Re: Cups+printer install? - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Cups+printer install? - Debian ; > > >On 08/03/2005 08:02 pm, Ishwar Rattan wrote: > > >>> Is there a way to install a printer using cups without >>> a browser (no capability for http://localhost:631/)? >>> >>> I want to access remote printers alos on ...

  1. Re: Cups+printer install?

    >On 08/03/2005 08:02 pm, Ishwar Rattan wrote:
    >

    >>> Is there a way to install a printer using cups without
    >>> a browser (no capability for http://localhost:631/)?
    >>>
    >>> I want to access remote printers alos on a cups server in
    >>> the dept but have no interest in installing X-windows.

    Pollywog replied:

    >Are you using KDE? If so, I believe you can use the KDE Control Center (under
    >Peripheral Devices > Printers). You should also be able to edit the files
    >in /etc/cups/ directly to add a printer. I rarely use a browser for it now,
    >I most often use KDE (on Xandros). I have one laptop running Debian Sarge
    >and I am almost sure that KDE has a wizard for adding printers (in the
    >Control Center of KDE).
    >

    >8)

    The Add Printer option in the KDE Control Center activates a printer
    wizard. I found it more
    intuitively easy to use than the http://localhost:631/ option in the
    browser. Now I haven't used it to
    install a remote printer. The Debian KDE list might also have some good
    suggestions for you.

    --
    (Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless, http://counter.li.org/, No. 365760.
    Linux Gcomm 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 GNU/Linux

  2. Re: Cups+printer install?

    Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:

    > Pollywog replied:
    >
    >>Are you using KDE? If so, I believe you can use the KDE Control Center
    >>

    > The Add Printer option in the KDE Control Center activates a printer
    > wizard. I found it more
    > intuitively easy to use than the http://localhost:631/ option in the
    > browser.

    I have two problems with this thread: first, why did he post to debian-kde
    when he says he doesn't want to install X?; second, why are we giving him
    advice to use the KDE control center???

    Ishwar;
    this question has nothing to do with debian-kde - but you don't need X to
    use a browser. Use lynx or any other text browser.
    --
    derek

  3. Re: Cups+printer install?

    On Thursday 04 August 2005 11:27 am, Derek Broughton wrote:

    > I have two problems with this thread: first, why did he post to debian-kde
    > when he says he doesn't want to install X?; second, why are we giving him
    > advice to use the KDE control center???

    It looks like the original exchange happened on debian-user, and then someone
    said "you might want to ask debian-kde" and then tacked debian-kde on as a
    CC.

    Either that or I'm missing posts. My first message in this thread is a reply.

    And while we're on this topic anyway, I've found that I *don't* actually like
    the KDE printer installer wizard flummy. I can't quite remember specific
    details about what it couldn't do with it, but it was missing some critical
    piece to getting an HP inkjet to work on an Ubuntu system. Ubuntu's CUPS web
    interface is hacked because they deem it too dangerous. I didn't manage to
    get where I needed to be with either the KDE configurator or the suggested
    GNOME configurator, so I had to spend an afternoon de-hacking the CUPS thing
    so I could spend twelve and a half seconds configuring the bliffin' printer
    already. That's why this is sticking in my memory.

    --
    Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
    http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

  4. Re: Cups+printer install?

    Silvan wrote:

    > On Thursday 04 August 2005 11:27 am, Derek Broughton wrote:

    > And while we're on this topic anyway, I've found that I *don't* actually
    > like
    > the KDE printer installer wizard flummy. I can't quite remember specific
    > details about what it couldn't do with it, but it was missing some
    > critical
    > piece to getting an HP inkjet to work on an Ubuntu system.

    I couldn't manage to talk to my Epson inkjet from Ubuntu, either - told me I
    didn't have the authority to install a driver (even though it was running
    under kdesu).
    --
    derek