bluedeath effect - Debian

This is a discussion on bluedeath effect - Debian ; Too many applications and processes cause terrible slowdowns and hangups which is nearly has the same effect as the bluedeath effect known from the other os. The most applications not response for about 5-10 minutes and/or crashes so the X-server ...

  1. bluedeath effect

    Too many applications and processes cause terrible slowdowns and hangups which
    is nearly has the same effect as the bluedeath effect known from the other
    os. The most applications not response for about 5-10 minutes and/or crashes
    so the X-server needs to be restarted. After restarting X with
    ctrl+alt+backspace kde hand on startup and the system needs to be rebooted.
    Yesturday it's happend when I've mounted a cd-rom and tried to open some
    files for reading. But it also happens with some other applications (kdetoys,
    evolution, etc. - I've already removed them, but I can't just remove every
    suspicious application). I use Linux for years, but I never seen similar
    things on other systems. KDE always was very stable. I've turned off every
    special kde effects like animations, etc., but it doesn't help. Whan should I
    do, check, etc. to fix it somehow? I have a relatively fast CPU (P4 2400) and
    enough memory (512 RAM + 1 GB swap) and I don't run powerhungry applications,
    so it should not happen. Can this problem be kernel dependable? I run the
    official 2.6.8-2-686 Debian kernel, system: Sarge with the official KDE
    3.3.2, and I don't have nothing from backports, unstable, testing, etc
    installed.
    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: bluedeath effect

    I can confirm that KDE is getting slower and slower, also with a
    relative fast machine, though not as fast as yours. I haven't
    experienced the hangs that would need a complete reboot, but I had
    freezes in 3.3.2 and sid. Now working with the alioth packages and a
    sid before the gcc-4 transition works, but still could be optimized a
    lot.

    I suspect the lack of cooperations between KDE and fontconfig to be the
    origin of the issue. Mostly, delays were cost by some app waiting for
    some font before falling back to some other value. I haven't managed to
    fix the issue so far. If you use russian truetype fonts, it seems to be
    even more error prone.

    Best,

    Rigo

    Am Saturday 16 July 2005 08:16 verlautbarte Serja :
    > Too many applications and processes cause terrible slowdowns and
    > hangups which is nearly has the same effect as the bluedeath effect
    > known from the other os. The most applications not response for about
    > 5-10 minutes and/or crashes so the X-server needs to be restarted.
    > After restarting X with ctrl+alt+backspace kde hand on startup and
    > the system needs to be rebooted. Yesturday it's happend when I've
    > mounted a cd-rom and tried to open some files for reading. But it
    > also happens with some other applications (kdetoys, evolution, etc. -
    > I've already removed them, but I can't just remove every suspicious
    > application). I use Linux for years, but I never seen similar things
    > on other systems. KDE always was very stable. I've turned off every
    > special kde effects like animations, etc., but it doesn't help. Whan
    > should I do, check, etc. to fix it somehow? I have a relatively fast
    > CPU (P4 2400) and enough memory (512 RAM + 1 GB swap) and I don't run
    > powerhungry applications, so it should not happen. Can this problem
    > be kernel dependable? I run the official 2.6.8-2-686 Debian kernel,
    > system: Sarge with the official KDE 3.3.2, and I don't have nothing
    > from backports, unstable, testing, etc installed.
    > Thanks in advance!

  3. Re: bluedeath effect

    El Jueves, 21 de Julio de 2005 16:23, Rigo Wenning escribi:
    > I can confirm that KDE is getting slower and slower, also with a
    > relative fast machine, though not as fast as yours. I haven't
    > experienced the hangs that would need a complete reboot, but I had
    > freezes in 3.3.2 and sid. Now working with the alioth packages and a
    > sid before the gcc-4 transition works, but still could be optimized a
    > lot.
    >
    > I suspect the lack of cooperations between KDE and fontconfig to be the
    > origin of the issue. Mostly, delays were cost by some app waiting for
    > some font before falling back to some other value. I haven't managed to
    > fix the issue so far. If you use russian truetype fonts, it seems to be
    > even more error prone.

    Have you tried to run 'fc-cache -f' as root?

    Best regards,

    Ender.
    --
    Yes I'm old. Old enough to remember when the MCP was just a chess program!
    -- Dumont (Tron).

  4. Re: bluedeath effect

    Yes, but no effect. I will now try to cut down my fonts to the absolute
    minimum. It was funny that on a new install it booted much faster and
    then I installed something that made it slower (probably more fonts),
    but as it was in a big chunk of packets to install, I couldn't
    determine the exact cause.

    This is not ready for a bug-report but I already had some contacts with
    fontconfig maintainers on fixed-font issues and they blamed KDE

    Overall it works, but there might be space for optimizations, that's
    all.

    Best,

    Rigo

    Am Thursday 21 July 2005 16:39 verlautbarte David Martnez Moreno :
    > > I suspect the lack of cooperations between KDE and fontconfig to be
    > > the origin of the issue. Mostly, delays were cost by some app
    > > waiting for some font before falling back to some other value. I
    > > haven't managed to fix the issue so far. If you use russian
    > > truetype fonts, it seems to be even more error prone.

    > Have you tried to run 'fc-cache -f' as root?

  5. Re: bluedeath effect

    I've enabled dma in hdparamd and it's greatly improoved the performance, sono
    more bluedeath effect, but some slowdowns still appear and I also think this
    is about fonts or something similar.

    > Yes, but no effect. I will now try to cut down my fonts to the absolute
    > minimum. It was funny that on a new install it booted much faster and
    > then I installed something that made it slower (probably more fonts),
    > but as it was in a big chunk of packets to install, I couldn't
    > determine the exact cause.
    >
    > This is not ready for a bug-report but I already had some contacts with
    > fontconfig maintainers on fixed-font issues and they blamed KDE
    >
    > Overall it works, but there might be space for optimizations, that's
    > all.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Rigo
    >
    > Am Thursday 21 July 2005 16:39 verlautbarte David Mart*nez Moreno :
    > > > I suspect the lack of cooperations between KDE and fontconfig to be
    > > > the origin of the issue. Mostly, delays were cost by some app
    > > > waiting for some font before falling back to some other value. I
    > > > haven't managed to fix the issue so far. If you use russian
    > > > truetype fonts, it seems to be even more error prone.

    > > Have you tried to run 'fc-cache -f' as root?

+ Reply to Thread