmail in kmail

    Today I've got a gmail e-mail account and now want to setup it in kmail. The
    receiving part through pop3 work just fine, but the sending through smtp
    don't work: the sending process freeze and nothing actually happen. I've read
    the gmail howto and followed the instructions, but it wont send my messages.
    What should I do to setup smtp with gmail correctly?
    Thanks in advance!
    Here comes my configuration in kmailrc:

    [Transport 3]
    auth=true
    authtype=LOGIN
    encryption=TLS
    host=smtp.gmail.com
    localHostname=
    name=gmail
    pass=*my password*
    port=587
    precommand=
    specifyHostname=false
    storepass=true
    type=smtp
    user=mylogin@gmail.com

  2. Re: gmail in kmail

    On Tuesday 09 August 2005 15:26, serja wrote:

    > [Transport 3]
    > auth=true
    > authtype=LOGIN

    I use PLAIN

    > encryption=TLS

    SSL works fine with me

    > host=smtp.gmail.com
    > localHostname=
    > name=gmail
    > pass=*my password*
    > port=587

    Albeigth this is stated as a possible port number, I have found myself
    unavalible using this one. Try the 465

    This message was sent trough KMail and smtp.google.com ... you might try my
    setup and report back...

  3. Re: gmail in kmail

    I've tried it but my mail is still in my kmail folder

    > On Tuesday 09 August 2005 15:26, serja wrote:
    > > [Transport 3]
    > > auth=true
    > > authtype=LOGIN

    > I use PLAIN
    >
    > > encryption=TLS

    > SSL works fine with me
    >
    > > host=smtp.gmail.com
    > > localHostname=
    > > name=gmail
    > > pass=*my password*
    > > port=587

    > Albeigth this is stated as a possible port number, I have found myself
    > unavalible using this one. Try the 465
    >
    > This message was sent trough KMail and smtp.google.com ... you might try my
    > setup and report back...

  4. Re: gmail in kmail

    On Tuesday 09 August 2005 15:44, Martin F. Hohenberg wrote:
    > On Tuesday 09 August 2005 15:26, serja wrote:
    > > [Transport 3]
    > > auth=true
    > > authtype=LOGIN

    > I use PLAIN

    Me too.

    > > encryption=TLS

    > SSL works fine with me

    TLS works for me.

    > > host=smtp.gmail.com
    > > localHostname=
    > > name=gmail
    > > pass=*my password*
    > > port=587

    > Albeigth this is stated as a possible port number, I have found myself
    > unavalible using this one. Try the 465

    587 works for me with TLS

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  5. Re: gmail in kmail

    Well, have tried every possible options, but still no success.

    > On Tuesday 09 August 2005 15:44, Martin F. Hohenberg wrote:
    > > On Tuesday 09 August 2005 15:26, serja wrote:
    > > > [Transport 3]
    > > > auth=true
    > > > authtype=LOGIN

    > > I use PLAIN

    > Me too.
    >
    > > > encryption=TLS

    > > SSL works fine with me

    > TLS works for me.
    >
    > > > host=smtp.gmail.com
    > > > localHostname=
    > > > name=gmail
    > > > pass=*my password*
    > > > port=587

    > > Albeigth this is stated as a possible port number, I have found myself
    > > unavalible using this one. Try the 465

    > 587 works for me with TLS
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Kevin

  6. Re: gmail in kmail

    I think g-mail is supposed to use port 995.

    On Tuesday 09 August 2005 11:28 am, serja wrote:
    > Well, have tried every possible options, but still no success.

  7. Re: gmail in kmail

    But as I understand 995 for POP3, but receiving work for me just fine, but
    SMTP just don't work

    > I think g-mail is supposed to use port 995.
    >
    > On Tuesday 09 August 2005 11:28 am, serja wrote:
    > > Well, have tried every possible options, but still no success.

  8. Re: gmail in kmail

    On Wednesday 10 August 2005 07:04, serja wrote:
    > But as I understand 995 for POP3, but receiving work for me just fine, but
    > SMTP just don't work

    Can you try to recreate the transport?

    Just use PLAIN and eitehr SSL or TLS and do not change the port, or maybe use
    the automatic detection.

    Also be sure that you have an empty outbox before doing that to make sure it
    isn't a problem with the pending mail.

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  9. Re: gmail in kmail

    So should I use the default values: 25 for SMTP and 110 for POP3?

    > On Wednesday 10 August 2005 07:04, serja wrote:
    > > But as I understand 995 for POP3, but receiving work for me just fine,
    > > but SMTP just don't work

    > Can you try to recreate the transport?
    >
    > Just use PLAIN and eitehr SSL or TLS and do not change the port, or maybe
    > use the automatic detection.
    >
    > Also be sure that you have an empty outbox before doing that to make sure
    > it isn't a problem with the pending mail.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Kevin

  10. Re: gmail in kmail

    On Wednesday 10 August 2005 09:19 am, serja wrote:
    > So should I use the default values: 25 for SMTP and 110 for POP3?

    I use Kmail for my Gmail account, and I've found that certain ISP's won't let
    you use a third party SMTP server. Try using your ISP's SMTP server, but
    keep your recommended Gmail POP3 settings. It should work then.

  11. Re: gmail in kmail

    I'll take break with gmail.
    SMTP even won't work with autodetection of server capabilities in Kmail.
    maybe it's really blocked by my ISP? Dunno. Probably gonna check in
    thunderbird.

    > On Wednesday 10 August 2005 09:19 am, serja wrote:
    > > So should I use the default values: 25 for SMTP and 110 for POP3?

    > I use Kmail for my Gmail account, and I've found that certain ISP's won't
    > let you use a third party SMTP server. Try using your ISP's SMTP server,
    > but keep your recommended Gmail POP3 settings. It should work then.

  12. Re: gmail in kmail

    Many ISPs block outgoing SMTP from sending out messages not containing
    a From: or Reply-To: with ISP's address.

    Which means you should be able to use gmail's smtp for sending
    messages with a FROM: you@gmail.com, and you should also be able to
    use your ISP's provider for sending out e-mails that have your ISP's
    address somewhere in the headers... But using one SMTP for the other's
    e-mail will often not work, and that could apply to Google's smtp
    server as well).

    On 8/10/05, Douglas Stanley Jr. wrote:
    > On Wednesday 10 August 2005 09:19 am, serja wrote:
    > > So should I use the default values: 25 for SMTP and 110 for POP3?

    > I use Kmail for my Gmail account, and I've found that certain ISP's won'tlet
    > you use a third party SMTP server. Try using your ISP's SMTP server, but
    > keep your recommended Gmail POP3 settings. It should work then.

  13. Re: gmail in kmail

    Well I've setup the firewall with guarddog, so probably it block the acess to
    the gmail SMTP protocols, since they use different ports than the normal
    SMTP. What do you think about it?

    > Many ISPs block outgoing SMTP from sending out messages not containing
    > a From: or Reply-To: with ISP's address.
    >
    > Which means you should be able to use gmail's smtp for sending
    > messages with a FROM: you@gmail.com, and you should also be able to
    > use your ISP's provider for sending out e-mails that have your ISP's
    > address somewhere in the headers... But using one SMTP for the other's
    > e-mail will often not work, and that could apply to Google's smtp
    > server as well).
    >
    > On 8/10/05, Douglas Stanley Jr. wrote:
    > > On Wednesday 10 August 2005 09:19 am, serja wrote:
    > > > So should I use the default values: 25 for SMTP and 110 for POP3?

    > > I use Kmail for my Gmail account, and I've found that certain ISP's won't
    > > let you use a third party SMTP server. Try using your ISP's SMTP server,
    > > but keep your recommended Gmail POP3 settings. It should work then.

+ Reply to Thread