ipw2200 on Gateway running etch - Debian

This is a discussion on ipw2200 on Gateway running etch - Debian ; Got the connection active this morning. Getting the fw files in place was all it needed. The ipw2200 was in my install. So all was in place and upon rebooting it showed that I had an active wireless connection. Then ...

  1. ipw2200 on Gateway running etch

    Got the connection active this morning. Getting the fw files in place
    was all it needed. The ipw2200 was in my install. So all was in place
    and upon rebooting it showed that I had an active wireless connection.
    Then came the process of getting wpa_supplicant up as I run WPA-PSK TKIP
    security. I really complicated that as it was one of the modules in the
    "etch" install. I heard about supplicant from a local linux user and
    had downloaded the tarball for 0.5.7. I proceeded to try to install it
    before I finally did some checking and discovered that the preloaded
    version was 0.5.5. After removing 0.5.7, shutting down and removing my
    network cable, I restarted and the supplicant gui came up asking for my
    password. Entered and voila. Connected like a champ.
    Did a restart and it loaded in startup asking me for the password once
    I'd logged on to the system.
    So I'm a happy geriatric camper this afternoon.
    Thanks for your replies.

    Jim

  2. Re: ipw2200 on Gateway running etch

    Jim Moore(j9916moore@bellsouth.net) is reported to have said:
    > So I'm a happy geriatric camper this afternoon.
    > Thanks for your replies.

    >From one geriatric to another, way to go Jim!

    Regards
    Wayne

  3. Re: ipw2200 on Gateway running etch

    Jim Moore wrote:
    > Got the connection active this morning. Getting the fw files in place
    > was all it needed. The ipw2200 was in my install. So all was in place
    > and upon rebooting it showed that I had an active wireless connection.

    Very good to hear.

    > Then came the process of getting wpa_supplicant up as I run WPA-PSK TKIP
    > security. I really complicated that as it was one of the modules in the
    > "etch" install. I heard about supplicant from a local linux user and
    > had downloaded the tarball for 0.5.7. I proceeded to try to install it
    > before I finally did some checking and discovered that the preloaded
    > version was 0.5.5. After removing 0.5.7, shutting down and removing my
    > network cable, I restarted and the supplicant gui came up asking for my
    > password. Entered and voila. Connected like a champ.

    That seems like a lot of work. Not to detract from your good results
    but I think that much effort was not needed.

    The default installation of Etch will install NetworkManager by
    default. Internally NetworkManager already uses wpa_supplicant.
    Therefore I think that if you use NM to connect that you will get
    wpa_supplicant without needing to compile and install it explicitly.

    It "just worked" for me when I connected up to a WPA wireless node. I
    have always been a low-level type of guy and only recently tried using
    NM to manage these things. But so far I am quite impressed, like it
    quite a bit, and think the relationship with NM will be a long one.

    Bob