Gmail & Konqueror? - Debian

This is a discussion on Gmail & Konqueror? - Debian ; Why does Gmail continue to tell me: "If you wish a better Gmail experience, use a supported browser?" Thanks, Bob -- Your goose is cooked. (Your current chick is burned up too!) -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a ...

  1. Gmail & Konqueror?

    --
    Your goose is cooked.
    (Your current chick is burned up too!)

  2. Re: Gmail & Konqueror?

    On Monday 25 July 2005 04:32 pm, Robert Tilley wrote:
    > Why does Gmail continue to tell me: "If you wish a better Gmail experience,
    > use a supported browser?"

    I guess Google doesn't think Konq is worth supporting, that it's market share
    isn't high enough. Considering Google's roots, and the kind of people that
    work there, I'm a bit surprised at that.

  3. Re: Gmail & Konqueror?

    On Monday 25 July 2005 04:43 pm, Douglas Stanley Jr. wrote:
    > On Monday 25 July 2005 04:32 pm, Robert Tilley wrote:
    > > Why does Gmail continue to tell me: "If you wish a better Gmail
    > > experience, use a supported browser?"

    > I guess Google doesn't think Konq is worth supporting, that it's market
    > share isn't high enough. Considering Google's roots, and the kind of people
    > that work there, I'm a bit surprised at that.

    In Google's defense, I've not been able to get decent Ajax (XmlHttpRequest)
    working under Konqueror, either. I don't know any Ajax-using site that
    supports Konqueror. Mayhaps if Konqueror supported Mozilla-style
    XmlHttpRequest objects, it would support these new fangled features.

    --
    Larry Garfield AIM: LOLG42
    larry@garfieldtech.com ICQ: 6817012

    of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it." -- Thomas
    Jefferson

  4. Re: Gmail & Konqueror?

    On Tuesday 26 July 2005 00:13, Larry Garfield wrote:
    > On Monday 25 July 2005 04:43 pm, Douglas Stanley Jr. wrote:
    > > On Monday 25 July 2005 04:32 pm, Robert Tilley wrote:
    > > > Why does Gmail continue to tell me: "If you wish a better Gmail
    > > > experience, use a supported browser?"

    > > I guess Google doesn't think Konq is worth supporting, that it's market
    > > share isn't high enough. Considering Google's roots, and the kind of
    > > people that work there, I'm a bit surprised at that.

    > In Google's defense, I've not been able to get decent Ajax (XmlHttpRequest)
    > working under Konqueror, either. I don't know any Ajax-using site that
    > supports Konqueror. Mayhaps if Konqueror supported Mozilla-style
    > XmlHttpRequest objects, it would support these new fangled features.

    As far as I know it depends on both the Konqueror version and the User Agent
    string you are using.

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  5. Re: Gmail & Konqueror?

    On Monday 25 July 2005 03:37 pm, Kevin Krammer wrote:
    > On Tuesday 26 July 2005 00:13, Larry Garfield wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I guess Google doesn't think Konq is worth supporting, that it's market
    > > > share isn't high enough. Considering Google's roots, and the kind of
    > > > people that work there, I'm a bit surprised at that.

    > > In Google's defense, I've not been able to get decent Ajax
    > > (XmlHttpRequest) working under Konqueror, either. I don't know any
    > > Ajax-using site that supports Konqueror. Mayhaps if Konqueror supported
    > > Mozilla-style XmlHttpRequest objects, it would support these new fangled
    > > features.

    > As far as I know it depends on both the Konqueror version and the User
    > Agent string you are using.

    FWIW, I get the message with GMail, but everything seems to work fine for me
    with Konqueror 3.4.1.

    Also, Konq has XMLHTTPRequest, and it works fine. Last I checked, the problem
    was in it's JS XML parser, which has bugs. But you can get content from a
    serverside script and drop it into an element with innerHTML just fine. Or
    get plain text and set it with createTextNode().

  6. Re: Gmail & Konqueror?

    On Tuesday 26 July 2005 00:13, Larry Garfield wrote:
    > On Monday 25 July 2005 04:43 pm, Douglas Stanley Jr. wrote:
    > > On Monday 25 July 2005 04:32 pm, Robert Tilley wrote:
    > > > Why does Gmail continue to tell me: "If you wish a better Gmail
    > > > experience, use a supported browser?"

    > > I guess Google doesn't think Konq is worth supporting, that it's market
    > > share isn't high enough. Considering Google's roots, and the kind of
    > > people that work there, I'm a bit surprised at that.

    > In Google's defense, I've not been able to get decent Ajax (XmlHttpRequest)
    > working under Konqueror, either. I don't know any Ajax-using site that
    > supports Konqueror. Mayhaps if Konqueror supported Mozilla-style
    > XmlHttpRequest objects, it would support these new fangled features.

    AFAIK Konqueror has had AJAX crap for longer than Mozilla. Generally we
    support the MSIE variants though when there is a difference (because Ajax is
    a MSIE extension), but because Mozilla couldn't manage to copy MSIE well
    enough ,all the ajax sites out there now send browser specific JS code, and
    often broken code to browsers they don't recognize.

    `Allan

  7. Re: Gmail & Konqueror?

    On Monday 25 July 2005 05:11 pm, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
    > On Tuesday 26 July 2005 00:13, Larry Garfield wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I guess Google doesn't think Konq is worth supporting, that it's market
    > > > share isn't high enough. Considering Google's roots, and the kind of
    > > > people that work there, I'm a bit surprised at that.

    > > In Google's defense, I've not been able to get decent Ajax
    > > (XmlHttpRequest) working under Konqueror, either. I don't know any
    > > Ajax-using site that supports Konqueror. Mayhaps if Konqueror supported
    > > Mozilla-style XmlHttpRequest objects, it would support these new fangled
    > > features.

    > AFAIK Konqueror has had AJAX crap for longer than Mozilla. Generally we
    > support the MSIE variants though when there is a difference (because Ajax
    > is a MSIE extension), but because Mozilla couldn't manage to copy MSIE well
    > enough ,all the ajax sites out there now send browser specific JS code, and
    > often broken code to browsers they don't recognize.

    Sigh. Completely and utterly wrong.

    Firstly there's no "AJAX extension" in any browser. AJAX is a markting term.
    Ignore it.

    IE implements XmlHTTPRequest with ActiveX. Obviously nobody but Microsoft is
    going to implement that. Any coder that does browser sniffing in JS doesn't
    know what the they're doing. Not saying that it's never happened, just that
    they haven't kept up with the times. There really isn't much browser-specific
    code in a good XmlHTTP script.

  8. Re: Gmail & Konqueror?

    http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1195
    --
    ·O· Pierre Habouzit
    ··O madcoder@debian.org

  9. Re: Gmail & Konqueror?

    On Monday 25 July 2005 07:55 pm, Ian Eure wrote:
    > FWIW, I get the message with GMail, but everything seems to work fine for
    > me with Konqueror 3.4.1.
    >
    > Also, Konq has XMLHTTPRequest, and it works fine. Last I checked, the
    > problem was in it's JS XML parser, which has bugs. But you can get content
    > from a serverside script and drop it into an element with innerHTML just
    > fine. Or get plain text and set it with createTextNode().

    Gmail viewing, e-mail reading, and composition work with Konqueror 3.4.1 but
    changing user settings does not and receive the same error: For a better
    viewing experience, use a different browser.

    Any further ideas are most welcome, Bob
    --
    Q: How many DEC repairman does it take to fix a flat?
    A: Five; four to hold the car up and one to swap tires.

    Q: How long does it take?
    A: It's indeterminate.
    It will depend upon how many flats they've brought with them.

    Q: What happens if you've got TWO flats?
    A: They replace your generator.