Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network - Debian

This is a discussion on Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network - Debian ; I have a Toshiba Satellite 2850 laptop running Debian kernel 2.6.18-4-686 with a Linksys wireless network card (pcmcia), model WPC54G 802.11g. I followed the ndiswrapper installation instructions from this site -- http://ch.tudelft.nl/~arthur/wpc54g/ -- and everything succeeded. That is, until I ...

  1. Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

    I have a Toshiba Satellite 2850 laptop running Debian kernel
    2.6.18-4-686 with a Linksys wireless network card (pcmcia), model
    WPC54G 802.11g.

    I followed the ndiswrapper installation instructions from this site --
    http://ch.tudelft.nl/~arthur/wpc54g/ -- and everything succeeded.

    That is, until I got to the final step, scanning for access points:

    # iwlist eth1 scan
    eth1 Interface doesn't support scanning : No such device

    According to iwconfig, the card is there (i.e., the modprobe of
    ndiswrapper worked), but not attached to any network:

    # iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"" Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: Invalid
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    sit0 no wireless extensions.

    I also tried connecting using the network gnome gui (Desktop ->
    Administration -> Networking), and got the same result.

    I.e., just like iwconfig, the gui detects the wireless network
    adaptor, but clicking the "Activate" button doesn't work.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

    On Fri, 4 May 2007 08:12:30 -0400
    "Denis Papathanasiou" wrote:

    > I have a Toshiba Satellite 2850 laptop running Debian kernel
    > 2.6.18-4-686 with a Linksys wireless network card (pcmcia), model
    > WPC54G 802.11g.
    >
    > I followed the ndiswrapper installation instructions from this site --
    > http://ch.tudelft.nl/~arthur/wpc54g/ -- and everything succeeded.
    >
    > That is, until I got to the final step, scanning for access points:
    >
    > # iwlist eth1 scan
    > eth1 Interface doesn't support scanning : No such device
    >
    > According to iwconfig, the card is there (i.e., the modprobe of
    > ndiswrapper worked), but not attached to any network:
    >
    > # iwconfig
    > lo no wireless extensions.
    >
    > eth0 no wireless extensions.
    >
    > eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"" Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
    > Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: Invalid
    > RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > Encryption keyff
    > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >
    > sit0 no wireless extensions.
    >

    > I also tried connecting using the network gnome gui (Desktop ->
    > Administration -> Networking), and got the same result.
    >
    > I.e., just like iwconfig, the gui detects the wireless network
    > adaptor, but clicking the "Activate" button doesn't work.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Forgive some simple questions, but your message lacks some info. Is
    there an AP within range? If so, does it use encryption (WEP / WPA[2])?
    Can you reach the AP using any other system / OS? From the same
    location as your linux box? What chipset is the card? What drivers is
    ndiswrapper using?

    Celejar

  3. Re: Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

    > Forgive some simple questions, but your message lacks some info. Is
    > there an AP within range? If so, does it use encryption (WEP / WPA[2])?
    > Can you reach the AP using any other system / OS? From the same

    Yes, there are two access points nearby (one is WEP-protected, the
    other is not).

    The laptop is a dual-boot Debian/Windows, and when I run Windows with
    the same card, it can see and connect to both access points, both
    using the WEP key (for the protected one) and not, for the unprotected
    one.

    > location as your linux box? What chipset is the card? What drivers is
    > ndiswrapper using?

    I'm not sure about the chipset; neither the Linksys product page nor
    the data sheet specified it:
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

    As for the driver, I used the one on the CD which came with the card;
    it was "lsbcmnds.inf".

  4. Re: Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

    On Fri, 4 May 2007 09:56:33 -0400
    "Denis Papathanasiou" wrote:

    > > Forgive some simple questions, but your message lacks some info. Is
    > > there an AP within range? If so, does it use encryption (WEP / WPA[2])?
    > > Can you reach the AP using any other system / OS? From the same

    > Yes, there are two access points nearby (one is WEP-protected, the
    > other is not).
    >
    > The laptop is a dual-boot Debian/Windows, and when I run Windows with
    > the same card, it can see and connect to both access points, both
    > using the WEP key (for the protected one) and not, for the unprotected
    > one.
    >
    > > location as your linux box? What chipset is the card? What drivers is
    > > ndiswrapper using?

    > I'm not sure about the chipset; neither the Linksys product page nor
    > the data sheet specified it:
    > http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

    You can find the chipset by doing 'lspci', and looking for the line
    that corresponds to your pcmcia card.

    What happens when you do 'dhclient eth0'?
    You can also check dmesg and syslog for any errors or warnings from
    ndiswrapper.

    BTW, please reply to the list, not to me.

    Celejar

  5. Re: Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

    > ifconfig eth1 up ?
    > the network card can show up but sometimes due to the interface not up,
    > the scanning and assoc feature will not be activated.

    Here's what happened:

    # ifconfig eth1 up
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

    A quick search on that message indicates some kind of firmware
    problem; I'll dig a little deeper, but if you're familiar with that,
    please let me know.

  6. Re: Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

    > You can find the chipset by doing 'lspci', and looking for the line
    > that corresponds to your pcmcia card.

    Hmmm... I called lspci in verbose mode (I actually did it the first
    time you asked), but nothing comes back that looks like a chipset
    definition:

    # lspci -vvm
    Device: 02:00.0
    Class: Network controller
    Vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    Device: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
    SVendor: Linksys
    SDevice: WPC54G
    Rev: 02

    > What happens when you do 'dhclient eth0'?

    Well, I am on a network, using an ethernet cable connected to eth0
    (otherwise, I wouldn't be able to post this but here's that output:

    # dhclient eth0
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.4
    Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

    Listening on LPF/eth0/00:10:a4:91:9d:4d
    Sending on LPF/eth0/00:10:a4:91:9d:4d
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
    DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1
    DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
    DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
    bound to 192.168.1.103 -- renewal in 32995 seconds.

    I also tried it for eth1 and got that SIOCSIFFLAGS error again:

    # dhclient eth1
    There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 16329
    killed old client process, removed PID file
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.4
    Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

    SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
    Listening on LPF/eth1/00:0c:41:2b:8e:d0
    Sending on LPF/eth1/00:0c:41:2b:8e:d0
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
    send_packet: Network is down
    receive_packet failed on eth1: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
    send_packet: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 20
    send_packet: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
    send_packet: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
    send_packet: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
    send_packet: Network is down
    No DHCPOFFERS received.
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

    > You can also check dmesg and syslog for any errors or warnings from
    > ndiswrapper.

    Will do, and thanks for the suggestion; it's probably related to
    whatever SIOCSIFFLAGS means...

    > BTW, please reply to the list, not to me.

    Yes, sorry about that, I hit "reply" without thinking.

  7. Re: Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

    Denis Papathanasiou(denis.papathanasiou@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
    > I have a Toshiba Satellite 2850 laptop running Debian kernel
    > 2.6.18-4-686 with a Linksys wireless network card (pcmcia), model
    > WPC54G 802.11g.
    >
    > I followed the ndiswrapper installation instructions from this site --
    > http://ch.tudelft.nl/~arthur/wpc54g/ -- and everything succeeded.
    >
    > That is, until I got to the final step, scanning for access points:
    >
    > # iwlist eth1 scan
    > eth1 Interface doesn't support scanning : No such device
    >
    > According to iwconfig, the card is there (i.e., the modprobe of
    > ndiswrapper worked), but not attached to any network:
    >
    > # iwconfig
    > lo no wireless extensions.
    >
    > eth0 no wireless extensions.
    >
    > eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"" Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
    > Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: Invalid
    > RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > Encryption keyff
    > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >
    > sit0 no wireless extensions.

    Not enough info!

    Does ifconfig show eth1? Did you do an ifconfig or ifup eth1?

    iwlist does not scan if the interface is not up, at least here it
    doesn't.

    What do you have in /etc/network/interfaces for eth1?

    Wayne

  8. Re: Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

    On Fri, 4 May 2007 10:58:26 -0400
    "Denis Papathanasiou" wrote:

    > > You can find the chipset by doing 'lspci', and looking for the line
    > > that corresponds to your pcmcia card.

    > Hmmm... I called lspci in verbose mode (I actually did it the first
    > time you asked), but nothing comes back that looks like a chipset
    > definition:
    >
    > # lspci -vvm
    > Device: 02:00.0
    > Class: Network controller
    > Vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    > Device: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
    > SVendor: Linksys
    > SDevice: WPC54G
    > Rev: 02

    Broadcom BCM4306 is the chipset; if you use the -n flag, you get the
    actual numeric PCIIDs.

    > > What happens when you do 'dhclient eth0'?

    > Well, I am on a network, using an ethernet cable connected to eth0
    > (otherwise, I wouldn't be able to post this but here's that output:

    [snip]

    > I also tried it for eth1 and got that SIOCSIFFLAGS error again:

    [snipped details of SIOCSIFFLAGS errors]

    > > You can also check dmesg and syslog for any errors or warnings from
    > > ndiswrapper.

    > Will do, and thanks for the suggestion; it's probably related to
    > whatever SIOCSIFFLAGS means...
    >
    > > BTW, please reply to the list, not to me.

    > Yes, sorry about that, I hit "reply" without thinking.

    I also see people mentioning firmware in this context. The Broadcom
    chips do need firmware, and if it isn't loaded, the interface will
    (might?) show up but it won't work properly. ndiswrapper should handle
    the firmware automatically, but it may not be doing so. Look at the
    ndiswrapper device list to see if anyone gives precise instructions for
    your card / chipset.

    Celejar
    --
    ssuds.sourceforge.net - a Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator

  9. Re: Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

    > I helped someone out with a similar wireless device under Ubuntu
    > recently. You might try using the native driver (bcm43xx) instead of
    > ndiswrapper. I believe you will need to extract the firmware from
    > the windows drivers. There's a debian package called bcm43xx-fwcutter
    > which will do this and put the files in /lib/firmware.
    > (Instructions at http://www.debiantutorials.org/content/view/153/213/
    > also mention that it might be good to copy *.fw files from /lib/firmware
    > to /lib/hotplug/firmware the author doesn't sound too sure about that.)

    Thanks, that solved it!

  10. Re: Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

    > Broadcom BCM4306 is the chipset; if you use the -n flag, you get the
    > actual numeric PCIIDs.

    Thanks for the tip on -n flag; I used the resulting pciid to match the
    device list at the ndiswrapper site and notice the driver there was
    different (newer) than the one I had on the CD.

    I tried installing that one with ndiswrapper (after removing the old
    one), but got the same result, i.e., it didn't work.

    The suggestion to use the bcm43xx driver (including copying the
    firmware) fixed it, though.