Trying to figure out a USB wireless stick - Debian

This is a discussion on Trying to figure out a USB wireless stick - Debian ; I'm using an older Dell Latitude which has always worked great with Debian. I'm currently using the "lenny" or testing version. I'm trying to set up a Linksys wireless card or stick. When I boot the computer the BIOS sees ...

  1. Trying to figure out a USB wireless stick

    I'm using an older Dell Latitude which has always worked great with
    Debian. I'm currently using the "lenny" or testing version. I'm trying
    to set up a Linksys wireless card or stick. When I boot the computer
    the BIOS sees the stick on the USB port, but there's nothing to tell it
    to configure it as a network device.

    The output of lsusb is:

    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 13b1:0020 Linksys
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

    My kernel is 2.6.17. I've downloaded the "wireless-tools" package. Any
    advise would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Trying to figure out a USB wireless stick

    Arthur Barlow skrev:
    > I'm using an older Dell Latitude which has always worked great with
    > Debian. I'm currently using the "lenny" or testing version. I'm trying
    > to set up a Linksys wireless card or stick. When I boot the computer
    > the BIOS sees the stick on the USB port, but there's nothing to tell it
    > to configure it as a network device.
    >
    > The output of lsusb is:
    >
    > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 13b1:0020 Linksys
    > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >
    > My kernel is 2.6.17. I've downloaded the "wireless-tools" package. Any
    > advise would be appreciated.

    Try 'ndiswrapper' and the Win-XP .inf driver file.

  3. Re: Trying to figure out a USB wireless stick

    On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 11:10:21AM -0700, Arthur Barlow wrote:
    > I'm using an older Dell Latitude which has always worked great with
    > Debian. I'm currently using the "lenny" or testing version. I'm trying
    > to set up a Linksys wireless card or stick. When I boot the computer
    > the BIOS sees the stick on the USB port, but there's nothing to tell it
    > to configure it as a network device.
    >
    > The output of lsusb is:
    >
    > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 13b1:0020 Linksys
    > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >
    > My kernel is 2.6.17. I've downloaded the "wireless-tools" package. Any
    > advise would be appreciated.

    A google search on 13b1:0020 turned up
    http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB...ec723988bec8b7

    It looks like this could be an rt73 card.

    Check out the rt2x00 project:
    http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/...itle=Main_Page

    Debian has several source packages for RaLink drivers, which you can
    easily install using module-assistant:

    - This is newer, being developed to cover a lot of rt2x00 chips,
    http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/rt2x00-source

    - There are also some packages which might be more directly
    related to your device, (though this might not be under development
    anymore, since people are focused on the rt2x00 driver):
    http://packages.debian.org/experimental/net/rt73-common
    http://packages.debian.org/experimental/net/rt73-source

    If you can't get the Debian packages to work, getting the latest CVS (or
    git) from the rt2x00 project can help.

    BTW, it sounds like you might need to also get the firmware for this
    device for the drivers to work.

    Selim T. Erdo─čan