coppermine (piii) cpufreq on toshiba satellite 2800-s202 - Debian

This is a discussion on coppermine (piii) cpufreq on toshiba satellite 2800-s202 - Debian ; Hi, I've been trying to enable throttling (cpufreq) on a coppermine (pentium iii) stepping 6, but I haven't had success. This is under a toshiba satellite 2800-s202. I've compiled kernel even selecting the option relaxed check (of course specifying right ...

  1. coppermine (piii) cpufreq on toshiba satellite 2800-s202

    Hi,

    I've been trying to enable throttling (cpufreq) on a coppermine
    (pentium iii) stepping 6, but I haven't had success. This is under a
    toshiba satellite 2800-s202.

    I've compiled kernel even selecting the option relaxed check (of
    course specifying right processor and such). This processor
    corresponds to the speedstep-smi module, and I've even tried all
    suggestions under:

    http://powersave.sourceforge.net/powersave/Cpufreq.html

    and their combinations. I've also tried enabling modules toshiba and
    toshiba_acpi, but that doesn't seem to help on the task.

    Has anyone faced this before? Does anyone have suggestion on how to
    proceed? I can't provide the .config file right now, but later when
    getting back home I would if required... One thing is that I'm
    compiling the power stuff as modules, so I can install/uninstall them
    as required for trials, I don't think that's a problem, but maybe
    having them embedded in the kernel core helps, I don't know...

    Thanks,

    --
    Javier

  2. Re: coppermine (piii) cpufreq on toshiba satellite 2800-s202

    Javier Vasquez wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been trying to enable throttling (cpufreq) on a coppermine
    > (pentium iii) stepping 6, but I haven't had success. This is under a
    > toshiba satellite 2800-s202.
    >
    > I've compiled kernel even selecting the option relaxed check (of
    > course specifying right processor and such). This processor
    > corresponds to the speedstep-smi module, and I've even tried all
    > suggestions under:
    >
    > http://powersave.sourceforge.net/powersave/Cpufreq.html
    >
    > and their combinations. I've also tried enabling modules toshiba and
    > toshiba_acpi, but that doesn't seem to help on the task.
    >
    > Has anyone faced this before? Does anyone have suggestion on how to
    > proceed? I can't provide the .config file right now, but later when
    > getting back home I would if required... One thing is that I'm
    > compiling the power stuff as modules, so I can install/uninstall them
    > as required for trials, I don't think that's a problem, but maybe
    > having them embedded in the kernel core helps, I don't know...
    >
    > Thanks,

    AFAIK that processor doesn't support Dynamic CPU Speed Scaling.

    Ritesh
    --
    Ritesh Raj Sarraf
    RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com

  3. Re: coppermine (piii) cpufreq on toshiba satellite 2800-s202

    On Tuesday 13 February 2007, Javier Vasquez wrote:
    > I admit I'm not knowledgeable enough in the topic, but on windows the
    > processor can go from high freq to low freq under battery mode. *Also
    > the bios has an option to keep the freq high, low or dynamically set.
    > I chose by bios to be dynamically set of course. *So I'm kind of
    > perplex about your comment. *Also I read from the kernel itself that
    > speedstep-smi supports coppermine cpus with the chipset I have, but of
    > course it hadn't worked yet since I'm mailing...

    AFAIK Intel's Speedstep Technology in only implemented in the Mobile familyof
    processors from Intel. I really don't know what family the coppermine cpu
    falls under.

    > How did you confirm this cpu doesn't support throttling?

    Check for the "est" cpu flag in /proc/cpuinfo. If available, your processor
    supports the Speedstep Technology.

    Ritesh
    --
    Ritesh Raj Sarraf
    RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com
    "Necessity is the mother of invention."
    research."
    "The great are those who achieve the impossible, the petty are those who
    cannot - rrs"

  4. Re: coppermine (piii) cpufreq on toshiba satellite 2800-s202

    On Wednesday 14 February 2007, Javier Vasquez wrote:
    > The est flag doesn't show up in /proc/cpuinfo, and
    > /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info indicates no throttling suppor, but I
    > though that indicates the kernel doesn't support throttling for this
    > cpu, which doesn't imply the cpu doesn't support it. *Again I don't
    > understan how come under windows the basic speedstep function works
    > (only 2 frequences suportted), and the bios support dynamically
    > setting of the frequency, if the cpu doesn't really support any of
    > that...
    >
    > Any ways, I can accept reality, ...

    Blame Intel for that.

    The specs aren't really put for this particular processor. Now the reason why
    it isn't available is not known, probably a marketing reason.

    There was a patch long back on lkml to print a message in dmesg when this cpu
    was seen, to show that the kernel doesn't support Speedstep on this
    processor.

    I don't know the current state. Probably it won't be implemented.

    Ritesh
    --
    Ritesh Raj Sarraf
    RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com
    "Necessity is the mother of invention."
    research."
    "The great are those who achieve the impossible, the petty are those who
    cannot - rrs"

+ Reply to Thread