trash - Debian

This is a discussion on trash - Debian ; Hi My desktop is xfce4 but I like to use konqueror as my main file manager. When I delete a file in konqueror, the files are actually moved to trash:/ Now I am not using kde as a desktop, so ...

  1. trash

    Hi
    My desktop is xfce4 but I like to use konqueror as my main file
    manager. When I delete a file in konqueror, the files are actually
    moved to trash:/ Now I am not using kde as a desktop, so I find it
    difficult to empty the trash can.
    can I empty trash can from a terminal? Can I use xffm to delete kde
    trash:/ ? Which directory is trash:/ stored in? xftrash4 seems to be
    a different trash can.
    thanks
    jj6419

  2. Re: trash

    El Viernes, 5 de Agosto de 2005 19:49, j j escribió:
    > can I empty trash can from a terminal? *Can I use xffm to delete kde
    > trash:/ ? *Which directory is trash:/ stored in? *xftrash4 seems to be
    > a different trash can.

    KDE's trash, follows the Free Desktop trash specification:

    http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html

    In short, the files are under ~/.local/share/Trash, but be careful. There are
    the files themselves, and the metainformation, so delete both.

    --
    Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
    http://darkshines.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net

  3. Re: trash

    On Friday 05 August 2005 19:49, j j wrote:

    > can I empty trash can from a terminal? Can I use xffm to delete kde

    I think there is a commandline tool called ktrash.

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  4. Re: trash

    thanks. that was very helpful.

    On 8/5/05, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
    > El Viernes, 5 de Agosto de 2005 19:49, j j escribió:
    > > can I empty trash can from a terminal? Can I use xffm to delete kde
    > > trash:/ ? Which directory is trash:/ stored in? xftrash4 seems to be
    > > a different trash can.

    > KDE's trash, follows the Free Desktop trash specification:
    >
    > http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html
    >
    > In short, the files are under ~/.local/share/Trash, but be careful. Thereare
    > the files themselves, and the metainformation, so delete both.
    >
    > --
    > Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
    > http://darkshines.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net

  5. Re: trash

    Please don't exclude the list in your reply-to line. Cross-posting is
    also generally discouraged. Replying to debian-kde (since that's how I
    got it) and you (since you requested it).

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 01:49, j j wrote:
    > My desktop is xfce4 but I like to use konqueror as my main file
    > manager. When I delete a file in konqueror, the files are actually
    > moved to trash:/ Now I am not using kde as a desktop, so I find it
    > difficult to empty the trash can.

    Under Settings->Configure Konqueror->Behaviour, there is an option to
    "Show 'Delete' menu entries which bypass the trashcan".

    It might be convenient to also go to Settings->Configure shortcuts to
    assign the Delete key as a shortcut for the Delete action.

    --
    Alex Nordstrom
    http://lx.n3.net/

  6. Re: trash

    Hi!
    I've kde running and here the setting is in
    ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals

    $ grep "Trash" /home/ulrich/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals
    Trash=$HOME/Desktop/Trash/

    hth
    Ulrich