libkcal files - Debian

This is a discussion on libkcal files - Debian ; I am writing a perl script to generate some kcal files. The file format is pretty strait forward. But I can't see UID's are determined. I tried generating a random 10 digit number, and appending .999. Then making sure no ...

  1. libkcal files

    I am writing a perl script to generate some kcal files. The file format
    is pretty strait forward. But I can't see UID's are determined. I
    tried generating a random 10 digit number, and appending .999. Then
    making sure no even with this id already exists. This seems to work, as
    kontact finds the events, and handles them no problem. But is this the
    right thing to do?

    Google nor KDE's website turn up much. Anyone know this info, or where I
    could get it? Currently I have a bunch of files that have names like this:
    libkcal-1096492922.692

    Thanks,

    ~

  2. Re: libkcal files

    On Wednesday 27 July 2005 14:38, Shea Martin wrote:
    > I am writing a perl script to generate some kcal files. The file format
    > is pretty strait forward. But I can't see UID's are determined. I
    > tried generating a random 10 digit number, and appending .999. Then
    > making sure no even with this id already exists. This seems to work, as
    > kontact finds the events, and handles them no problem. But is this the
    > right thing to do?

    You better ask on the kde-pim mailinglist, the KDE PIM development discussions
    happen there.

    Which means most of the PIM developers are subscribed there

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  3. Re: libkcal files

    Am Mittwoch, 27. Juli 2005 14:38 schrieb Shea Martin:
    > I am writing a perl script to generate some kcal files. The file format
    > is pretty strait forward.

    The file format is documented in RFCs 2425 and 2426.

    > But I can't see UID's are determined.

    See chapter 3.6.7 in RFC 2426
    For C and Perl: http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/
    This is also in Debian: libossp-uuid-perl
    But you can probably also use another method, there is no rule that applies to
    how to generate those.

    HS

  4. Re: libkcal files

    Am Mittwoch, 27. Juli 2005 15:10 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:
    > Am Mittwoch, 27. Juli 2005 14:38 schrieb Shea Martin:
    > > I am writing a perl script to generate some kcal files. The file format
    > > is pretty strait forward.

    > The file format is documented in RFCs 2425 and 2426.
    >
    > > But I can't see UID's are determined.

    > See chapter 3.6.7 in RFC 2426

    Ah, mixed up vCard and vCalendar again. However, both are versit style files,
    see:
    http://www.imc.org/pdi/

    > For C and Perl: http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/
    > This is also in Debian: libossp-uuid-perl
    > But you can probably also use another method, there is no rule that applies
    > to how to generate those.

    This one still applies

    HS

  5. Re: libkcal files

    Hendrik Sattler wrote:

    > Am Mittwoch, 27. Juli 2005 15:10 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:
    >> Am Mittwoch, 27. Juli 2005 14:38 schrieb Shea Martin:
    >> > I am writing a perl script to generate some kcal files. The file format
    >> > is pretty strait forward.

    >> The file format is documented in RFCs 2425 and 2426.
    >>
    >> > But I can't see UID's are determined.

    >> See chapter 3.6.7 in RFC 2426

    > Ah, mixed up vCard and vCalendar again. However, both are versit style
    > files, see:
    > http://www.imc.org/pdi/
    >
    >> For C and Perl: http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/
    >> This is also in Debian: libossp-uuid-perl
    >> But you can probably also use another method, there is no rule that
    >> applies to how to generate those.

    > This one still applies
    >
    > HS

    perfect, thanks