Automounter in KDE - Debian

This is a discussion on Automounter in KDE - Debian ; In GNOME when I insert for example a CD in the CD-ROM drive a desktop icon appear at the desktop and the media is already mounted, but in KDE it doesn't work even when the kde's mountwatch daemon is active ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

  1. Automounter in KDE

    In GNOME when I insert for example a CD in the CD-ROM drive a desktop icon
    appear at the desktop and the media is already mounted, but in KDE it doesn't
    work even when the kde's mountwatch daemon is active and the devices icons
    are allowed at the desktop. I think something not right here, because for
    example in Mandrake it work just fine. Can it be fixed?
    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Automounter in KDE

    Am Sonntag, 7. August 2005 19:10 schrieb serja:
    > ... in KDE it doesn't work even when the kde's mountwatch daemon is active
    > and the devices icons are allowed at the desktop. I think something not
    > right here, because for example in Mandrake it work just fine.

    Works fine for me on Sarge with the alioth-Packages. What kernel do you use?

  3. Re: Automounter in KDE

    kernel 2.6.8 (official from Sarge) and KDE 3.3.2 from Sarge too.

    > Am Sonntag, 7. August 2005 19:10 schrieb serja:
    > > ... in KDE it doesn't work even when the kde's mountwatch daemon is
    > > active and the devices icons are allowed at the desktop. I think
    > > something not right here, because for example in Mandrake it work just
    > > fine.

    > Works fine for me on Sarge with the alioth-Packages. What kernel do you
    > use?

  4. Re: Automounter in KDE

    On Sunday 07 August 2005 20:05, Martin F. Hohenberg wrote:
    > Am Sonntag, 7. August 2005 19:10 schrieb serja:
    > Works fine for me on Sarge with the alioth-Packages. What kernel do you
    > use?

    Tell me if i'm wrong, but afaik KDE doesn't mount the media automatically. It
    just offers a button in the media:/-ioslave to mount it.
    Or is the behaviour configurable?

    Regards
    Roman

    --
    (2b) || !(2b)

  5. Re: Automounter in KDE

    I doubt it configurable through gui in kde, because kde don't have any options
    to configure it with the exception that when you enable the device's icons at
    your desktop it should display a mounted cd-rom's, etc. icons at the desktop
    and in most distributions I've used before it worked - after inserting an CD
    it was automatically mounted. Because if gnome has this feature I doubt that
    kde hasn't it. But the question is how to make it work.

    > On Sunday 07 August 2005 20:05, Martin F. Hohenberg wrote:
    > > Am Sonntag, 7. August 2005 19:10 schrieb serja:
    > > Works fine for me on Sarge with the alioth-Packages. What kernel do you
    > > use?

    > Tell me if i'm wrong, but afaik KDE doesn't mount the media automatically.
    > It just offers a button in the media:/-ioslave to mount it.
    > Or is the behaviour configurable?
    >
    > Regards
    > Roman
    >
    > --
    > (2b) || !(2b)

  6. Re: Automounter in KDE

    On Monday 08 August 2005 07:19, serja wrote:
    > I doubt it configurable through gui in kde, because kde don't have any
    > options to configure it with the exception that when you enable the
    > device's icons at your desktop it should display a mounted cd-rom's, etc.
    > icons at the desktop and in most distributions I've used before it worked -
    > after inserting an CD it was automatically mounted. Because if gnome has
    > this feature I doubt that kde hasn't it. But the question is how to make it
    > work.

    afaik KDE _IS_ really missing it. For KDE-Applications it doesn't really
    matter. If they access media:/cdrom for example, it's getting mounted
    automatically by KDE. But "normal" apps, like OpenOffice.org, which don't use
    KDE-IOSlaves but access /media/cdrom, won't see anything until you mounted it
    manually.
    KDE 3.4 now has the ability to show devices in media:/ which are just inserted
    (USB-Sticks, i guess also Firewire-Devices), but it still doesn't mount them
    automatically.

    When i first saw gnome-volume-manager, i wrote a python-script which does the
    job. But since i had to import the whole gtk-thing just to get the mainloop
    (which is needed, if you want to use dbus) i gave the whole thing up. The
    initial version is still working fine on 2 of my machines, but it lacks many
    functions such as a GUI or umounting by mouseclick.

    If anyone is interested in creating an automounter based on hal, dbus and
    pmount, which isn't depending on KDE, Gnome or any other WM (or X11 at all!),
    please contact me, i'd really like to contribute. Doing the job totally by
    myself is not possible, since i still lack real programming-skills.

    Regards
    Roman
    --
    Why do geeks get Halloween and Christmas confused?
    Because 31 oct == 25 dec

  7. Re: Automounter in KDE

    On Monday 08 August 2005 13:19, Roman Kreisel wrote:
    > On Monday 08 August 2005 07:19, serja wrote:
    > > I doubt it configurable through gui in kde, because kde don't have any
    > > options to configure it with the exception that when you enable the
    > > device's icons at your desktop it should display a mounted cd-rom's, etc.
    > > icons at the desktop and in most distributions I've used before it worked
    > > - after inserting an CD it was automatically mounted. Because if gnome
    > > has this feature I doubt that kde hasn't it. But the question is how to
    > > make it work.

    > afaik KDE _IS_ really missing it. For KDE-Applications it doesn't really
    > matter. If they access media:/cdrom for example, it's getting mounted
    > automatically by KDE. But "normal" apps, like OpenOffice.org, which don't
    > use KDE-IOSlaves but access /media/cdrom, won't see anything until you
    > mounted it manually.

    Hmm.. I think the kernel automounter should be able to handle this..

    Anyway, for me the biggest issue in all this has always been that you couldn't
    eject a cdrom with the eject button on the drive once the device was mounted.

    The system should be able to unmount the device regardsless of which resources
    are using it when you press the eject button. You know best if you want the
    disk out or not, the system shouldn't restrict you in doing this.

    Same thing with usb storage. The system should auto-unmount the device if you
    unplug it.

    Anders

    --
    - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.1 - KMail 1.8.1 -

  8. Re: Automounter in KDE

    > Hmm.. I think the kernel automounter should be able to handle this..
    But the supermount kernel module can't start the required applications like
    how it work in GNOME (insert audio-cd and the gnome-cd is launched, dvd -
    totem). And in gnome it definitely done without kernel-modules and in
    Mandrake's kde too. And for example Mandrake don't even use supermount for
    cdroms, only for floppy.
    > Anyway, for me the biggest issue in all this has always been that you
    > couldn't eject a cdrom with the eject button on the drive once the device
    > was mounted.

    Put the following line in your /etc/sysctl.conf
    dev.cdrom.lock=0
    and the door won't be blocked anymore, but if you remove the cd when some
    filemanagers or other applications read it, those applications will still
    think that the cdrom is mounted and finally you'll need to restart X or even
    the whole system to get your cdrom work again.
    > The system should be able to unmount the device regardsless of which
    > resources are using it when you press the eject button. You know best if
    > you want the disk out or not, the system shouldn't restrict you in doing
    > this.

    Of course all this cdrom and other media mounting/umounting is still far from
    being perfect. And in long time terms it can't be explained with multiuser OS
    theory.
    > On Monday 08 August 2005 13:19, Roman Kreisel wrote:
    > > On Monday 08 August 2005 07:19, serja wrote:
    > > > I doubt it configurable through gui in kde, because kde don't have any
    > > > options to configure it with the exception that when you enable the
    > > > device's icons at your desktop it should display a mounted cd-rom's,
    > > > etc. icons at the desktop and in most distributions I've used before it
    > > > worked - after inserting an CD it was automatically mounted. Because if
    > > > gnome has this feature I doubt that kde hasn't it. But the question is
    > > > how to make it work.

    > > afaik KDE _IS_ really missing it. For KDE-Applications it doesn't really
    > > matter. If they access media:/cdrom for example, it's getting mounted
    > > automatically by KDE. But "normal" apps, like OpenOffice.org, which don't
    > > use KDE-IOSlaves but access /media/cdrom, won't see anything until you
    > > mounted it manually.

    > Hmm.. I think the kernel automounter should be able to handle this..
    >
    > Anyway, for me the biggest issue in all this has always been that you
    > couldn't eject a cdrom with the eject button on the drive once the device
    > was mounted.
    >
    > The system should be able to unmount the device regardsless of which
    > resources are using it when you press the eject button. You know best if
    > you want the disk out or not, the system shouldn't restrict you in doing
    > this.
    >
    > Same thing with usb storage. The system should auto-unmount the device if
    > you unplug it.
    >
    > Anders
    >
    > --
    > - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.1 - KMail 1.8.1 -

  9. Re: Automounter in KDE

    A Dilluns 08 Agost 2005 15:20, serja va escriure:

    Another option is to use ivman, on http://ivman.sourceforge.net/, which is a
    HAL frontend that can automatically mount devices and start some programs
    when you insert a dvd or and audiocd, etc.

    Josep

  10. Re: Automounter in KDE

    Thanks. And is there a deb package?

    > A Dilluns 08 Agost 2005 15:20, serja va escriure:
    >
    > Another option is to use ivman, on http://ivman.sourceforge.net/, which is
    > a HAL frontend that can automatically mount devices and start some programs
    > when you insert a dvd or and audiocd, etc.
    >
    > Josep

  11. Re: Automounter in KDE

    On Monday 08 August 2005 14:59, Anders Ellenshj Andersen wrote:
    > Hmm.. I think the kernel automounter should be able to handle this..

    Which one? There several, i tested some of them and none of them fitted my
    needs.

    > Anyway, for me the biggest issue in all this has always been that you
    > couldn't eject a cdrom with the eject button on the drive once the device
    > was mounted.

    /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/lock
    But remember you're brutally removing the Disc. You don't know how the
    applications will behave, which still access the disc. It might even possible
    (i'm not sure right now), that the disc remains mounted.

    > The system should be able to unmount the device regardsless of which
    > resources are using it when you press the eject button. You know best if
    > you want the disk out or not, the system shouldn't restrict you in doing
    > this.

    I think this choice shouldn't be made by you or by me, but by every single
    user. And i think locking the drives by default is ok.

    > Same thing with usb storage. The system should auto-unmount the device if
    > you unplug it.

    And how's that supposed to work? Once you removed the stick it's already away.
    Your computer cannot finish pending operations like clearing it's buffers.
    You HAVE to umount it before removing. Even on other Systems that's the way
    to go.

    Well, you could mount the drive in sync-mode (beginning with 2.6.12 it should
    also work with FAT. But remember we're talking about flash-drives. They only
    can be flashed limited times. If you use sync, every operation will
    immediatley trigger writing the data to the usb-stick. Your USB-Stick might
    become unusable much earlier.

    > Anders

    Regards
    Roman

    --
    The next statement is not true.
    The previous statement is true.

  12. Re: Automounter in KDE

    I've downloaded the tarball and installed it. First result of testing: very
    impressive. Thanks for the tip.
    I have one question: I want link ivman executable to my .kde/Autostart. If I
    restart KDE is ivman will be killed when exiting KDE to avoid loading one
    more ivman when I start KDE for the next time?

    > A Dilluns 08 Agost 2005 15:20, serja va escriure:
    >
    > Another option is to use ivman, on http://ivman.sourceforge.net/, which is
    > a HAL frontend that can automatically mount devices and start some programs
    > when you insert a dvd or and audiocd, etc.
    >
    > Josep

  13. Re: Automounter in KDE

    Roman Kreisel wrote:
    > afaik KDE _IS_ really missing it. For KDE-Applications it doesn't really
    > matter. If they access media:/cdrom for example, it's getting mounted
    > automatically by KDE. But "normal" apps, like OpenOffice.org, which don't
    > use KDE-IOSlaves but access /media/cdrom, won't see anything until you
    > mounted it manually.

    Chmm, are you sure that KDE-Application are all-happy? Can anybody explain
    me, how to connect digikam to media:/usbdrive (or whatever is the correct
    name)? I really hate mounting and unmounting /mnt/kamera...

    Best,

    Matej

    A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of
    thinking.

  14. Re: Automounter in KDE

    I'm finding this discussion somwhat frustrating because no one seems to be
    able to say clearly what KDE can or can't do. I also find it strange that
    this doesn't "just work" since it is somthing that just about every desktop
    user needs to do every day. Here are some observations Ive made:

    Kanotix mounts and places links to USB devices on the KDE desktop just as one
    would expect, so it is possible (why shouldn't it be?). When the device is
    removed the link dissapears from the desktop. I don't know what packages or
    scripts or whatever are used to achieve this.

    I also noticed that on my Sarge system with KDE 3.4.1 I can add the applet
    "Storage Media" to my Panel. When I insert a cdrom it appears as an Icon in
    the Panel. I can open the cdrom in a Konqueror window or eject it (this works
    contraty to what another poster says). I have the following line in my
    fstab:

    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0

    I run usbmount so I don't have any sdxx entries in fstab. I run fstab becaue
    I gave up on trying to create an fstab entry for every possible combination
    of partition and device that I encounter. When I plug in a USB device one or
    two USB Icons are place in Panel by "Storage Media". I can open the device
    in a Konqueror window, but if I try to "Safely Remove" the device I get some
    error about no line being present in fstab for the device. I have a link to
    sync on my desktop so that I can unplug the devices safely (recommended in
    the mountusb documentation). I`d kind of like the USB devices to work like
    the CDROM does i.e. with a remove feature that works.

    Regds,

    Chris

    --
    C. Hurschler

  15. Re: Automounter in KDE

    > I'm finding this discussion somwhat frustrating because no one seems to be
    > able to say clearly what KDE can or can't do.

    It's probably because KDE has too many configurable options and relatively
    often with some of them it's not clear what they actually do, how they should
    work and how they should be setup. Some things work in one distribution but
    not work in another one, or sometimes they work and sometimes just stop
    working and therefore it is very hard to understand is it bug in one
    distribution or just an improovement in another one. However for example
    GNOME gives nearly the same everywhere (of course it doesn't mean that it's
    better than KDE). Maybe it fixed in KDE 3.4.X, but in KDE 3.3.2. there is a
    bug (you can find it at the KDE'S bug tracking system) which block the eject
    of CD's and the only way to do that is login as root and do eject as root, or
    disable doorlocking in sysconfig files.

> [...]

    > > > doing this.

    > > I think this choice shouldn't be made by you or by me, but by every
    > > single user. And i think locking the drives by default is ok.
    > >
    > > > Same thing with usb storage. The system should auto-unmount the device
    > > > if you unplug it.

    > > And how's that supposed to work? Once you removed the stick it's already
    > > away. Your computer cannot finish pending operations like clearing it's
    > > buffers. You HAVE to umount it before removing. Even on other Systems
    > > that's the way to go.
    > >
    > > Well, you could mount the drive in sync-mode (beginning with 2.6.12 it
    > > should also work with FAT. But remember we're talking about flash-drives.
    > > They only can be flashed limited times. If you use sync, every operation
    > > will immediatley trigger writing the data to the usb-stick. Your
    > > USB-Stick might become unusable much earlier.

  16. Re: Automounter in KDE

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 04:51, C. Hurschler wrote:
    > Kanotix mounts and places links to USB devices on the KDE desktop
    > just as one would expect, so it is possible (why shouldn't it be?).
    > When the device is removed the link dissapears from the desktop. I
    > don't know what packages or scripts or whatever are used to achieve
    > this.

    This, apparently:

    http://wiki.kanotix.net/CoMa.php?CoMa=usb-storage

    Note the comment:

    The script mounts every (useful) partition of your device and
    creates icons on your KDE desktop. If you pull the stick (or
    camera) the device is unmounted with "umount -l" ("lazy", because
    the device is already pulled) and the icon disappears.

    *Don't forget to do a sync before (or right mouseclick on the icon
    -> action -> save changes)!*

    I wonder how well-documented that is in the Kanotix distribution,
    because I saw several posts on the Kanotix forums:

    http://forum.kanotix.net/

    which appeared to be result of users being unaware of their hardware's
    missing telepathy circuitry.

    A couple of posters here too seem to be overlooking that simple fact
    that you can *never* get the advantages of buffered I/O (speed and
    extended hardware life) *and* expect the convenience of yanking
    rw-enabled drives out at your leisure without potentially incurring
    data loss. That's why working with floppy disks is generally somewhat
    faster under most Linux distributions than under MS Windows, but
    requiring manual unmounting.

    --
    Alex Nordstrom
    http://lx.n3.net/

  17. Re: Automounter in KDE

    > > Kanotix
    what kanotix is?

    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 04:51, C. Hurschler wrote:
    > > Kanotix mounts and places links to USB devices on the KDE desktop
    > > just as one would expect, so it is possible (why shouldn't it be?).
    > > When the device is removed the link dissapears from the desktop. I
    > > don't know what packages or scripts or whatever are used to achieve
    > > this.

    > This, apparently:
    >
    > http://wiki.kanotix.net/CoMa.php?CoMa=usb-storage
    >
    > Note the comment:
    >
    > The script mounts every (useful) partition of your device and
    > creates icons on your KDE desktop. If you pull the stick (or
    > camera) the device is unmounted with "umount -l" ("lazy", because
    > the device is already pulled) and the icon disappears.
    >
    > *Don't forget to do a sync before (or right mouseclick on the icon
    > -> action -> save changes)!*
    >
    > I wonder how well-documented that is in the Kanotix distribution,
    > because I saw several posts on the Kanotix forums:
    >
    > http://forum.kanotix.net/
    >
    > which appeared to be result of users being unaware of their hardware's
    > missing telepathy circuitry.
    >
    > A couple of posters here too seem to be overlooking that simple fact
    > that you can *never* get the advantages of buffered I/O (speed and
    > extended hardware life) *and* expect the convenience of yanking
    > rw-enabled drives out at your leisure without potentially incurring
    > data loss. That's why working with floppy disks is generally somewhat
    > faster under most Linux distributions than under MS Windows, but
    > requiring manual unmounting.

  18. Re: Automounter in KDE

    Hi,
    serja a écrit :
    >>>Kanotix

    > what kanotix is?

    Kanotix is a Knoppix's sister

    Jody

  19. Re: Automounter in KDE

    Thanks.
    Because first I thought this is a kind of automounter tool

    > I'm finding this discussion somwhat frustrating because no one seems to
    > be
    > able to say clearly what KDE can or can't do. I also find it strange that
    > this doesn't "just work" since it is somthing that just about every
    > desktop
    > user needs to do every day.

    Half of the problem is that, for most of us, it _does_ just work. I want to
    write a CD, I start up K3b, I write to it. I want to read it, I put a CD
    in there and click on the desktop icon that just appeared - the appropriate
    music or data applications will start. I want to access a USB drive - I
    plug it in and click on the icon that appears on my desktop.

    I don't _know_ what KDE can or cannot do, so I haven't taken part in this
    discussion, but I _do_ know that everything gets mounted as needed, when
    needed.
    --
    derek

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast