KDE 3.4 into sid delayed a bit - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE 3.4 into sid delayed a bit - Debian ; Hello all, this is a short mail to let you know that KDE 3.4 entering unstable will take a while, since this transition is tied now to the C++ ABI transition (see [1] for details). [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel.../msg00004.html Note that the ...

  1. KDE 3.4 into sid delayed a bit

    Hello all,

    this is a short mail to let you know that KDE 3.4 entering unstable
    will take a while, since this transition is tied now to the C++ ABI
    transition (see [1] for details).

    [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel.../msg00004.html

    Note that the packages in experimental (or Alioth, they're the same)
    would be uploaded to sid now with very little modifications if there
    wasn't this transition happening, so it should be safe to upgrade.

    In case you're wondering, GNOME 2.10 has been able to transition right
    now because it's not written in C++.

    Cheers,

    --
    Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

    As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty,
    and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a
    scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
    -- Matt Cartmill

  2. Re: KDE 3.4 into sid delayed a bit

    On Thursday 09 June 2005 22:04, Adeodato Simó wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > this is a short mail to let you know that KDE 3.4 entering unstable
    > will take a while, since this transition is tied now to the C++ ABI
    > transition (see [1] for details).
    >
    > [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel.../msg00004.html

    While I understand the idea to reduce load on the servers I really think that
    sucks.
    KDE 3.4 has been artificially delayed due to the Sarge freeze and I guess the
    ABI transition will also take a while.

    > Note that the packages in experimental (or Alioth, they're the same)
    > would be uploaded to sid now with very little modifications if there
    > wasn't this transition happening, so it should be safe to upgrade.

    Sigh.
    Switched from stable to unstable to avoid secondary sources.

    > In case you're wondering, GNOME 2.10 has been able to transition right
    > now because it's not written in C++.

    Poor gtkmm maintainers and gtkmm applications
    I guess getting your tediously compiled platform splitted sucks even more

    Cheers,
    Kevin

    --
    Kevin Krammer