Best notebook - Debian

  2. Re: Best notebook

    Christoph Kling wrote:
    > I plan to buy a notebook to use with Debian. I wonder if some of you
    > might have a few tips which manufacturer or which models in general
    > are notably known to cause only few problems with Linux and Debian
    > concerning hardware support and so on.

    Search this list. This comes up frequently.

    www.thinkwiki.org offers arguably the most comprehensive support for any
    manufacturer. You'll find detailed instructions of what works and how
    for which thinkpad model.

    Johannes

  3. Re: Best notebook

    Am 2007-04-04 17:00:25, schrieb Christoph Kling:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I plan to buy a notebook to use with Debian. I wonder if some of you
    > might have a few tips which manufacturer or which models in general
    > are notably known to cause only few problems with Linux and Debian
    > concerning hardware support and so on.

    IBM/Lenovo, any!

    I run a TP760ED, TP570, TP600, T20, R40, R42 and T72
    without any problems including the Lucent Winmodems.

    Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

    Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
    50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
    0033/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

  4. Re: Best notebook

    Michelle Konzack wrote (Tue 2007-Apr-10 17:48:49 +0200):

    > Am 2007-04-04 17:00:25, schrieb Christoph Kling:

    > > I plan to buy a notebook to use with Debian. I wonder if some of you
    > > might have a few tips which manufacturer or which models in general
    > > are notably known to cause only few problems with Linux and Debian
    > > concerning hardware support and so on.

    > IBM/Lenovo, any!

    Just make sure to avoid ATI graphics cards if you plan on
    running open source only and don't really need all fancy
    acceleration. You can find almost all Thinkpad models with an
    Intel graphics card for a reasonable surcharge, if you just
    dig deep enough into the Lenovo website.

    Cheers, Marcus

    --
    Marcus C. Gottwald http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~gottwald/

  5. Re: Best notebook

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:06:33 -0400
    "Marcus C. Gottwald" wrote:

    > Michelle Konzack wrote (Tue 2007-Apr-10 17:48:49 +0200):
    >
    > > Am 2007-04-04 17:00:25, schrieb Christoph Kling:

    > ..
    > > > I plan to buy a notebook to use with Debian. I wonder if some of you
    > > > might have a few tips which manufacturer or which models in general
    > > > are notably known to cause only few problems with Linux and Debian
    > > > concerning hardware support and so on.

    > > IBM/Lenovo, any!

    > Just make sure to avoid ATI graphics cards if you plan on
    > running open source only and don't really need all fancy
    > acceleration. You can find almost all Thinkpad models with an
    > Intel graphics card for a reasonable surcharge, if you just
    > dig deep enough into the Lenovo website.
    >

    > Cheers, Marcus
    >
    > --
    > Marcus C. Gottwald http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~gottwald/
    >

    > --

    I'm using Etch AMD64 on a new Dell Inspiron 6400. Unfortunately being the cheapskate I am I decided on an ATI Graphics card. Most Dells though have the option of an Intel or NVidia card which is well supported under Linux. Also they come with the option of Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG also supported well (I'm using it this very moment to send e-mails via a wireless routerunder Etch).

    The only unfortunate thing is that you'll probably need to install some non-free drivers in my case fglrx for the ATI card and ipw3945 stuff for the wireless.

    regards,

    Ananda Samaddar

  6. Re: Best notebook

    > IBM/Lenovo, any!

    It would be nice to jointly focus on a couple of brands (say, three) and make the corp aware of a -then maybe siginificant- linux customer base.

    Lenovo would be a good candiadate, but that's still the IBM heritage (including the IBM involvement into kernel devel and linux cluster tech)- nobody knows the longterm chinese policies. Or do you ?
    Another one would probably be HP. How about a third one ? Smaller oners (in market share) like Asus or Samsung ?

    Anyone bying a notebook for linux could drop a mail notification to the main support center...but you know, maybe even if they would be able to collect the info somehow, most probably they would not even try.
    What would be necessary, is a precompiled list of (anonymized) byers. Somehow trusted (maybe by your spam catching mail address? Or your full name ?) Some bit of marketing information (like country and business area or private usage) should be included, as a hook, to have them store the list, or look at it at all. Could be done by website with linux counter table with brand, model.

    In fact, that should be rather done by the marketing section of the brand itself, and indeed they may very well have something similar already. Of course they got the general selling figures. But most probably they miss the feature 'what OS do you intend (or succeed to run'. So, straight way is to get them setup such a site and then publsih the link on linux lists likie this one.

    And yes this is also the kernel.org folks task, and probably they got some experience in this. But you can't leave anything to them. They have no dedicated position for such a marketing thing. You know this clubs point of view, originally rooted in Linus attitude. (Did he change his mind meeanwhile?) They make the kernel, nothing else. I think it prooved a good one.

    Laptop end users are a good additional starting point. To strike them from different sides The linux community exists, and it works that way.

  7. Re: Best notebook

    On Tue, April 10, 2007 16:48, Michelle Konzack wrote:
    [...]
    > IBM/Lenovo, any!
    >
    > I run a TP760ED, TP570, TP600, T20, R40, R42 and T72
    > without any problems including the Lucent Winmodems.

    How do you do that, Michelle? I have both a TP570 and a TP600
    and I never managed to get the sound to work (or the modem, though
    that is already irrelevant), and the USB and PCMCIA ports only work
    for some things (no wifi card I tried can work for example).

    I simply cannot take the time needed to research each issue -- it
    usually needs a couple of days at least, and even then not always
    leading to success. There really should be a place to get (even
    buy) a CD or DVD for each model that someone has made work to add
    the necessary changs to a standard install. This usually means
    recompiled kernels, special drivers, tailoring hotplug and
    hibernation systems -- all stuff I scarsely understand.

    But any hints on the sound that do not entail more than a couple
    of hours of work or any recompiled kernel would be welcome.

    FWIW, I have the same audio problem on Dell and on Acer Aspire 1640Z.
    --
    richard

  8. Re: Best notebook

    Hellp Richard,

    [michelle.konzack@tp570.private:~/] uname -a
    Linux tp570.private 2.4.27-tp570 #1 Fr Nov 3 00:39:21 CET 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

    [michelle.konzack@tp570.private:~/] cat /proc/pci
    PCI devices found:
    Bus 0, device 0, function 0:
    Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 3).
    Master Capable. Latency=64.
    Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf8000000 [0xfbffffff].
    Bus 0, device 1, function 0:
    PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 3).
    Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=140.
    Bus 0, device 2, function 0:
    CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1450 (rev 3).
    IRQ 9.
    Master Capable. Latency=168. Min Gnt=192.Max Lat=5.
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x50000000 [0x50000fff].
    Bus 0, device 2, function 1:
    CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1450 (#2) (rev 3).
    IRQ 10.
    Master Capable. Latency=168. Min Gnt=64.Max Lat=5.
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x50100000 [0x50100fff].
    Bus 0, device 5, function 0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 1).
    IRQ 9.
    Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=24.
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4100000 [0xf4100fff].
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4000000 [0xf40fffff].
    Bus 0, device 6, function 0:
    Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 2).
    Bus 0, device 6, function 1:
    IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 1).
    Master Capable. Latency=64.
    I/O at 0x1800 [0x180f].
    Bus 0, device 6, function 2:
    USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 1).
    IRQ 15.
    Master Capable. Latency=64.
    I/O at 0x1820 [0x183f].
    Bus 0, device 6, function 3:
    Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 2).
    IRQ 9.
    Bus 0, device 7, function 0:
    Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 1).
    IRQ 11.
    Master Capable. No bursts. Min Gnt=252.Max Lat=14.
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4101000 [0xf41010ff].
    I/O at 0x1810 [0x1817].
    I/O at 0x2000 [0x20ff].
    Bus 1, device 0, function 0:
    VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2200 [MagicGraph 256AV] (rev 32).
    IRQ 9.
    Master Capable. Latency=128. Min Gnt=16.Max Lat=255.
    Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf5000000 [0xf5ffffff].
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4400000 [0xf47fffff].
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4200000 [0xf42fffff].

    [michelle.konzack@tp570.private:~/] cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 6
    model name : Mobile Pentium II
    stepping : 10
    cpu MHz : 365.031
    cache size : 256 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
    bogomips : 729.08

    Am 2007-05-05 11:28:47, schrieb Richard Lyons:
    > How do you do that, Michelle? I have both a TP570 and a TP600
    > and I never managed to get the sound to work (or the modem, though

    [michelle.konzack@tp570.private:~/] lsmod
    Module Size Used by Not tainted
    3c589_cs 8368 1
    nls_utf8 768 0 (unused)
    nls_iso8859-15 3356 0 (unused)
    nls_iso8859-1 2844 0 (unused)
    nls_cp850 3580 0 (unused)
    cs46xx 59188 2
    ^^^^^^
    ac97_codec 13300 0 [cs46xx]
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    irlan 38460 0 (unused)
    ircomm-tty 32800 0 (unused)
    ircomm 14444 0 [ircomm-tty]
    irtty 8200 0 (unused)
    irport 7400 0 (unused)
    printer 7904 0 (unused)
    scanner 10784 0 (unused)
    usbserial 20220 0 (unused)
    neofb 13572 63
    fbcon-cfb24 4488 0 [neofb]
    fbcon-cfb16 4136 0 [neofb]
    fbcon-cfb8 3560 0 [neofb]

    it is ALL working!

    > that is already irrelevant), and the USB and PCMCIA ports only work

    1) USB is not bootable and only 1.1
    2) USB works with ANY USB sticks, mp3player (mass-storage)
    and external HDD
    3) PCMCIA is working with 3c589 and 3c574 (both any versions)
    4) PCMCIA is with my Proxim Combo Card 802.11abg

    > for some things (no wifi card I tried can work for example).
    >
    > I simply cannot take the time needed to research each issue -- it
    > usually needs a couple of days at least, and even then not always
    > leading to success. There really should be a place to get (even
    > buy) a CD or DVD for each model that someone has made work to add
    > the necessary changs to a standard install. This usually means
    > recompiled kernels, special drivers, tailoring hotplug and
    > hibernation systems -- all stuff I scarsely understand.

    Oh, hibernate is working too... but under Sarge a little bit crappy.

    > But any hints on the sound that do not entail more than a couple
    > of hours of work or any recompiled kernel would be welcome.

    The sound is working from scratch...

    Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

    Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
    50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
    0033/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

+ Reply to Thread