Re: Noob question re Kernel update and iptables - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Noob question re Kernel update and iptables - Debian ; Kernel 2.6.18-4-686 1. Is there a good link on compiling the kernel? 2. What is a module? 3. How do you compile it with iptables? 4. Is that what I need to do is recompile the kernel? error: iptables v1.3.6: ...

  1. Re: Noob question re Kernel update and iptables

    Kernel 2.6.18-4-686
    1. Is there a good link on compiling the kernel?
    2. What is a module?
    3. How do you compile it with iptables?
    4. Is that what I need to do is recompile the kernel?

    error:
    iptables v1.3.6: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Permission denied (you must be root)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
    iptables v1.3.6: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Permission denied (you must be root)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

    I am in root.. So what is the problem?

    Thanks, frank

    --- Paolo wrote:

    > On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 11:06:03AM -0700, Frank Parker wrote:
    > > I got an update notice to update my kernel
    > > I updated it.

    > to which version? (try 'uname -r')
    >
    > > Now i get the error:
    > > iptables v1.3.6 can't initialize iptables table 'nat' etc......

    > you need to provide more infos, eg report a few msg lines before and after
    > such msg - copy-paste as they are; that 'etc...' might tell something more.
    >
    > --
    > paolo
    >

    > --

    __________________________________________________ __________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
    http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar...mail/index.php

  2. Re: Noob question re Kernel update and iptables

    On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 06:57:45PM -0700, Frank Parker wrote:
    > Kernel 2.6.18-4-686
    > 1. Is there a good link on compiling the kernel?
    > 2. What is a module?
    > 3. How do you compile it with iptables?
    > 4. Is that what I need to do is recompile the kernel?

    1. pls don't top-post
    2. seems you need to read up most of docs from eg.
    http://www.debian.org/support
    but you may want to check in your local /usr/share/doc and/or
    http://localhost/dwww/
    if you have installed docs/how-to pkgs and dwww

    > error:
    > iptables v1.3.6: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Permission denied (you must be root)
    > Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
    > iptables v1.3.6: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Permission denied (you must be root)
    > Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
    >
    > I am in root.. So what is the problem?

    what's the command you're try to run which yields such error? if that's from
    the boot up sequence, pls post a few lines before and after these.

    --
    paolo

  3. Re: Noob question re Kernel update and iptables

    Hi, try to have a look at this howto:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_iptables_sarge
    Be careful that the kernel version used in this howto is a little
    older than yours, some option's names may be slightly changed.

    Bye,
    JoY

    GnuPG key on http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371 KeyID 0x399ED0F6