Sony or Toshiba? (corrected) - Debian

This is a discussion on Sony or Toshiba? (corrected) - Debian ; Hi. I was looking for a notebook I found two good deals: Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 and Sony VAIO N220E/B, both for the same price (after rebate) $599.99. I wonder which one would have better Linux compatibility (and maybe better performance). ...

  1. Sony or Toshiba? (corrected)

    Hi. I was looking for a notebook I found two good deals: Toshiba Satellite
    A135-S4527 and Sony VAIO N220E/B, both for the same price (after rebate)
    $599.99.
    I wonder which one would have better Linux compatibility (and maybe better
    performance).
    Their specifications are listed below.

    Felipe

    *** Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 *************************
    Processor Brand: Intel
    Processor Class: Pentium Dual-Core
    Processor Number: T2080
    Processor Speed: 1.73 GHz
    Front Side Bus: 533 MHz
    Mobile Technology: Centrino
    L2 Cache Size: 1 MB
    System Chipset: Intel 943GML Express
    Memory Speed: PC2-4200 (533MHz)
    Memory Type: DDR2-SDRAM
    Installed Memory: 1 GB
    Maximum Memory: 2 GB
    Memory Slots Total: 2
    Hard Drive Capacity: 120 GB
    Drive Controllers: SATA-150
    Rotational Speed: 5400 RPM
    Optical Drives: Double Layer DVD SuperMulti Drive:
    Create a Double Layer DVD+R at a maximum 4X Write speed
    Create a Double Layer DVD-R at a maximum 4X Write speed
    Create a DVD-R at a maximum 8X Write speed or a maximum 6X Rewrite speed
    Create a DVD+R at a maximum 8X Write speed or a maximum 8X Rewrite speed
    Create a DVD-RAM at a maximum 5X Write speed
    Play a DVD at a maximum 8X Read speed
    Create a CD-Rom at a maximum 24X Write speed
    Create a CD-RW at a maximum 16X Rewrite speed
    Play a CD-Rom at a maximum 24X Read speed
    Additional Drives: DL DVD SuperMulti
    Sound Support: Digital Audio (16-bit)
    Video Chipset Brand: Intel
    Video Chipset: Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
    Shared Video RAM (Max): 256 MB
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Screen Size: 15.4 in
    Screen Type: TruBrite Screen Technology
    Physical Aspect Ratio: 16:10 (Widescreen)
    Port Connectors: Video:
    1 x RGB (monitor) output
    1 x S-Video output
    Audio:
    1 x Microphone input
    1 x Headphone output
    Data:
    1 x i.LINK™ IEEE-1394
    4 x USB v2.0
    1 x RJ-45 LAN
    1 x RJ-11 modem
    Card Slots: 1 x Memory Stick
    1 x Memory Stick PRO
    1 x Secure Digital(SD)/MMC
    1 x xD-Picture Card
    1 x Type II / Type 1 PC Card
    Network Support: Ethernet (10/100 Mbps)
    Wireless Protocol: 802.11b
    802.11g
    Modem Speed: 56 Kbps
    Input Devices: Keyboard
    Touchpad
    Number of Batteries: 1
    Installed Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Chassis Color: Mist Gray
    In the Box: 65W external AC adapter
    6-cell (4000mAh) rechargeable, removable Lithium-Ion battery pack
    Height: 1.5 in
    Width: 14.2 in
    Depth: 10.5 in
    Weight: 6.0 lbs
    Limited Warranty: 1 Year (12 Months)

    *** Sony VAIO N220E/B ***************************

    Processor Brand: Intel
    Processor Class: Pentium Dual-Core
    Processor Number: T2060
    Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
    Front Side Bus: 533 MHz
    Mobile Technology: Other
    L2 Cache Size: 1 MB
    System Chipset: Intel 943GML Express
    Memory Speed: PC2-4200 (533MHz)
    Memory Type: DDR2-SDRAM
    Installed Memory: 1 GB
    Maximum Memory: 2 GB
    Memory Slots Total: 2
    Memory Slots Available: 0
    Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB
    Drive Controllers: SATA-150
    Rotational Speed: 5400 RPM
    Optical Drives: Double Layer DVD SuperMulti Drive:
    Create a DVD+R DL at a maximum 4X Write speed
    Create a DVD-R DL at a maximum 4X Write speed
    Create a DVD+R at a maximum 8X Write speed or a maximum 8X Rewrite speed
    Create a DVD-R at a maximum 8X Write speed or a maximum 6X Rewrite speed
    Create a DVD-RAM at a maximum 5X Write speed
    Play a DVD-Rom at a maximum 8X Read speed
    Create a CD-Rom at a maximum 24X Write speed
    Create a CD-RW at a maximum 16X Rewrite speed
    Play a CD-Rom at a maximum 24X Read speed
    Additional Drives: DL DVD SuperMulti
    Sound Support: Digital Audio (16-bit)
    Video Chipset Brand: Intel
    Video Chipset: Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
    Total Available Graphics Memory (Vista): 224 MB
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Screen Size: 15.4 in
    Screen Type: Active Matrix LCD (TFT)
    Port Connectors: 1 x VGA out with Smart Display Sensor
    1 x i.LINK® connector (IEEE 1394) (4 pin)
    2 x USB 2.0
    1 x RJ-45 Ethernet LAN
    1 x RJ-11 Modem
    1 x Audio - Headphone jack
    1 x Audio - Microphone input
    1 x DC-in
    Card Slots: 1 x MagicGate Memory Stick
    1 x Memory Stick PRO
    1 x Memory Stick PRO Duo
    1 x Secure Digital (SD)
    1 x ExpressCard/34
    Network Support: Ethernet (10/100 Mbps)
    Wireless Protocol: 802.11b
    802.11g
    Modem Speed: 56 Kbps
    Input Devices: Keyboard
    Touchpad
    Number of Batteries: 1
    Installed Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Included Software: Anti-Virus and Recovery Software:
    Norton® Internet Security™ 2007 60-Day Subscription - Norton AntiVirus®,
    Norton Personal Firewall, Norton Privacy Control, Norton AntiSpam®, Norton
    Parental Control
    Supplied Applications:
    Microsoft® Works 8.5 - Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Calendar, Scheduling,
    Contact Management, and Database
    Sony® Original Software:
    Click to DVD™ - DVD Creation
    Chassis Color: Black
    In the Box: Sony VAIO N220E/B Notebook
    Standard Lithium-ion battery (VGP-BPS2A/S)
    AC adapter
    Power Cord
    Height: 1.6 in
    Width: 14.4 in
    Depth: 10.5 in
    Weight: 6.5 lbs
    Limited Warranty: 1 Year (12 Months)

  2. Re: Sony or Toshiba? (corrected)

    On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 05:18:28PM -0300, Carlos Felipe S. Pinheiro wrote:
    > $599.99.

    wow

    > *** Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 *************************

    looks the best deal to me.

    HTH
    --
    paolo

  3. Re: Sony or Toshiba? (corrected)

    On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 17:18 -0300, Carlos Felipe S. Pinheiro wrote:
    > Hi. I was looking for a notebook I found two good deals: Toshiba Satellite
    > A135-S4527 and Sony VAIO N220E/B, both for the same price (after rebate)
    > $599.99.
    > I wonder which one would have better Linux compatibility (and maybe better
    > performance).

    Hi Felipe,

    If we cut those lists down to the parts that actually are different...

    > *** Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 *************************
    > Processor Speed: 1.73 GHz
    > Hard Drive Capacity: 120 GB
    > 4 x USB v2.0
    > 6-cell (4000mAh) rechargeable, removable Lithium-Ion battery pack
    > Weight: 6.0 lbs

    > *** Sony VAIO N220E/B ***************************
    > Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
    > Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB
    > 2 x USB 2.0
    > Standard Lithium-ion battery (VGP-BPS2A/S)
    > Weight: 6.5 lbs

    The Toshiba Satellite would seem to be a _clear_ winner. 10% faster
    CPU, 50% more HD, 10% lighter, 100% more USB ports...

    I'm not sure of the battery equivalences, but the Sony is unlikely to be
    vastly different.

    Other notes:

    - The card slots probably won't work under Linux, except to read SD (&
    MMC?) cards where there are some under-development drivers that I have
    had some success with on a different laptop.

    - You may need to install Xorg 7.3 to get the graphics running
    properly, or perhaps use 915resolution (but really, Xorg7.3 is a better
    solution).

    Everything else should work OK.

    Cheers,
    Andrew McMillan.

    Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
    WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/ PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
    DDI: +64(4)803-2201 MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
    The secret of being a bore is to say everything -- Voltaire

  4. Re: Sony or Toshiba? (corrected)

    Hello,

    You should google to check that Video, Wireless and LAN chipset are well
    supported. Also check Modem if it matters to you.
    Hibernation always works now. But if you really need suspend, google for
    it (ACPI suspend and SATA...) as it can be difficult to get is working
    sometime.
    If you can't find linux-compatibility information about a specific
    model, search for similar model (!).

    A live CD might help (at least you can lspci to help googling

    Hope those hints will help.

    Franklin

    On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 17:18 -0300, Carlos Felipe S. Pinheiro wrote:
    > Hi. I was looking for a notebook I found two good deals: Toshiba Satellite
    > A135-S4527 and Sony VAIO N220E/B, both for the same price (after rebate)
    > $599.99.
    > I wonder which one would have better Linux compatibility (and maybe better
    > performance).
    > Their specifications are listed below.
    >
    > Felipe
    >
    > *** Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 *************************
    > Processor Class: Pentium Dual-Core
    > Drive Controllers: SATA-150
    > Sound Support: Digital Audio (16-bit)
    > Video Chipset Brand: Intel
    > Video Chipset: Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
    > Network Support: Ethernet (10/100 Mbps)
    > Wireless Protocol: 802.11b 802.11g
    > Modem Speed: 56 Kbps

    > *** Sony VAIO N220E/B ***************************
    >
    > Processor Brand: Intel
    > Processor Class: Pentium Dual-Core
    > Sound Support: Digital Audio (16-bit)
    > Video Chipset Brand: Intel
    > Video Chipset: Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
    > 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet LAN
    > 1 x RJ-11 Modem
    > Network Support: Ethernet (10/100 Mbps)
    > Wireless Protocol: 802.11b 802.11g
    > Modem Speed: 56 Kbps

  5. Re: Sony or Toshiba? (corrected)

    Franklin PIAT :
    > If you can't find linux-compatibility information about a specific
    > model, search for similar model (!).

    It's a safer bet to search for reviews of the exact components.
    Anything else might be waste of time.

  6. Re: Sony or Toshiba? (corrected)

    Yes that one looks nice. I like it's equipped with many I/O.

    Here are the specs
    looks like it runs an onboard Intel GMA950 graphic chip but does it have any seperate graphic mem ? They only mention shared one.

    Here's a review

    Anyway, if you got one please drop a note on http://www.linux-laptop.net your model isn't in yet.
    Personally i would be interested in your opinion concerning screen glare.

    (ps. lookup "dual channel mode" RAM and consider to upgrade to 2x1G)

  7. Re: Sony or Toshiba? (corrected)

    Hi Andrew.
    Thank you for the hints.
    And for those who are interested in such a bargain, check out CircuitCity.

    cheers

    Felipe

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 16:18:53 +1200
    Andrew McMillan wrote:

    > On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 17:18 -0300, Carlos Felipe S. Pinheiro wrote:
    > > Hi. I was looking for a notebook I found two good deals: Toshiba

    Satellite
    > > A135-S4527 and Sony VAIO N220E/B, both for the same price (after

    rebate)
    > > $599.99.
    > > I wonder which one would have better Linux compatibility (and maybe

    better
    > > performance).

    > Hi Felipe,
    >
    > If we cut those lists down to the parts that actually are different...
    >
    > > *** Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 *************************
    > > Processor Speed: 1.73 GHz
    > > Hard Drive Capacity: 120 GB
    > > 4 x USB v2.0
    > > 6-cell (4000mAh) rechargeable, removable Lithium-Ion battery pack
    > > Weight: 6.0 lbs

    > > *** Sony VAIO N220E/B ***************************
    > > Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
    > > Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB
    > > 2 x USB 2.0
    > > Standard Lithium-ion battery (VGP-BPS2A/S)
    > > Weight: 6.5 lbs

    > The Toshiba Satellite would seem to be a _clear_ winner. 10% faster
    > CPU, 50% more HD, 10% lighter, 100% more USB ports...
    >
    > I'm not sure of the battery equivalences, but the Sony is unlikely to

    be
    > vastly different.
    >
    > Other notes:
    >
    > - The card slots probably won't work under Linux, except to read SD

    (&
    > MMC?) cards where there are some under-development drivers that I have
    > had some success with on a different laptop.
    >
    > - You may need to install Xorg 7.3 to get the graphics running
    > properly, or perhaps use 915resolution (but really, Xorg7.3 is a

    better
    > solution).
    >
    > Everything else should work OK.
    >

    > Cheers,
    > Andrew McMillan.

    > Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,

    Wellington
    > WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/ PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis

    St
    > DDI: +64(4)803-2201 MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN OFFICE:

    +64(4)499-2267
    > The secret of being a bore is to say everything -- Voltaire

  8. Re: Sony or Toshiba? (corrected)

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 08:13:38 -0300, Michael wrote:

    > Yes that one looks nice. I like it's equipped with many I/O.
    >
    > Here are the specs
    >
    > looks like it runs an onboard Intel GMA950 graphic chip but does it have
    > any seperate graphic mem ? They only mention shared one.

    It seems to have a dynamic memory system for video (8 - 256 M). So, I
    believe it's only shared memory.

    > Anyway, if you got one please drop a note on
    > http://www.linux-laptop.net your model isn't in yet.
    > Personally i would be interested in your opinion concerning screen glare.

    Sure thing. As soon as I get Linux running nicely on it.

    cheers

    Felipe

  9. Re: Sony or Toshiba? (corrected)

  10. Re: Sony or Toshiba? (corrected)

    Hello,

    On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 13:19 +0200, Michael wrote:

    > Franklin PIAT :
    > > If you can't find linux-compatibility information about a specific
    > > model, search for similar model (!).

    > It's a safer bet to search for reviews of the exact components.
    > Anything else might be waste of time.

    Often, similar computer model share some components (read the specs).
    But, as mentioned by Michael, one should never assume that "similar
    component" behave the same way nor they are compatible... (don't
    assume... check!)

    Franklin

  11. Re: Sony or Toshiba? (corrected)