Help! PCMCIA Wifi card freezes system - Debian

This is a discussion on Help! PCMCIA Wifi card freezes system - Debian ; Hi. I bought a Netgear WG511T 108Mbs (cardbus) network card for use with my Toshiba Portege 4010, which runs Debian testing, kernel 2.6.18-3 (and a custom 2.6.20). When I plug the card in, my laptop freezes immediately. Sometimes the system ...

  1. Help! PCMCIA Wifi card freezes system

    Hi. I bought a Netgear WG511T 108Mbs (cardbus) network card for use with my
    Toshiba Portege 4010, which runs Debian testing, kernel 2.6.18-3 (and a
    custom 2.6.20).

    When I plug the card in, my laptop freezes immediately.

    Sometimes the system continues to run as normal if I unplug the card. In
    these cases I get to read the error messages.

    I get an error message which says:

    cs: pcmcia_socket0: unable to apply power

    Does anyone know how to fix this? I would be happy to help debug.
    I tried a different card, (a wired xircom RealPortEthernet 10/100), which
    did not have any problems. Do I need to buy a different network card?

    Thanks,

    James

  2. Re: Help! PCMCIA Wifi card freezes system

    On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 18:36:37 +1100 James Utter wrote:

    > Hi. I bought a Netgear WG511T 108Mbs (cardbus) network card for use
    > with my Toshiba Portege 4010, which runs Debian testing, kernel
    > 2.6.18-3 (and a custom 2.6.20).
    >
    > When I plug the card in, my laptop freezes immediately.

    Hm, had same symptoms with my wg511t too. Does the system freeze if you
    use Windows? Or annother system (a different laptop)? If yes, ask
    Netgear for a new one. I got one (even if I thought I was out of
    warranty).

    > Sometimes the system continues to run as normal if I unplug the card.
    > In these cases I get to read the error messages.

    Same was here

    Regards
    Evgeni

    --
    ^^^ | Evgeni -SargentD- Golov (sargentd@die-welt.net)
    d(O_o)b | GPG/PGP-Key-ID: 0xAC15B50C
    >-|-< | 0C04 F872 0963 ADC9 AA83 882B 24A0 1418 AC15 B50C

    / \ | http://www.die-welt.net - sargentd@jabber.ccc.de

  3. Re: Help! PCMCIA Wifi card freezes system

    I don't know if it works on windows - my only laptop runs debian
    exclusively.

    I will try the card on a friend's laptop.

    Even if this is a hardware problem, is there any reason it should freeze the
    kernel?

    Thanks,

    James Utter

    On 07/03/07, Evgeni Golov wrote:

    > On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 18:36:37 +1100 James Utter wrote:
    >
    > > Hi. I bought a Netgear WG511T 108Mbs (cardbus) network card for use
    > > with my Toshiba Portege 4010, which runs Debian testing, kernel
    > > 2.6.18-3 (and a custom 2.6.20).
    > >
    > > When I plug the card in, my laptop freezes immediately.

    > Hm, had same symptoms with my wg511t too. Does the system freeze if you
    > use Windows? Or annother system (a different laptop)? If yes, ask
    > Netgear for a new one. I got one (even if I thought I was out of
    > warranty).
    >
    > > Sometimes the system continues to run as normal if I unplug the card.
    > > In these cases I get to read the error messages.

    > Same was here
    >
    > Regards
    > Evgeni
    >
    > --
    > ^^^ | Evgeni -SargentD- Golov (sargentd@die-welt.net)
    > d(O_o)b | GPG/PGP-Key-ID: 0xAC15B50C
    > >-|-< | 0C04 F872 0963 ADC9 AA83 882B 24A0 1418 AC15 B50C

    > / \ | http://www.die-welt.net - sargentd@jabber.ccc.de
    >

    > --

  4. Re: Help! PCMCIA Wifi card freezes system

    It turns out that it was a hardware problem with the card.