AOL for Debian - Debian

This is a discussion on AOL for Debian - Debian ; Hi there, I hope I am asking in the right e-mail group. I know of the program GAIM but I am wanting to download the official AOL Instant Messenger for Debian. When I try and do this, I get a ...

  1. AOL for Debian

    Hi there,

    I hope I am asking in the right e-mail group. I know of the program
    GAIM but I am wanting to download the official AOL Instant Messenger for
    Debian. When I try and do this, I get a bunch of garbage on the screen,
    so I figure I do a "Save Page As..." and I type in the filename. Well,
    I then do a "dpkg -i " and it says since it was saved as
    ASCII I can't do anything with it, because it doesn't think it is a
    binary. I then followed the instructions on AOL's website saying to
    right click it and save it that way, well when I do that it comes up
    with the file jasper.jsp or something like that.

    How can I get this then?

    Thanks..

  2. Re: AOL for Debian

    You can't get the AOL Instant Messenger for Debian.
    Debian is a Linux Distribution, Windows binaries won't work.

    Am Mittwoch, 3. August 2005 18:14 schrieb Richard Wegner:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I hope I am asking in the right e-mail group. I know of the program
    > GAIM but I am wanting to download the official AOL Instant Messenger for
    > Debian. When I try and do this, I get a bunch of garbage on the screen,
    > so I figure I do a "Save Page As..." and I type in the filename. Well,
    > I then do a "dpkg -i " and it says since it was saved as
    > ASCII I can't do anything with it, because it doesn't think it is a
    > binary. I then followed the instructions on AOL's website saying to
    > right click it and save it that way, well when I do that it comes up
    > with the file jasper.jsp or something like that.
    >
    > How can I get this then?
    >
    > Thanks..

  3. Re: AOL for Debian

    Oh, excuse my quick answer. I checked the web and found AIM for Linux.

    You could use this link to download the Debian package:
    http://channels.netscape.com/wrap/li...286-2_i386.deb

    Am Mittwoch, 3. August 2005 18:50 schrieb Olaf:
    > You can't get the AOL Instant Messenger for Debian.
    > Debian is a Linux Distribution, Windows binaries won't work.
    >
    > Am Mittwoch, 3. August 2005 18:14 schrieb Richard Wegner:
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I hope I am asking in the right e-mail group. I know of the program
    > > GAIM but I am wanting to download the official AOL Instant Messenger for
    > > Debian. When I try and do this, I get a bunch of garbage on the screen,
    > > so I figure I do a "Save Page As..." and I type in the filename. Well,
    > > I then do a "dpkg -i " and it says since it was saved as
    > > ASCII I can't do anything with it, because it doesn't think it is a
    > > binary. I then followed the instructions on AOL's website saying to
    > > right click it and save it that way, well when I do that it comes up
    > > with the file jasper.jsp or something like that.
    > >
    > > How can I get this then?
    > >
    > > Thanks..

  4. Re: AOL for Debian

    On Wednesday 03 August 2005 11:50 am, Olaf wrote:
    > You can't get the AOL Instant Messenger for Debian.

    Actually, you can. There IS an offical AOL IM client for linux:

    http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp=

    There are even Debian-specific installation instructions.

  5. Re: AOL for Debian

    Douglas Stanley Jr. wrote:

    >On Wednesday 03 August 2005 11:50 am, Olaf wrote:
    >

    >>You can't get the AOL Instant Messenger for Debian.
    >>

    >Actually, you can. There IS an offical AOL IM client for linux:
    >
    >http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp=
    >
    >There are even Debian-specific installation instructions.

    I did that and that is how I got into the situation I was in. I tried to

    1) Click the deb for Debian 3 or higher
    2) Garbage came up on the screen
    3) Did Save Page As... and saved it
    4) Did (as root) dpkg -i
    5) Got errors stating it was not a binary package so it wouldn't work.

    Then I did what it also suggested if I had problems by right clicking it
    and came up with a file linker.js NOT the .deb file as I thought I would
    get.

    Thanks