/etc/apt/preferences for kde 3.4 - Debian

This is a discussion on /etc/apt/preferences for kde 3.4 - Debian ; So I found the source for kde 3.4 debian packages (alioth), added it to my sources.list. Tried a dist-upgrade and it kept all my kde apps back. Then I tried apt-get -t experimental dist-upgrade and it found the 3.4 KDE ...

  1. /etc/apt/preferences for kde 3.4

    So I found the source for kde 3.4 debian packages (alioth), added it to my
    sources.list. Tried a dist-upgrade and it kept all my kde apps back.
    Then I tried

    apt-get -t experimental dist-upgrade

    and it found the 3.4 KDE packages but also tried to upgrade to experimental
    versions of other packages like libc6 (when I'd rather stick with unstable
    for those).

    does anyone have an example /etc/apt/preferences file which gets only
    experimental versions of KDE 3.4 and stays in unstable for everything else?
    Or are the experimental versions of libc6 and other packages required by
    kde3.4?

    --
    University of Victoria
    Department of Computer Science

  2. Re: /etc/apt/preferences for kde 3.4

    On June 18, 2005 12:07 pm, Alan Ezust wrote:
    > So I found the source for kde 3.4 debian packages (alioth), added it
    > to my sources.list. Tried a dist-upgrade and it kept all my kde apps
    > back. Then I tried
    >
    > apt-get -t experimental dist-upgrade
    >
    > and it found the 3.4 KDE packages but also tried to upgrade to
    > experimental versions of other packages like libc6 (when I'd rather
    > stick with unstable for those).
    >
    > does anyone have an example /etc/apt/preferences file which gets only
    > experimental versions of KDE 3.4 and stays in unstable for everything
    > else? Or are the experimental versions of libc6 and other packages
    > required by kde3.4?

    What I did and it is probably the hard way to do it is find all the
    packages from KDE I had installed and made myself a script that
    simulated the upgrade then once everything was upgrading to my
    satisfaction I went to the command line removed the -s in the install
    line and let it upgrade.

    I have attached the script you will have to search and replace most of
    the =4:3.4.0-0pre1 on the end of the package names with =4:3.4.1-1 and
    of course get your packages installed (COLUMNS=125 dpkg -l | grep 3.3.
    [1234]) to add into the file. Use apt-cache policy to figure out the
    version number = that you need to put on the end of the package names
    you will have to add to the file for your install and eventually you
    should get it to the point where everything will upgrade with exactly
    the packages you need to get it done without any of the packages from
    experimental.

    Stephen
    --
    Debian the choice of a GNU generation.

    GPG Public Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc

  3. Re: /etc/apt/preferences for kde 3.4

    El Junio 18 de 2005 11:07, Alan Ezust escribió:
    > So I found the source for kde 3.4 debian packages (alioth), added it to my
    > sources.list. Tried a dist-upgrade and it kept all my kde apps back.
    > Then I tried

    Hi, sorry no english

    My sourcelist

    Kde3.4.1
    Good

    deb http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.1/ ./

    Best regards
    Benjamín Gálvez

    > apt-get -t experimental dist-upgrade
    >
    > and it found the 3.4 KDE packages but also tried to upgrade to experimental
    > versions of other packages like libc6 (when I'd rather stick with unstable
    > for those).
    >
    > does anyone have an example /etc/apt/preferences file which gets only
    > experimental versions of KDE 3.4 and stays in unstable for everything else?
    > Or are the experimental versions of libc6 and other packages required by
    > kde3.4?

+ Reply to Thread