ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch - Debian

This is a discussion on ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch - Debian ; Anyone give me any ideas on how to do this. Normally the the ipw2200 file is extracted and the ipw2200-1.1.0 is made and installed. Then the ipw2200 fw 3.0 is unzipped and the four files are placed in the/lib/firmware folder. ...

  1. ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

    Anyone give me any ideas on how to do this. Normally the the ipw2200
    file is extracted and the ipw2200-1.1.0 is made and installed. Then the
    ipw2200 fw 3.0 is unzipped and the four files are placed in
    the/lib/firmware folder.
    Etch won't let me move files in the firmware folder, says I don't have
    permission. If I choose change user from the "Desktop" menu, it won't
    let me log in as root. I'm at a loss as to how to make this happen.
    Jim

  2. Re: ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

    Jim Moore wrote:
    > Anyone give me any ideas on how to do this. Normally the the ipw2200
    > file is extracted and the ipw2200-1.1.0 is made and installed. Then the
    > ipw2200 fw 3.0 is unzipped and the four files are placed in
    > the/lib/firmware folder.
    > Etch won't let me move files in the firmware folder, says I don't have
    > permission. If I choose change user from the "Desktop" menu, it won't
    > let me log in as root. I'm at a loss as to how to make this happen.

    You must use the root account for such things. Either type "su -" in a Terminal, or choose directly
    Applications/Accessories/Root Terminal in order to get a root terminal. In both cases you will be asked for the root
    password (you defined this during the install process - the first of the two passwords you defined).

    As a note, gdm doesn't allow you to log in as root since is not a good idea to do such a thing (too many risks
    involved). By default, you can only log in directly as root in console terminals (ctrl+alt+F1, ctrl+alt+F2 ... up to
    ctrl+alt+F6; ctrl+alt+F7 will bring you back to the X session).

    Good luck with your wireless card!

    --
    Regards,
    EddyP

  3. Re: ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

    On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 02:04:49AM +0300, Eddy Petri??or wrote:
    > > file is extracted and the ipw2200-1.1.0 is made and installed. Then the
    > > ipw2200 fw 3.0 is unzipped and the four files are placed in
    > > the/lib/firmware folder.

    shouldn't the install procedure put the fw files in the right folder on
    it's own? you shouldn't need to tinker with file placement by hand;
    if that's the case, file a bugrep against the relevant ipw2200 pkg.

    --
    paolo

  4. Re: ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

    Eddy Petrișor wrote:

    >Jim Moore wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone give me any ideas on how to do this. Normally the the ipw2200
    >>file is extracted and the ipw2200-1.1.0 is made and installed. Then the
    >>ipw2200 fw 3.0 is unzipped and the four files are placed in
    >>the/lib/firmware folder.
    >>Etch won't let me move files in the firmware folder, says I don't have
    >>permission. If I choose change user from the "Desktop" menu, it won't
    >>let me log in as root. I'm at a loss as to how to make this happen.
    >>

    >You must use the root account for such things. Either type "su -" in a Terminal, or choose directly
    >Applications/Accessories/Root Terminal in order to get a root terminal. In both cases you will be asked for the root
    >password (you defined this during the install process - the first of the two passwords you defined).
    >
    >As a note, gdm doesn't allow you to log in as root since is not a good idea to do such a thing (too many risks
    >involved). By default, you can only log in directly as root in console terminals (ctrl+alt+F1, ctrl+alt+F2 ... up to
    >ctrl+alt+F6; ctrl+alt+F7 will bring you back to the X session).
    >
    >Good luck with your wireless card!

    Thanks for your reply. Am new to Debian and wasn't aware of the root
    terminal. Once there, I could minipulate the files as needed.

    Jim

  5. Re: ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

    <---->

    > >Good luck with your wireless card!
    > >

    > Thanks for your reply. Am new to Debian and wasn't aware of the root
    > terminal. Once there, I could minipulate the files as needed.

    For the benefit of others, where did you end up putting the files?
    My ipw firmware files are in /lib/firmware, where I think you said
    yours were, and I am not having any problems with them.

    Inquiring mind would like to know.

    Wayne

  6. Re: ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

    Wayne Topa wrote:

    >Jim Moore(j9916moore@bellsouth.net) is reported to have said:
    >

    >>Eddy Petrisor wrote:
    >>

    >>>Jim Moore wrote:
    >>>

    ><---->
    >

    >>>Good luck with your wireless card!
    >>>

    >>Thanks for your reply. Am new to Debian and wasn't aware of the root
    >>terminal. Once there, I could minipulate the files as needed.
    >>

    >For the benefit of others, where did you end up putting the files?
    >My ipw firmware files are in /lib/firmware, where I think you said
    >yours were, and I am not having any problems with them.
    >
    >Inquiring mind would like to know.
    >
    >Wayne

    They're in the /lib/firmware folder. My problem was that when I
    un-tarred the ipw2200-fw file. it put ipw2200-fw in the /lib/firmware
    folder. Inside of it were the sniffer and other files. In essence
    creating a sub-directory. I needed to have only the files in
    /lib/firmware. Does that make any sense? If I browsed /lib/firmware, I
    saw ipw2200-fw[3.0, when I browsed it, it contained the individual files

    Jim

  7. Re: ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

    Wayne Topa wrote:

    >Jim Moore(j9916moore@bellsouth.net) is reported to have said:
    >

    >>Eddy Petrisor wrote:
    >>

    >>>Jim Moore wrote:
    >>>

    ><---->
    >

    >>>Good luck with your wireless card!
    >>>

    >>Thanks for your reply. Am new to Debian and wasn't aware of the root
    >>terminal. Once there, I could minipulate the files as needed.
    >>

    >For the benefit of others, where did you end up putting the files?
    >My ipw firmware files are in /lib/firmware, where I think you said
    >yours were, and I am not having any problems with them.
    >
    >Inquiring mind would like to know.
    >
    >Wayne

    Wayne
    Have you done a successful installation of the intel on an etch laptop?
    I did a locate and it appears that wireless tools and the ieee files
    came with the install, so I've not bothered to download and install
    them. My firmware files are in place yet when I try to do the make on
    the ipw2200_110 file nothing executes. Am stumped at this point. Maybe
    bad files in firmware or ipw downloads, so shall start by re-downloaded
    those and putting them in clean.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Jim

  8. Re: ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

    Jim Moore(j9916moore@bellsouth.net) is reported to have said:
    > Wayne Topa wrote:
    >
    > >Jim Moore(j9916moore@bellsouth.net) is reported to have said:

    <---->

    > Have you done a successful installation of the intel on an etch laptop?

    Only on the T40 which had the ipw2100 built in. I installed it on
    Etch/Testing prior to Etch going stable, so it should work on Etch.

    > I did a locate and it appears that wireless tools and the ieee files
    > came with the install, so I've not bothered to download and install
    > them. My firmware files are in place yet when I try to do the make on
    > the ipw2200_110 file nothing executes. Am stumped at this point. Maybe
    > bad files in firmware or ipw downloads, so shall start by re-downloaded
    > those and putting them in clean.
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Not sure if I understand the problem. Let me try to remember the
    steps I took.

    I installed the ipw2200-source package and went to the sourceforge
    site for the firmware. I put the firmware in /lib/firmware. I then
    used module-assistant to compile the source (m-a prepare : m-a a-i
    ipw2100 in my case). m-a does it all for you, extracts the source,
    compiles it, and installs the modules. See man module-assistant.
    After that it's just a matter of finding out what the card can do and
    how to tell it to do it. :-)

    I hope that is the answer you were after.

    Regards

    Wayne

  9. Re: ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

    Wayne Topa wrote:
    > I installed the ipw2200-source package and went to the sourceforge
    > site for the firmware. I put the firmware in /lib/firmware.

    I recently installed Etch onto a Thinkpad T42 that has the Intel
    2200BG wireless in it. The process was similar for me. However I had
    an Ubuntu live cd handy and because Ubuntu includes the non-free
    firmware blobs I simply booted the Ubuntu live cd and copied the
    ipw2200* firmware blobs from the running system into /lib/firmware.
    For me that was simplest and upon reboot the wireless was fully
    functional.

    [Note that in Ubuntu the files are in /lib/firmware/$(uname -r) so
    that they can be packaged with the kernel without creating file
    conflicts. But it is okay to put them in /lib/firmware without the
    $(uname -r) differentiator when simply copying them as files.]

    > I then used module-assistant to compile the source (m-a prepare :
    > m-a a-i ipw2100 in my case). m-a does it all for you, extracts the
    > source, compiles it, and installs the modules. See man
    > module-assistant. After that it's just a matter of finding out what
    > the card can do and how to tell it to do it. :-)

    I did not need to recompile the driver. The free driver currently in
    the Etch kernel will load the firmware blobs if they are present. Not
    needing to recompile the driver that makes things a little bit easier.

    I have heard rumors that the non-free firmware blobs are getting
    addressed in some way to make them free blobs in the future but have
    no other information on it.

    Bob

  10. Re: ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

    Wayne Topa wrote:
    > For the benefit of others, where did you end up putting the files?
    > My ipw firmware files are in /lib/firmware, where I think you said
    > yours were, and I am not having any problems with them.

    As far as I understand the firmware files are loaded by udev hotplug and
    the directories for the firmware are defined in
    /lib/udev/hotplug.functions by the variable FIRMWARE_DIRS. E.g., I store
    the firmware files in /usr/local/lib/firmware.
    --
    Regards,
    Jörg-Volker.

  11. Re: ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

    Jörg-Volker Peetz(peetz@scai.fraunhofer.de) is reported to have said:
    > Wayne Topa wrote:
    > > For the benefit of others, where did you end up putting the files?
    > > My ipw firmware files are in /lib/firmware, where I think you said
    > > yours were, and I am not having any problems with them.
    > >

    > As far as I understand the firmware files are loaded by udev hotplug and
    > the directories for the firmware are defined in
    > /lib/udev/hotplug.functions by the variable FIRMWARE_DIRS. E.g., I store
    > the firmware files in /usr/local/lib/firmware.

    Thanks for that pointer, I wasn't aware of that. It looks like we are
    all using the correct location. ;-)

    I just installed the zd1211-firmware package and it installed in
    /lib/firmware/zd1211 which, by default, doesn't look right.

    The USB dongle, a DLink DWL-G122 H/W Ver B1, that I am trying to get
    installed, won't associate with my AP. Moving the F/W files fron the
    zd1211 dir to /lib/firmware didn't change anything though.

    On a laptop I see that the ipw2100-firmware did install in
    /lib/firmware. It looks like a bug report should be filed on the
    zd1211-firmware package. I'll try to do that today.

    Tnx again

    Wayne

+ Reply to Thread