getting PS/2 wheelmouse's scrollwheel to work on Thinkpad 600? - Debian

This is a discussion on getting PS/2 wheelmouse's scrollwheel to work on Thinkpad 600? - Debian ; Folks, I've never gotten the scrollwheel on my PS/2 wheelmouse to work on my IBM Thinkpad 600 running Debian 4.0r0, and I'd really like to be able to use it. What magical incantations am I missing from /etc/X11/xorg.conf or elsewhere? ...

  1. getting PS/2 wheelmouse's scrollwheel to work on Thinkpad 600?

    Folks,

    I've never gotten the scrollwheel on my PS/2 wheelmouse to work on my
    IBM Thinkpad 600 running Debian 4.0r0, and I'd really like to be able to
    use it. What magical incantations am I missing from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    or elsewhere?

    The physical mouse works just fine; I've moved it onto another Debian
    system (a desktop system), and all its buttons and its scrollwheel
    worked just fine over there (there, xev(1) reported that scrollwheel
    forward is button 4, and scrollwheel back is button 5).

    The /etc/X11/xorg.conf on my laptop has sections:

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
    EndSection

    I've also tried sections:

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
    EndSection

    I'm using KDE, and the applications that don't scroll in response to the
    scrollwheel are:

    o rxvt
    o IceWeasel
    o Emacs

    Interestingly, xev(1) prints events out in response to all mouse events
    except scrollwheel forward and scrollwheel back:

    o yes mouse movement
    o yes left mouse button down
    o yes left mouse button up
    o yes right mouse button down
    o yes right mouse button up
    o yes scrollwheel "button" down
    o yes scrollwheel "button" up
    o no scrollwheel forward
    o no scrollwheel back

    I have only the psmouse and not the mousedev module loaded:

    % lsmod | fgrep mouse
    psmouse 35016 0
    %

    Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

    Regards,
    Eric
    --
    "Only the most foolish of mice would hide in a cat's ear. But only the
    wisest of cats would think to look there." --Scott Love

    Eric De Mund | Ixian Systems |
    email: | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | ICQ: 811788
    http://www.ixian.com/ead/ | Mountain View, CA 94041 | Y!M: ead0002

  2. Re: getting PS/2 wheelmouse's scrollwheel to work on Thinkpad 600?

    mouse scrolls fine on my thinkpad R52

    relevant section from xorg.conf:

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"