... what about Dell ? - Debian

This is a discussion on ... what about Dell ? - Debian ; Now this is just looking like what i'd enjoy to see on any laptop manufactorers site: Dell offers Ubuntu preinstalled on Latitude notebooks, in the US only. There's also a linux support forum. Official release: General statement about kernel drivers: ...

  1. ... what about Dell ?

    Now this is just looking like what i'd enjoy to see on any laptop manufactorers site:
    Dell offers Ubuntu preinstalled on Latitude notebooks, in the US only.
    There's also a linux support forum.

    Official release:

    General statement about kernel drivers:

    Don't Forget The Bios DFTB (TM)

    Froum:

    What do you say, Latitude users out there. Does it work ?

    ps. Given the allocation of the community, maybe the business modell would work even better in Europe than in the US. But what if it fails in the US, will they give it a second chance ?
    There always were ties between Dell and MS. I also wonder why they didn't chooese Novell.

  2. Re: ... what about Dell ?

    Michael wrote:

    > Now this is just looking like what i'd enjoy to see on any laptop
    > manufactorers site: Dell offers Ubuntu preinstalled on Latitude notebooks,
    > in the US only. There's also a linux support forum.

    > What do you say, Latitude users out there. Does it work ?

    Well I'm no latitude user, I'm actually on a Dell Precision M65, which I
    think it's pretty the same.
    The only thing I have to say is that I had no problem on Ubuntu 7.04.
    Everything went fine: wireless, Nvidia fx350m...
    Currently I'm on Debian etch and everything is ok.

    You can check these pages to see how Ubuntu works on Latitudes:

    http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    http://tuxmobil.org/

    Cheers,

    f_diogenes