KDE 3.4 from source - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE 3.4 from source - Debian ; Hi everyone, I planning to compile KDE 3.4 on Sarge from sources and install it under /usr/local and keep the original KDE too. I have some questions about this procedure: 1) is it safe enough for stability reasons and how ...

  1. KDE 3.4 from source

    Hi everyone,

    I planning to compile KDE 3.4 on Sarge from sources and install it under /usr/local and keep the original KDE too. I have some questions about this procedure: 1) is it safe enough for stability reasons and how much chances I have to finally get a full featured and stable KDE 3.4 desktop if I going to operate this way (I new to Debian and I don't want to overwrite the original files for the first time) without conflicts between two versions. KDE.org says it's possible. 2) How exactly X server launch the different desktops (KDE, GNOME, etc.) under Sarge on the system-boot. I want to add the newly compiled KDE at the list of the available sessions.

    I got my Sarge DVD-s only next week and I want to be ready for action.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: KDE 3.4 from source

    On Friday 10 June 2005 05:29 am, mekoc wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I planning to compile KDE 3.4 on Sarge from sources and install it under
    > /usr/local and keep the original KDE too. I have some questions about this
    > procedure: 1) is it safe enough for stability reasons and how much chances
    > I have to finally get a full featured and stable KDE 3.4 desktop if I going
    > to operate this way (I new to Debian and I don't want to overwrite the
    > original files for the first time) without conflicts between two versions.
    > KDE.org says it's possible. 2) How exactly X server launch the different
    > desktops (KDE, GNOME, etc.) under Sarge on the system-boot. I want to add
    > the newly compiled KDE at the list of the available sessions.
    >
    > I got my Sarge DVD-s only next week and I want to be ready for action.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    It's quite stable, as long as you use sane CFLAGS, and there are no conflicts
    -- just make sure you build everything with ./configure
    --prefix=/usr/local . You will be chasing down a lot of -dev packages, and
    you'll need to examine the ./configure -h for each part of KDE (kdenetwork,
    kdebase, etc). Also, building KDE from source compiles EVERYTHING -- you
    won't be able to pick and choose what apps you want unless you use the
    DO_NOT_COMPILE variable, which can break dependencies between parts of KDE if
    its used incorrectly.

    If you're using KDM, you'll have to add an entry in /usr/share/xsessions/
    pointing to your new KDE install -- just copy the kde.desktop file that
    should already be in there, rename it, load it up in your favorite editor
    (.desktop files are text files), modify it to be "KDE 3.4 source" or
    something, point to /usr/local/bin/startkde or wherever your startkde for the
    source install ends up, and you should be able to choose it from the KDM
    session menu.

    Unless you specifically need to keep Sarge's KDE, you may want to install the
    KDE 3.4.1 packages from the Alioth server. Just add
    deb http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.1 ./
    to your /etc/apt/sources.list . These will be in Etch at some point, but for
    now (due to changes related to g++ I think) they are kept separately. They're
    quite stable.
    --
    Ryan Schultz
    -> floating point exception: divide by cucumber

  3. Re: KDE 3.4 from source

    Thanks!