Extremely slow boot on new Vaio - Debian

This is a discussion on Extremely slow boot on new Vaio - Debian ; Hi We are noticing that a new Vaio laptop is extremely slow to boot Debian. We thought it was PCMCIA problem an started without it, but it still is slow from around the place that PCMCIA would have started. Also ...

  1. Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

    Hi

    We are noticing that a new Vaio laptop is extremely slow to boot
    Debian. We thought it was PCMCIA problem an started without it, but it
    still is slow from around the place that PCMCIA would have started.
    Also the X11 is very sluggish. The laptop is noticeably slower than
    other older desktop computers.

    Does anybody have any experience with this? We are looking for clue as
    to what makes this happen. Windows XP does not have a boot problem.

    Any hints much appreciated!

    Preben

  2. Re: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

    On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 10:27:49AM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
    > We are noticing that a new Vaio laptop is extremely slow to boot

    check that you're running a kernel that knows about you cpu and its pm
    and cpufreq features; check that you have 'performance' as default cpufreq
    governor; put some bogomips(1) and/or
    % cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freqtest
    in key rc-scripts just to get trace of cpu state as boot goes on.
    Perhaps the CPU didn't notice you've done power-on and keeps on sleeping

    --
    paolo

  3. RE: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

    Hello, can you post your dmesg and also the var/log/messages, because maybe
    you have a kernel panic or saomething that stop the boot process.

    Salut
    alp

    >From: Preben Randhol
    >To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
    >Subject: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio
    >Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:27:49 +0200
    >
    >Hi
    >
    >We are noticing that a new Vaio laptop is extremely slow to boot
    >Debian. We thought it was PCMCIA problem an started without it, but it
    >still is slow from around the place that PCMCIA would have started.
    >Also the X11 is very sluggish. The laptop is noticeably slower than
    >other older desktop computers.
    >
    >Does anybody have any experience with this? We are looking for clue as
    >to what makes this happen. Windows XP does not have a boot problem.
    >
    >Any hints much appreciated!
    >
    >Preben
    >

    >--

  4. Re: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

  5. Re: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

    On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:52:29 -0300
    "Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)" wrote:

    > On 04/29/2007 05:27 AM, Preben Randhol wrote:
    > > Any hints much appreciated!

    > On a few VAIOs you should turn off apic and lapic.
    >
    > noapic nolapic

    I see. Thanks. We got it working yesterday finally. What we had to do
    was to install the 486 kernel image and not the 686.

    Anybody knows why? Is it a bug in the 2.6.18 kernel?

    Preben

  6. Re: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

    On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 10:21:05AM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
    > was to install the 486 kernel image and not the 686.
    >
    > Anybody knows why? Is it a bug in the 2.6.18 kernel?

    what's exactly the CPU in that Vaio?

    --
    paolo

  7. Re: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:54:27 +0200
    Paolo wrote:

    > On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 10:21:05AM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
    > > was to install the 486 kernel image and not the 686.
    > >
    > > Anybody knows why? Is it a bug in the 2.6.18 kernel?

    > what's exactly the CPU in that Vaio?

    pentium M 740 1.73GHz

    Preben

  8. Re: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

    2007/4/30, Preben Randhol :
    > On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:54:27 +0200
    > Paolo wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 10:21:05AM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
    > > > was to install the 486 kernel image and not the 686.
    > > >
    > > > Anybody knows why? Is it a bug in the 2.6.18 kernel?

    > > what's exactly the CPU in that Vaio?

    > pentium M 740 1.73GHz
    >
    > Preben

    I've got a laptop Vaio with exactly that CPU and I've never had such a
    problem of slow boot. I always use i686 kernels. With this computer
    I've only had problems with the hard disk (SATA).
    The exact laptop model is vaio VGN-A617B

    --
    Christophe T

  9. Re: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

    On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 11:23:19AM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:

    > pentium M 740 1.73GHz

    seems it's supposed to work with -686; but since -486 works, it might be
    an issue with cpufreq driver; look in dmesg for cpufreq msgs; seems that
    Debian's -686 is compiled for M686 (Pentium Pro) which might not be right
    for 'true' PM; possibly, compile a custom kernel for just PentiumM and
    just the HW you have.

    --
    paolo

  10. Re: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

    > I've got a laptop Vaio with exactly that CPU and I've never had such a
    > problem of slow boot. I always use i686 kernels. With this computer
    > I've only had problems with the hard disk (SATA).
    > The exact laptop model is vaio VGN-A617B

    Hi! Which kernel do you use now? Did 2.6.18 work?

    I have seen many (ubuntu/debian) people complain that their computer
    got very slow after moving to dapper/etch.

    The solution somebody offered was to use the 486 and this seems to work
    for 2.6.18 at least.

    Hopefully 2.6.20-686 works though

    Preben

  11. Re: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:29:54 +0200
    Paolo wrote:

    > On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 11:23:19AM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
    > >
    > > pentium M 740 1.73GHz

    > seems it's supposed to work with -686; but since -486 works, it might
    > be an issue with cpufreq driver; look in dmesg for cpufreq msgs;
    > seems that Debian's -686 is compiled for M686 (Pentium Pro) which
    > might not be right for 'true' PM; possibly, compile a custom kernel
    > for just PentiumM and just the HW you have.

    I guess so yes. Seems to be problem that the cpufreq doesn't manage
    well and the fans are running all the time. With 486 it works nice
    though...

    We'll have a look at 2.6.20 later before recompiling. :-)

    Preben

  12. Re: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

    2007/5/1, Preben Randhol :

    > > I've got a laptop Vaio with exactly that CPU and I've never had such a
    > > problem of slow boot. I always use i686 kernels. With this computer
    > > I've only had problems with the hard disk (SATA).
    > > The exact laptop model is vaio VGN-A617B

    > Hi! Which kernel do you use now? Did 2.6.18 work?

    Yes it did, an dit still does (it was the default install kernel with etch).
    I use both debian etch and fedora6 on this computer. With fedora
    2.6.18 and 2.6.20 work as well, although boot on debian is a bit
    longer (I think both distributions simply don't boot the same way and
    the difference is not particular to this computer).

    --
    Christophe T