half duplex - Debian

This is a discussion on half duplex - Debian ; Hello list, I am running debian unstable version on my laptop, for some reason, the eth0 is running under half duplex. The interface does come up and I do have internet access, I am just wondering if there is a ...

  1. half duplex

    Hello list,

    I am running debian unstable version on my laptop, for some reason, the
    eth0 is running under half duplex. The interface does come up and I do
    have internet access, I am just wondering if there is a way I can make
    it working under full duplex. Can anyone help?

    Thanks a lot

    Larinia

  2. Re: half duplex

    larinia wrote:

    > Hello list,
    >
    > I am running debian unstable version on my laptop, for some reason,
    > the eth0 is running under half duplex. The interface does come up and
    > I do have internet access, I am just wondering if there is a way I can
    > make it working under full duplex. Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >
    > Larinia

    Hello.
    How do you know you're running at half duplex?
    What's the other end of your cat-5 cable connected to?

  3. Re: half duplex

    Hello,

    I saw the half duplex message in the /var/log/syslog. I am not sure if
    the cat-5 cable is the network cable(Sorry, I am a newbie), if it is,
    then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless bridge.

    Doofus wrote:

    > larinia wrote:
    >
    >> Hello list,
    >>
    >> I am running debian unstable version on my laptop, for some reason,
    >> the eth0 is running under half duplex. The interface does come up and
    >> I do have internet access, I am just wondering if there is a way I
    >> can make it working under full duplex. Can anyone help?
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot
    >>
    >> Larinia

    > Hello.
    > How do you know you're running at half duplex?
    > What's the other end of your cat-5 cable connected to?

  4. Re: half duplex

    Am Freitag, 29. Juli 2005 12.51 schrieb larinia:
    > then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless bridge

    If the other device really is a hub, then half-duplex is the best you'll get.
    Only switches can do full duplex...

    Patrick

  5. Re: half duplex

    2005 m. Liepos 29 d., Penktadienis 13:51, larinia raðë:
    > I saw the half duplex message in the /var/log/syslog. I am not sure if
    > the cat-5 cable is the network cable(Sorry, I am a newbie), if it is,
    > then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless bridge.

    If the other end is a hub, it may not be capable of doing full-dupex, so both
    ends autonegiotiated the half-duplex mode (both ends must run in the same
    (either full or half) duplex). AFAIK, linux defaults to full-duplex whether
    possible. Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with half-duplex, it's just
    the way signals are sent over a wire. You don't need to worry about this.

  6. Re: half duplex

    larinia:
    > I saw the half duplex message in the /var/log/syslog. I am not sure if
    > the cat-5 cable is the network cable(Sorry, I am a newbie), if it is,

    It is.

    > then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless
    > bridge.

    That's the point. A hub can only give you a half duplex connection as
    opposed to a switch. For an explanation see [1]. But it should not matter
    in your setup cause the wireless bridge will be the bottleneck anyway.

    [1] i.e. http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm

  7. Re: half duplex

    On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:51:23AM +0100, larinia wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I saw the half duplex message in the /var/log/syslog. I am not sure if
    > the cat-5 cable is the network cable(Sorry, I am a newbie), if it is,
    > then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless bridge.

    Run "mii-tool -v" and see what it says. It doesn't work on all network
    adaptors, I'm especially unsure about the embedded type you get in
    laptops.

    But if it works, the "link partner" line will tell you whether the
    hub can do full-duplex, and if you paste the output here we can see if
    there's anything wrong.

    Please either keep debian-kde in or CC me directly, thank you
    Nick

  8. Re: half duplex

    On 08:57 Fri 29 Jul , larinia wrote:
    > Hello list,
    >
    > I am running debian unstable version on my laptop, for some reason, the
    > eth0 is running under half duplex. The interface does come up and I do
    > have internet access, I am just wondering if there is a way I can make
    > it working under full duplex. Can anyone help?

    The simple way to know whether you are using half-duplex or not is run:

    ethtool

    you can use it to change NIC's mode.

    I deliberately changed mine into half-duplex/10M because if it is
    100M/duplex, the connection is very slow with my pppoe link.

    Don't worry too much if you are using a 10M network anyway.

    regards

    bxuef

    --
    dhammapada says:

    Who will master this world and the world of Death with its devas? Who
    will gather well taught aphorisms (dhammapadas), like an connoisseur
    picking a flower? 44

    A disciple will master this world and the world of Death with its devas.
    A disciple will gather well taught aphorisms (dhammapadas), like a
    connoisseur picking a flower. 45

  9. Re: half duplex

    ehm, thank you all very much, I will try to connect my laptop directly
    with the modem and see if there is any difference.

    Does half duplex make the network traffic slower?

    Dietz Proepper wrote:

    >larinia:
    >

    >>I saw the half duplex message in the /var/log/syslog. I am not sure if
    >>the cat-5 cable is the network cable(Sorry, I am a newbie), if it is,
    >>

    >It is.
    >

    >>then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless
    >>bridge.
    >>

    >That's the point. A hub can only give you a half duplex connection as
    >opposed to a switch. For an explanation see [1]. But it should not matter
    >in your setup cause the wireless bridge will be the bottleneck anyway.
    >
    >[1] i.e. http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm

  10. Re: half duplex

    larinia wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I saw the half duplex message in the /var/log/syslog. I am not sure if
    > the cat-5 cable is the network cable(Sorry, I am a newbie), if it is,
    > then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless
    > bridge.
    >
    > Doofus wrote:
    >
    >> larinia wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello list,
    >>>
    >>> I am running debian unstable version on my laptop, for some reason,
    >>> the eth0 is running under half duplex. The interface does come up
    >>> and I do have internet access, I am just wondering if there is a way
    >>> I can make it working under full duplex. Can anyone help?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a lot
    >>>
    >>> Larinia

    >> Hello.
    >> How do you know you're running at half duplex?
    >> What's the other end of your cat-5 cable connected to?

    Tell us the make and model of your hub and maybe we can quickly find out
    if it'll talk duplex. Generally speaking you need a proper ethernet switch.

    There are quite a few instances of some switch gear being incompatible
    with some network interfaces when relying on Auto N-way. Cisco and Sun
    HappyMeals probably the best example. In these cases you need to have
    only one of the two running auto-negotiation and the other hard set to
    run 100MB/FD.

  11. Re: half duplex

    OoO Peu avant le début de l'après-midi du vendredi 29 juillet 2005,
    vers 13:46, Nick Leverton disait:

    >> I saw the half duplex message in the /var/log/syslog. I am not sure if
    >> the cat-5 cable is the network cable(Sorry, I am a newbie), if it is,
    >> then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless bridge.

    > Run "mii-tool -v" and see what it says. It doesn't work on all network
    > adaptors, I'm especially unsure about the embedded type you get in
    > laptops.

    On adapters that don't work, ethtool may work.
    --
    Make input easy to prepare and output self-explanatory.

  12. Re: half duplex

    I have done "mii-tool -v", here is the outcome

    eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-HD, link ok
    product info: vendor 00:40:63, model 50 rev 8
    basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
    basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
    capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    advertising: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
    link partner: 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-HD

    I think the hub does support full duplex. It is netgear dual speed hub model
    DS104.

    On 7/29/05, Dietz Proepper wrote:

    > larinia:
    > > ehm, thank you all very much, I will try to connect my laptop directly
    > > with the modem and see if there is any difference.

    > You need another cable (or a rather intelligent nic or modem for this.
    >
    > > Does half duplex make the network traffic slower?

    > It does. But as I already said, this should not matter in your situation,
    > because that bridge (or modem or whatever) will be the bottleneck.
    > Therefore, simply leave it as it is.
    >

    > --

    Lei Angelina Yu

  13. Re: half duplex

    On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:13:41PM +0100, Lei Yu wrote:
    > I have done "mii-tool -v", here is the outcome

    *snips*
    > link partner: 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-HD
    >
    > I think the hub does support full duplex. It is netgear dual speed hub model
    > DS104.

    The hub is telling your eth0 that it doesn't - only half duplex (HD),
    at 100 Mbits or 10 Mbits. To find out if it actually does FD, you can
    try forcing full duplex temporarily with "mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth0".
    Watch the output from "ifconfig eth0" to see if the Errors or Collisions
    start going wild, which will indicate that the hub doesn't do full duplex.

    Having said that, Amazon have the manual online, linked in from
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...97617?v=glance
    and the Troubleshooting section says to ensure the conected PC is set
    to half dulpex, so it looks like the hub is only HD I'm afraid.

    Regrets,

    Nick

  14. Re: half duplex

    Thanks a lot for your help. :-)

    Nick Leverton wrote:

    >On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:13:41PM +0100, Lei Yu wrote:
    >

    >>I have done "mii-tool -v", here is the outcome
    >>

    > *snips*
    >

    >>link partner: 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-HD
    >>
    >>I think the hub does support full duplex. It is netgear dual speed hub model
    >>DS104.
    >>

    >The hub is telling your eth0 that it doesn't - only half duplex (HD),
    >at 100 Mbits or 10 Mbits. To find out if it actually does FD, you can
    >try forcing full duplex temporarily with "mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth0".
    >Watch the output from "ifconfig eth0" to see if the Errors or Collisions
    >start going wild, which will indicate that the hub doesn't do full duplex.
    >
    >Having said that, Amazon have the manual online, linked in from
    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...97617?v=glance
    >and the Troubleshooting section says to ensure the conected PC is set
    >to half dulpex, so it looks like the hub is only HD I'm afraid.
    >
    >Regrets,
    >
    >Nick

  15. Re: half duplex

    You:
    > On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:13:41PM +0100, Lei Yu wrote:
    > > I think the hub does support full duplex. It is netgear dual speed hub
    > > model DS104.

    > The hub is telling your eth0 that it doesn't - only half duplex (HD),
    > at 100 Mbits or 10 Mbits. To find out if it actually does FD, you can
    > try forcing full duplex temporarily with "mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD
    > eth0". Watch the output from "ifconfig eth0" to see if the Errors or
    > Collisions start going wild, which will indicate that the hub doesn't do
    > full duplex.

    Sorry to say this again - if it's a HUB it will never - never - never
    support FD. Hubs generally only support HD links due to their design.

    Switchs can and normally do support FD.

    But this does not matter normally, the slowdown is acceptable, at least for
    SOHO and smaller kinds of setups.

  16. Re: half duplex

    Lei Yu wrote:
    > I think the hub does support full duplex. It is netgear dual speed hub
    > model DS104.

    These "dual-speed" hubs are still hubs. They simply provide a single
    switch (bridge) between the 10Mbps and the 100Mbps segments. Essentially,
    it combines a 10Mbps hub and a 100Mbps hub into a single unit and then a
    switch circuit connects the two.

    So, being a hub (repeater), only half duplex is supported.

    jc

    --
    Jeff Coppock Systems Engineer
    Diggin' Debian Admin and User

  17. Re: half duplex

    On Tuesday 02 August 2005 01:45 pm, Jeff Coppock wrote:
    > Lei Yu wrote:
    > > I think the hub does support full duplex. It is netgear dual
    > > speed hub model DS104.

    > These "dual-speed" hubs are still hubs. They simply provide a
    > single switch (bridge) between the 10Mbps and the 100Mbps segments.
    > Essentially, it combines a 10Mbps hub and a 100Mbps hub into a
    > single unit and then a switch circuit connects the two.

    Aren't home-user oriented dual-speed ethernet devices typically
    implemented in the form of a switch?

  18. Re: half duplex

    Paul Johnson wrote:
    > On Tuesday 02 August 2005 01:45 pm, Jeff Coppock wrote:
    >
    >>Lei Yu wrote:
    >>
    >>>I think the hub does support full duplex. It is netgear dual
    >>>speed hub model DS104.

    >>These "dual-speed" hubs are still hubs. They simply provide a
    >>single switch (bridge) between the 10Mbps and the 100Mbps segments.
    >> Essentially, it combines a 10Mbps hub and a 100Mbps hub into a
    >>single unit and then a switch circuit connects the two.

    > Aren't home-user oriented dual-speed ethernet devices typically
    > implemented in the form of a switch?

    Not from what I see. But both are available, you're just gonna pay more
    for a "switch" than for a "hub" since there is more circuitry in the switch.

    If the dual-speed ethernet device says "hub", each unit has a built-in
    self-learning bridge which provides the communications link between the 10
    and 100 Mbps network devices. The intelligent bridge automatically manages
    network traffic such that 100 Mbps traffic does not unnecessarily crowd the
    10 Mbps network segment and 10 Mbps traffic does not crowd the 100 Mbps
    segment.

    If the dual-speed ethernet device says "switch", then each port is bridged
    individually, so each port supports both HD and FD.

    jc

    --
    Jeff Coppock Systems Engineer
    Diggin' Debian Admin and User

  19. Re: half duplex

    Thank you everyone, you've been great help to me!