synaptic? what no opensource driver? - Debian

This is a discussion on synaptic? what no opensource driver? - Debian ; This group is full of people wanting the synaptics touchpad driver. My touchpad works fine, but only as a touchpad. There are no options to configure it to not open things on tap, or scroll when i run my finger ...

  1. synaptic? what no opensource driver?

    This group is full of people wanting the synaptics touchpad driver. My
    touchpad works fine, but only as a touchpad. There are no options to
    configure it to not open things on tap, or scroll when i run my finger
    down the side of the touchpad.

    I don't really want to use a wrapper to get the synaptics driver working
    in debain 4 (xfce) just for these features.

    apt-get install what? to use an alternative? :-) or am I way off?
    Drivers go in th kernel don't they?

    Thanks

  2. Re: synaptic? what no opensource driver?

    On Fr, Apr 27, 2007 at 12:43:43 +0100, somethin2cool@yahoo.com wrote:
    > This group is full of people wanting the synaptics touchpad driver. My
    > touchpad works fine, but only as a touchpad. There are no options to
    > configure it to not open things on tap, or scroll when i run my finger
    > down the side of the touchpad.
    >
    > I don't really want to use a wrapper to get the synaptics driver working
    > in debain 4 (xfce) just for these features.
    >
    > apt-get install what? to use an alternative? :-) or am I way off?

    Are you searching for xserver-xorg-input-synaptics?

    Frank

  3. Re: synaptic? what no opensource driver?

    somethin2cool@yahoo.com:

    > This group is full of people wanting the synaptics touchpad driver.

    s/wanting/having.

    > My
    > touchpad works fine, but only as a touchpad. There are no options to
    > configure it to not open things on tap, or scroll when i run my finger
    > down the side of the touchpad.

    Do I understand you right that you *don't* want your touchpad to do
    these things? Then I don't understand your mail at all.

    > I don't really want to use a wrapper to get the synaptics driver working
    > in debain 4 (xfce) just for these features.

    What are you talking about? You should really try to be more precise in
    your emails.

    > apt-get install what? to use an alternative? :-) or am I way off?

    'apt-cache search synaptics' will answer your question. And I bet you
    already have it installed (and configured with some default options).

    > Drivers go in th kernel don't they?

    Not necessarily. For the kernel, your touchpad is nothing but a simple
    PS/2 mouse. More advanced features may be configured via xorg.conf or
    one of the GUI frontends (which can be run by ordinary users, once
    synaptics has been set up properly).

    J.
    --
    I will not admit to failure even when I know I am terribly mistaken and
    have offended others.

  4. Re: synaptic? what no opensource driver?

    Frank Ursel wrote:
    > On Fr, Apr 27, 2007 at 12:43:43 +0100, somethin2cool@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> This group is full of people wanting the synaptics touchpad driver. My
    >> touchpad works fine, but only as a touchpad. There are no options to
    >> configure it to not open things on tap, or scroll when i run my finger
    >> down the side of the touchpad.
    >>
    >> I don't really want to use a wrapper to get the synaptics driver working
    >> in debain 4 (xfce) just for these features.
    >>
    >> apt-get install what? to use an alternative? :-) or am I way off?

    > Are you searching for xserver-xorg-input-synaptics?
    >
    > Frank

    Oooh that looks nice! Thanks Frank

  5. Re: synaptic? what no opensource driver?

    Jochen Schulz wrote:
    > somethin2cool@yahoo.com:
    >> This group is full of people wanting the synaptics touchpad driver.

    > s/wanting/having.
    >
    >> My
    >> touchpad works fine, but only as a touchpad. There are no options to
    >> configure it to not open things on tap, or scroll when i run my finger
    >> down the side of the touchpad.

    > Do I understand you right that you *don't* want your touchpad to do
    > these things? Then I don't understand your mail at all.
    >
    >> I don't really want to use a wrapper to get the synaptics driver working
    >> in debain 4 (xfce) just for these features.

    > What are you talking about? You should really try to be more precise in
    > your emails.
    >
    >> apt-get install what? to use an alternative? :-) or am I way off?

    > 'apt-cache search synaptics' will answer your question. And I bet you
    > already have it installed (and configured with some default options).
    >
    >> Drivers go in th kernel don't they?

    > Not necessarily. For the kernel, your touchpad is nothing but a simple
    > PS/2 mouse. More advanced features may be configured via xorg.conf or
    > one of the GUI frontends (which can be run by ordinary users, once
    > synaptics has been set up properly).
    >
    > J.

    I see. Although you really shouldn't slate a post just because you don't
    understand

  6. Re: synaptic? what no opensource driver?