Re: touchpad too sensitive - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: touchpad too sensitive - Debian ; > I'm running Woody 2.6.12.2 on an HP Pavilion notebook (dv4040us). One > problem I'm trying to fix is the touchpad's sensitivity. This > touchpad is crazy sensitive -- just breathe on it and the pointer > moves! In some ...

  1. Re: touchpad too sensitive

    > I'm running Woody 2.6.12.2 on an HP Pavilion notebook (dv4040us). One
    > problem I'm trying to fix is the touchpad's sensitivity. This
    > touchpad is crazy sensitive -- just breathe on it and the pointer
    > moves! In some contexts, this doesn't bother me that much. But, when
    > I'm using apps or tools that require a lot of typing (emacs, gmail in
    > a browser window,...), it's really a problem. While I am typing, if
    > any portion of the base of my hand/palm comes in to contact with the
    > touchpad, no matter how lightly, the pointer puts the cursor in a new
    > location, and one of two things happens: 1) a new window is selected
    > and made active (mildly annoying), or 2) whatever letters I was in the
    > process of typing are inserted in an incorrect location (extremely
    > annoying!).

    Check your Xorg config. You should make you're using the synaptics driver
    which will give you many configuration parameters, including sensitivity,
    two-finger-scolling, tapping, ...

    In my case tpconfig doesn't seem to have any impact (although it does give
    the impression of working correctly), whereas things like synclient or
    [gq]synaptics definitely do work.

    I haven't yet found a good way to completely disable the touchpad (not just
    the tapping) while typing. If someone knows of such a thing, I'd love to
    hear about it.

    Stefan

  2. Re: touchpad too sensitive

  3. Re: touchpad too sensitive

    > I haven't yet found a good way to completely disable the touchpad (not just
    > the tapping) while typing. If someone knows of such a thing, I'd love to
    > hear about it.

    My laptop (an old Dell latitude) has a setting in the BIOS to disable
    the touchpad when an external mouse is connected. It is a real
    lifesaver

    Alex.

  4. Re: touchpad too sensitive

    Stefan Monnier writes:

    > I haven't yet found a good way to completely disable the touchpad (not just
    > the tapping) while typing. If someone knows of such a thing, I'd love to
    > hear about it.

    Hi Stefan,

    I fire up "syndaemon -d -k" out of .gnomerc which disables the
    touchpad while typing. By default, it is enabled after 2 seconds of
    idle time, but this can be changed via the -i flag.

    Priceless.

    --
    Bill Wohler http://www.newt.com/wohler/ GnuPG ID:610BD9AD