etc floppy install question - Debian

This is a discussion on etc floppy install question - Debian ; Hi, I have a pretty complicated (at least to me) problem with a DEC HiNote Ultra 2000. I don't have the CD drive, so I'm trying to do a network install. The onboard ethernet and modem are handled by a ...

  1. etc floppy install question

    Hi, I have a pretty complicated (at least to me) problem with a DEC
    HiNote Ultra 2000. I don't have the CD drive, so I'm trying to do a
    network install. The onboard ethernet and modem are handled by a
    Xircom combo card in an internal i82365 socket. The external PC card
    socket uses the yenta driver. Because of how the init scripts run,
    the yenta socket is detected and scanned, but once it's found the
    i82365 is ignored. This means I can't get access to that onboard NIC.

    I've opened a shell from the installer and modprobed i82365, which
    works fine, but still no luck pulling up the Xircom card (it doesn't
    show up with lspci). If I go back to the installer after doing this
    the network card detection routine still doesn't find anything. Even
    if I explicitly choose the xirc2ps module it still can't find the card.

    I've found some installation guides for this computer, but they all
    rely on installing from a CD and then fiddling with how the cardbus
    bridges are probed once the system is installed, which isn't an
    option for me unfortunately.

    I think what I need to do is to manually load the i82365 bridge, and
    then let the system discover the xirc2ps card there and load it as
    eth0. I just don't know what commands to use to do this, and I'm
    really hampered because the installer busybox doesn't include vi, so
    to change any files I have to open up the udebs and edit the files by
    hand on another machine. I'm happy to do this if I have some idea of
    which changes to make, but right now I could spend days guessing.

    Any suggestions here would be hugely helpful. Thanks!

    Hugo

  2. Re: etc floppy install question

    * Hugo Mallinson [2007-04-26 17:01:59 +0100]:

    > Hi, I have a pretty complicated (at least to me) problem with a DEC
    > HiNote Ultra 2000. I don't have the CD drive, so I'm trying to do a
    > network install. The onboard ethernet and modem are handled by a
    > Xircom combo card in an internal i82365 socket. The external PC card
    > socket uses the yenta driver. Because of how the init scripts run,
    > the yenta socket is detected and scanned, but once it's found the
    > i82365 is ignored. This means I can't get access to that onboard NIC.

    Which installer are you using, exactly where in the install process are
    opening the terminal, and exactly what is the error return on network
    detection?

    Ciao,

    Dave

  3. Re: etc floppy install question

    Hey Dave, thanks for the quick reply.

    It's the Etch floppy installer image, dated 03/10/07. I'm booting
    with the boot and root images, and then loading both net-drivers
    disks as well when prompted. The installer immediately goes into the
    network detection routine, loads the PCMCIA subsystem, and tries to
    find the network card. Then it says it can't find anything and offers
    a list of cards, from which I can pick the xirc2ps module. At this
    stage I've quit the network install and gone back to the main menu to
    launch the terminal, modprobed i82365, then gone back to the main
    menu and re-run the network autodetection. I also tried opening the
    second tty and doing the modprobe i82365 while the "load drivers from
    floppy" window was still up, i.e. before the network autodetection.
    Neither method gets the card recognized though, either automatically
    or after I specify the module explicitly.

    On Apr 26, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Dave Patterson wrote:

    > * Hugo Mallinson [2007-04-26 17:01:59 +0100]:
    >
    >> Hi, I have a pretty complicated (at least to me) problem with a DEC
    >> HiNote Ultra 2000. I don't have the CD drive, so I'm trying to do a
    >> network install. The onboard ethernet and modem are handled by a
    >> Xircom combo card in an internal i82365 socket. The external PC card
    >> socket uses the yenta driver. Because of how the init scripts run,
    >> the yenta socket is detected and scanned, but once it's found the
    >> i82365 is ignored. This means I can't get access to that onboard NIC.

    > Which installer are you using, exactly where in the install process
    > are
    > opening the terminal, and exactly what is the error return on network
    > detection?
    >
    > Ciao,
    >
    > Dave

  4. Re: etc floppy install question

    * Hugo Mallinson [2007-04-26 22:00:33 +0100]:

    > Hey Dave, thanks for the quick reply.

    Luck, I guess, anyway, this is an interesting problem. Haven't dealt with a
    DEC product in a long time. They built great hardware, I don't care what
    anybody says...

    > It's the Etch floppy installer image, dated 03/10/07. I'm booting
    > with the boot and root images, and then loading both net-drivers
    > disks as well when prompted. The installer immediately goes into the
    > network detection routine, loads the PCMCIA subsystem, and tries to
    > find the network card. Then it says it can't find anything and offers
    > a list of cards, from which I can pick the xirc2ps module. At this
    > stage I've quit the network install and gone back to the main menu to
    > launch the terminal, modprobed i82365, then gone back to the main
    > menu and re-run the network autodetection.

    Hmm. Have you tried to give the installer a static net address? Sometimes
    older, slower hardware can give a problem with dhcp.

    Also, for grins, take a look at your /dev/ directory and see if anything's
    changing when you modprobe i82365. (just curious).

    And, lastly, where did you find this thing? I want one. Be a great
    firewall/router/California server...

    Ciao,

    Dave

  5. Re: etc floppy install question

    Hugo Mallinson wrote:
    > I just don't know what commands to use to do this, and I'm really
    > hampered because the installer busybox doesn't include vi, so to change

    the installer busybox has nano as editor, hth :-)

    > Any suggestions here would be hugely helpful. Thanks!

    +1 here ;-)

    --
    Regards,
    EddyP